Old frame- Mtbr.com

Thread: Old frame

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Old frame

Hey guys,

I know that this is a long shot but I had to ask. I am thinking about building my dad a bike. We used to ride a lot when I was a kid(annual trips to Moab and hundreds of miles in the PNW) and now he probably hasn't been on a bike in 10 years, and I know that the old hardtail Cannondale sitting in his garage is not going to be comfortable for a 60 year old guy, even though he still rides and races desert motorcycles. haha.

Anyways I was just looking for an older frames that was maybe just sitting in someone's garage that you would sell me. He is about 6' and 190-200lbs. I would love to find something like a 2003-2006 Spot or RFX, or even a 2002 XCE would be perfect. I don't want to spend a lot of money on the frame since I don't know if he will be interested in riding again, but since I moved to Denver and he lives in Moab, it would be awesome to ride with him again!

Thanks,
    Ryan Scott
    Last edited by scottryana; 05-01-2010 at 10:52 PM.

Moosehead
    Lemme think, what old guy that used to hang around here may want to get rid of his perfectly solid vintage 5 Spot?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It doesn't have to be perfectly solid, I can deal with missing paint, worn out bushings etc. I just want to get him on a good suspension design. 15 years ago he always wanted a Santa Cruz single pivot, but I think even a Flux would be better then that. Besides he is a little older now and I think he would benefit from a more relaxed upright ride.

Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    Lemme think, what old guy that used to hang around here may want to get rid of his perfectly solid vintage 5 Spot?

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    Who are you calling old? I'm well preserved.
    It's vintage, in mint shape, and I'm not going to just give it away.

Last edited by Renegade; 05-02-2010 at 07:16 AM.

mtbr member

I have one!

I have an 04' burner Large frame in great condition. I will post it in the classifieds this week with pics and a price.
    Too wet to ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well guys I hate to say it, but I was having a tough time finding a good Large frame that wasn't too expensive.

I ended up going with a Chumba.....

I was able to get a brand new, VF2 for $875 with a front der, seatpost, saddle and headset. I would rather have seen him on a 5 Spot, but hopefully this gets him out on the trails again!!!

Ryan.

Members who have read this thread: 0