mtbr member
    Dec 2004

old rfx or new 5 spot?

I have decided to pull the trigger on a turner frame. I do not have the ability to demo one first, but I do buy into build quality and hand built USA pride. I have always owned santa cruz single pivot stuff. Going from a bullit to a heckler was sorta a shock, as I was always blowing through travel on the heckler maybe cause it was a dhx air vs coil on bullits. Head angle made the bike feel sketchy on the downs. I never really worried about pedal bob or getting to the top of the hill fast so I am not opposed to the rfx design.

I have the opportunity to buy a nice used rfx but because of the turner sale I can afford a new 5 spot. Tight twisty technical rocky New england style trails, no drops over 3 ft to flat. Hate to admit it but I am getting older and dont do to much hucking anymore. I think the 5 spot would be better for all around stuff but then there is the occasional lift assisted dh trip that has got me worried. I am thinking I could put a coil on the 5 spot as I have seen some guys have done. If I go rfx I can afford a new lyric or fox 36, but If I go 5 spot it would be an older 66light for now still a 160mm fork. The price on the used rfx is obviously better but I am willing to spend the 2k on the new one. I ask you die hard turner guys who have ride time on both which would you do? Going to order or buy the rfx by Sat, any help is appreciated

Big Test Icycles
    I would go for the new 5Spot. If your 66 is 07' or older you have a good fork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Between those two choices I would go with the 5 Spot and maybe rent for those lift service days. If you were willing to wait untill after InterBike there be other choices showing up in the classifieds as people see the newest offerings and sell off there current rides.

mtbr member
    Normally I would say the dw on the spot blows away the suspension on the rfx. However, I grew up mtbing in that part of the country and have 6 years in the area on a rfx. If you ride uber rocky tech trails and your lift days are going to be highland, diablo, or whiteface get the rfx. The rfx's active suspension will peddle/brake/behave better in the chunk than any design that relies on chain tension, trust me on this.

mtbr member
    I went with the 5Spot, regretted it, sold the 5Spot and got an 2002 RFX instead. OTOH, I did the Portes du Soleil on de 5Spot and it was perfectly capable of tackling the DH tracks in France. It might not be as fast as a >7" bike, but you get uphill a lot faster. It pedals better then the RFX, but the RFX has very little pedal feedback and that in the end was the reason why I went with the RFX.

I must say, this was the first DW 5Spot and since the frame has evolved. E.g. the head angle has slackened (I always felt the head angle was too steep).

banned
    why don't you do both there are quite a RFX floating around real cheep there is a frame on pink bike selling for 400 dollars.
    build it up with your parts off the SC and then plan on the 5 spot

Committed
    5 Spot, no question. I went from an 08 RFX to a 09 5 Spot and felt the Spot out performed the RFX in all areas. The 11 Spot has more aggressive geo and likes the techy stuff even better.
    I hung onto my RFX for a while just in case, but ended up selling it and have not regretted it.

mtbr member
    Consider how high the bottom bracket is. The last version of the RFX it was fairly high. Nice for all the east coast chunk but the current trend is lower.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    What size spot are you looking for? If you're over 6'+ I may be able to help you with a slightly used 2011 XL.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    is a 170 mm fork going to be a problem on the 5 spot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    5 Spot, no question. I went from an 08 RFX to a 09 5 Spot and felt the Spot out performed the RFX in all areas. The 11 Spot has more aggressive geo and likes the techy stuff even better.
    I hung onto my RFX for a while just in case, but ended up selling it and have not regretted it.
    While I would agree there is an exception and that would be NE chunk where you can literally ride trails that never touch dirt. No suspension design that relies on chain tension will perform as well as a four or faux bar design like the rfx in those conditions period.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kotajack View Post
    is a 170 mm fork going to be a problem on the 5 spot
    The max spec is 160mm, so you void the warranty. The fork will be a lot taller than designed for, so this will change the geometry quite a lot.

Beer swillin' rabble ridr
    Aug 2008
    Get the Spot, I respectfully disagree with bigjc here. I ride here in NE too. The old horst links or faux bars suck at out of the saddle pedaling. IMO my dw is better everywhere and I rode my old 4 bar for 5 years. Do agree that the higher bb ht can help with pedaling thru chunk though. If the spot fells twitchy you can get an angleset to fix that.
    Drink beer all day

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks for all the help. Ended up going with a used rfx today. I like my 66 and its longer than 160mm and was not ready to replace it yet. That kinda sealed the deal on the 5 spot. The 5 spots are awesome looking and I do want to ride one. I figured I would ride the rfx til the dw rfx shows up in the future.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You won't regret your choice; waiting as well. In the mean time the Sultan fills the gap of the 5-Spot/trail/AM category. The only question I have is if my intended purpose will warrent a RFX or DHR. Personally I hope the RFX will retain the bushings.

Bikes are good
    The new 11 spot with a 36 on the front end makes for a stout xcountry ride, and manages itself okay in the park. I'd buy the spot, you'll use it more, and look for an RFX later.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

thumping

Yesterday riding Laguna with one of my sons, switching around, spent some time on a 5 Spot with 36 160 and appropriate tires, the lower BB and slacker than old RFX HA were just what the steeps of the Beach demand. Just to be a proud papa, by son was killing all the moves his first time on that bike and those trails, at 16 he aint a little kid anymore and his riding was amazing on the beefy Spot. Maybe a 14+ is good in the east, but on the steeps here in SoCal the sub 14 BB is a plus. Horses for courses.

DT

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Yesterday riding Laguna with one of my sons, switching around, spent some time on a 5 Spot with 36 160 and appropriate tires, the lower BB and slacker than old RFX HA were just what the steeps of the Beach demand. Just to be a proud papa, by son was killing all the moves his first time on that bike and those trails, at 16 he aint a little kid anymore and his riding was amazing on the beefy Spot. Maybe a 14+ is good in the east, but on the steeps here in SoCal the sub 14 BB is a plus. Horses for courses.

DT
    You should consider having a couple Spots setup that way in the demo fleet for OuterBike. I'm about to put a 36 Talas with a flush lower cup on my 2011 Spot, waiting on the headset to arrive. It should be about the perfect setup for this bike