One of the best reasons to buy a Spot,- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

One of the best reasons to buy a Spot,

you guy's have such a rock'n (busy) forum, man, over at the Yeti board I sometimes cant even buy someone to talk rides with!
    I do love the way my 575 handles and rides, but Im always lookin to upgrade a part or even a frame. Do you guy's think I would notice the loss of 3/4's of an inch by going to a 5 Spot?
    Ive been lurking here for sometime now, and the Spot has had my attention for a long time. They have simular geometry other than the top tube length, my small 575 has a 22.4" top tube and the medium Spot is 23". I think the small Spot would be to small for me. I spoke to Dave Turner today and he thinks the med. with a short stem would me the best for me.

Anyway, what do you 5'er guy's think?

Lay off the Levers

U.G.I. Say it with me....Up...Grade...Itis

Quote Originally Posted by ride red
    you guy's have such a rock'n (busy) forum, man, over at the Yeti board I sometimes cant even buy someone to talk rides with!
    I do love the way my 575 handles and rides, but Im always lookin to upgrade a part or even a frame. Do you guy's think I would notice the loss of 3/4's of an inch by going to a 5 Spot?
    (warning lots of guesstimates and opinion based only on what I've read on MTBR)
    3/4" can be significant but the difference can often be mitigated by how the bike uses the available travel, and how it behaves at the limits. I don't have any experience with how the Yeti rides but I've read it's quite nice. I do know the Turner line uses it's travel in such a way that it really feels like much more than as rated. They also have a real good ability to mask the bottom-out point...at least I can't seem to feel it.

But you really need to compare for yourself before you decide. For some comparison opinion, do a search for Tscheezy's experience on the 575...he rented one during his roadtrip. He owns a 'spot and an XCE. I believe he posted his thoughts in both this forum and in the Yeti forum.

Think real hard... is there something you feel is missing from your bike...other than the sense of community? Y'know you can always visit here . Far be it from me to suggest anything other than buying a Turner though....far...far...far be it from me .

Cheers!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member

Get the Spot

I run a medium 5 Spot with a 75mm stem and I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam if that helps on sizing. And yes like most of the rest of the people on this forum I have to reccomend the 5 Spot. With the 5 Spot having a true Horst link as opposed to the flex link on the Yeti being on the seat stay I'm betting the 5 Spot feels more plush. A freind of mine has an Id with the same travel as the Yeti and when he rode my bike he said the Turner was a better decender and allmost as good a climber as the Id. My bike rides better than my 6 inch Bullet too. The design can make up for a disadvantage in trvel as long as is not a couple of inches.

mtbr member
    Thanks guy's, Im always in the Turner forums as again the Yeti boards havent been touched for 20+ hours

Slowrider, you and I are the same height, and I run short stems on my bikes, one reason is I like a more uprite position like an MX bike. But the small looks to be to small so the medium would be the size to try. One question for you, when riding your bike, looking down at the front wheel, do you sit behind it at all? Or more over it?
    Bob

Bon Vie
    Haven't had an opportunity to test the Yeti so I have to concur with 'Zilla. Is this a bout of U.G.I. that we all face from time to time? Wheels, brakes, bars.........frames, we all get it . I've had my Spot for 4 months now and have loved every minute of it. Suffering a bit of separation anxiety now as she's being shipped back from Flagstaff. If you decide to make that move however, welcome aboard .

Kevin