mtbr member

the one that got away

I was looking through some old photos when I saw this . The one I should have kept and did not the one that got away-turner_rfx.jpg.

Anyone have an old turner you wish you held on to ?

Please share

poser Administrator
    I had a turner afterburner that i rode with a front derailleur and a single crown fork for a bunch of years until it broke. Sent it back to Turner and they couldn't fix it. It had the thick gusset plates at the head tube but didn't have the holes in it. It had about 3.5" of travel and the head tube was made of the thickest aluminum tube I have ever seen used on a bike. They gave me a deal on a XCE that I swapped the burner rear end on. Finally sold that (don't miss that one) and left the turner family as too rich for my blood. Miss that afterburner though. I have a photo somewhere. I'll find it and add it to this.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I had a turner afterburner that i rode with a front derailleur and a single crown fork for a bunch of years until it broke. Sent it back to Turner and they couldn't fix it. It had the thick gusset plates at the head tube but didn't have the holes in it. It had about 3.5" of travel and the head tube was made of the thickest aluminum tube I have ever seen used on a bike. They gave me a deal on a XCE that I swapped the burner rear end on. Finally sold that (don't miss that one) and left the turner family as too rich for my blood. Miss that afterburner though. I have a photo somewhere. I'll find it and add it to this.
    can't seem to upload to MTBR right now. Here is the photo, only one I have as the bike predated my ownership of digital cameras. I think this might be a poorly scanned photo:

MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If you actually rode one you might be pretty disappointed. Bikes have come a long way in the last decade. Just threw a leg over a friend's Sultan so he could try an RFX - wow, what a contrast - and not in the Sultan's favor. As much as I enjoyed the Sultan when I had it, in comparison to the newer breed it falls far short of the mark relative to the newer bikes. Back in the day (1985?) my Fat Chance was amazing - it rode like a dream and took me on many epic rides in CO, MT and AK. It is long gone, but not the memories - and that is probably best.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    My first Turner 5 Spot with the Horst link suspension. 2002 or 2004 vintage I canít recall but I wish I still had that one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Still have one

mtbr member
    Nice pair

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer13 View Post
    Still have one

Man, those are sweet. Those early HL and Faux bar Turners were very capable bikes. The natural side wall tires on the Czar really give that bike a nice look.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Xce hl

Here is my XCE, I can't remember if it is a 2001 or 2002. Everything but the frame and seatpost has been upgraded through the years.

Shimano SLX 1x11
    Light-Bicycle 27i with CK rear
    X-Fusion Velvet fork
    Various Performance parts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails the one that got away-turnerxce.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAIG View Post
    Here is my XCE, I can't remember if it is a 2001 or 2002. Everything but the frame and seatpost has been upgraded through the years.

Shimano SLX 1x11
    Light-Bicycle 27i with CK rear
    X-Fusion Velvet fork
    Various Performance parts
    Nice xce

mtbr member
    I have one of the original 5 Spots and a 1 of 4, 6" version of that bike that was a lighter prototype of the original RFX and I'll never sell them. I do wish they would fit at least 27.5 tires but otherwise with a modern platform shock I prefer them to DW/VPP chain induced pedal feedback; but I'm def in the minority there. I bought the Lynskey Ridgeline with the Horst link sporting 27.5 hoops and 140mm of travel and it is plush.

mtbr member
    Turners rule. Pray that they secure a good welder for the new and infamous sultan

mtbr member
    Here's my old 2004 5spot, complete with an ancient water bottle from Chili Pepper bikes in Moab. I still have the spot, although I upgraded to a Pivot Mach 5.5 a year ago.

the one that got away-5spot2.jpg

mtbr member
    Dope ride. I had a romic on a 02 shorter travel Turner and it was a sweet ride. Turner will be back with some amazing rides soon! 29 dhr, sultan and King Kahn I hope.

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by smaxor View Post
    I was looking through some old photos when I saw this . The one I should have kept and did not Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turner_rfx.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	1215872.

Anyone have an old turner you wish you held on to ?

Please share
    I still have every Turner I have bought except the Highline which was not a good fit for me as I ordered a small and probably needed a medium. Currently own
    2001 RFX
    2007 5-Spot
    2009 DHR
    2012 5-spot
    2015 Czar
    2017 RFX

No regrets here

mtbr member
    with the success of colorado based GG bikes, i dont see why some new alloy turners with updated specs and geo would not do really well. I would by one

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrah View Post
    with the success of colorado based GG bikes, i dont see why some new alloy turners with updated specs and geo would not do really well. I would by one
    Getting stuff welded in the US is not so simple unless you do your own welding.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.