o2 vs. burner- Mtbr.com

Thread: o2 vs. burner

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

o2 vs. burner

coming from a singlespeed for the last 4 years, I'm thinking the lighter, shorter travel o2 is better for me if I can find one.

any thoughts on durability of 2 year old o2's and anyone know of someone selling one?

I'm planning on building a 9 speed full suspended bike and these seems great?

Thanks for any feedback.
    Cheers
    W

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Turner 02

Quote Originally Posted by holiday
    coming from a singlespeed for the last 4 years, I'm thinking the lighter, shorter travel o2 is better for me if I can find one.

any thoughts on durability of 2 year old o2's and anyone know of someone selling one?

Thanks for any feedback.
    Cheers
    W
    What size might you be looking for.I have a 16.5"(late 2001)That I just got around to building.Have been spending $ and time DH racing.I have put about 20 miles on it then I tore my ACL racing DH.I could use the cash so if you have any questions let me know.

jra

Good job! Two years on an O2

Thanks for any feedback.
    Cheers
    W
    It's an 18" 2002 O2. It climbs like crazy and is very solid and balanced elsewhere. It makes a great all day ride or race machine for those that like to go fast uphill. The Burner deals out there including Larry at Mountain High Cyclery are at a great price, though.

The O2's are designed for an 80mm fork up front with 3.1" rear vs. the Burner aims for 100mm up front and 3.6" rear travel. The O2's use Easton tubing, the Burner uses . My 18" weighs around a 1/2 lbs less than a medium Burner if you're worried about that.

I should be heading your way at the end of next week. I'll PM you to see if we can hook you up for a test ride on my machine to give you a feel before you drop any $$.
    seasick

(Hey, that was my first MTBR post!)

mtbr member
    My 2002 02 has been great. Throw on the XCE rockers and you have 3.6" travel. seasick, that's the first I've read about 02s using Easton tubing - that's nice. I've been looking for a large 02 frame for some time now - they are not so easy to come across.

jra

O2 Easton and XCE rockers

Quote Originally Posted by jennasdad
    My 2002 02 has been great. Throw on the XCE rockers and you have 3.6" travel. seasick, that's the first I've read about 02s using Easton tubing - that's nice. I've been looking for a large 02 frame for some time now - they are not so easy to come across.
    What does the XCE rocker changeout do to the standard BB height and ST/HT angles with a 100mm fork added to the front? I've thought about doing this to my O2 (and still may), but right now I hope to keep the O2 at it's current geometry and add a 5 Spot to the mix when possible. How could I lose having both?

The Easton tubing logo is imbeded just behind the head tube on the top tube beneath the paint - at least it is on my 2002. When I first picked up the frame I thought it was a paint blem. It's nice to have smart guys at the LBS.
    seasick

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer
    What size might you be looking for.I have a 16.5"(late 2001)That I just got around to building.Have been spending $ and time DH racing.I have put about 20 miles on it then I tore my ACL racing DH.I could use the cash so if you have any questions let me know.
    I am interested in your frame. I have been looking for a used Burner or Racer X, but an 02 may be better for me. I paln on running 80mm forks. Can you give me some more info, price, condition, color.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2004

Cantilever

That time when the O2 frame was available there was a cantilever option. Does anyone know if there still are parts to turn the O2 into a canti bike? Is this option also available for the Burner.

thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muggel
    That time when the O2 frame was available there was a cantilever option. Does anyone know if there still are parts to turn the O2 into a canti bike? Is this option also available for the Burner.

thanks
    Turner made adaptors that will allow you to run canti-brakes. Whether or not these fit on the O2 I'm not sure, but they will fit on a Burner, XCE or 5 Spot. I've got a set for sale. Check it out here.

eastman

Good job! 2003 o2

Thanks for any feedback.
    Cheers
    W
    I have an 03 o2. Great all around bike for “general xc” use and racing. I live in MD where the trails vary from twisty windy single track, to very technical rocky terrain – and the o2 just gobbles the stuff up.

The frames are made from Easton…it’s hard to miss the predominant Easton stamps on the polished frame.

And, stick with the reg o2 setup…quality 80mm fork in the front and 3.1 in the rear. The balance, BB height, and height at which you ride (or center of gravity) with this configuration…is something that flows like no other sled I’ve ridden - trail after trail, mile after mile…

Let me know if you need any specific info…

Enjoy, and send a pic after you set things up!

-e