O2 or XCE- Mtbr.com

Thread: O2 or XCE

mtbr member

O2 or XCE

A while back when I was looking at a couple of older bikes that I own and don't ride very often I thought to myself.... If I found an O2 or XCE frame I could take the parts off that and have something nice to compliment the Flux and Spot and an extra bike I'd actually use.

In the last of a couple of days I've actually located an O2 and XCE frame for sale and don't know which way to lean.

On one hand the O2 would be nice and would make a nice 3, 4, 5 inch travel (nominal) grouping and I like fast XC bikes, but on the other hand an XCE could be nice as a more rugged shorter travel bike fitting in between the Flux and Spot in some respects.

So I'm after opinons from those in the know....

For those of you who have ridden Turner bikes for a few years now and have ridden or owned an O2 or XCE which frame did you prefer and how would you compare them to the newer Flux and Spot frames?

I wouldn't expect either to ride as well as the newer frames in terms of outright performance but should be light years ahead of the Aluminium hardtail which isn't being used at the moment.

Let me know what you think.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If you do get an XCE or O2, look carefully at the main pivot location. Midway through the life of the XCE Turner move the pivot from directly behind the BB up and forward, so that it's in the position of the current bikes. My personal experience is that this improved the climbing ability of the bike noticably.

Bite Me.
    I miss my old O2 - the frames were really beautiful and light. If you opted for the XCE I think you would have a bike with the Flux's travel and the strength of the Spot but that really didn't ride as well as either one. On the other hand, you could set up the O2 as a true 3" short travel ultralight XC race machine and fill a niche that your other bikes don't quite hit. She was pretty wasn't she?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    now that makes more sence to me. i say go for the o2. i love the old bikes and i may be addin a 2nd to my stable if its still around by the time i have the cash. its not very current but it sure is fun!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Another vote for the 02.

"but on the other hand an XCE could be nice as a more rugged shorter travel bike fitting in between the Flux and Spot"

I consider and ride my 2001 02 as a rugged short travel trail bike and have ridden the snot out of it since new. I live close to the Tahoe area so Hole in the Ground, Rim Trail, Toads, etc. all are part of my regular summer riding. I've also taken the 02 to Moab and just last weekend did Chrismas Valley in the Hope Valley area (prime fall colors!).

I realise that I'm using the bike somewhat outside of it's design parameters but other than a few bushing replacements the frame hasn't failed me yet. When it does, I have my sights on a 5 Spot. And just so you know, I'm 175 lbs. and ride hard and fast but am a finesse rider. Also, big air to me means 2 feet or less.

This is what the bikes looked like when new. I currently have a Talas up front (set to 90mm) and XCE rockers for 3.6" rear travel. As an aside, I tried the XR rockers but just couldn't retain the razor sharp handling and never could "dial in" the wallowy rear end.

Bottom line, me thinks the XCE would be too much overlap with the Flux and Spot, get the 02 for best fit with the other bikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bite Me.
    It looks like you get an extra inch of travel just by rigging your saddle like that
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    It looks like you get an extra inch of travel just by rigging your saddle like that
    Yeah, if I could get longer rails I'd be in Six Pack territory.........now if I could only affix a shock with rebound........

For the record, the picture was taken right after assembly without any adjustments. Look closely, there is one glaring ommision you missed.

BTW - Your old avitar was way mo betta than the current doublespeak dude.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Geez, nutty....get a setback post!

Im shocked you havent broken the seat rails yet!

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnutty
    Look closely, there is one glaring ommision you missed.
    Easy - no EBM.

mtbr member

Good job! Avitar is back...Yes!!

Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    Easy - no EBM.
    EBM??

Devil,

After rereading your post it seems you answered your own question-

"On one hand the O2 would be nice and would make a nice 3, 4, 5 inch travel (nominal) grouping and I like fast XC bikes, but on the other hand an XCE could be nice as a more rugged shorter travel bike fitting in between the Flux and Spot in some respects".

Get the 02. Just my 02
    Last edited by mtbnutty; 10-25-2006 at 07:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Nutty, I've looked at you photo serveal times and still can't spot a glaring ommission - unless its the crome look Turner stickers. Any hints??

Anyway it looks like the 02 is a clear favourite at this stage based on the comments so far.

One big question I have though is it "O" for Orange or a "Zero" in 02, and how should be pronounced? ie is it "Oh Two", "Zero Two" or maybe even Oxygen in simple text, and how did Dave come up with the name?

Members who have read this thread: 0