Thread: Is this normal

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Is this normal

After taking apart to grease, I went to reasemble the horstlink pivot and found it
    out of alignment by about 3/8 inch, A pretty big push to get things back toghether,
    also both didnt seem to want to go in at the same time? Any input would be appreciated
    Last edited by outlaw; 12-11-2005 at 08:04 AM.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    i had a similar issue with my '96 burner. never seemed to be a big deal in ride quality even though it looked like it woulda been. just squeeze and insert. life is good.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    After it's all bolted up take out the shock and move the suspension though it's travel I suspect you will find that it works ok.
    The pre tension away from the drive side will actually even things out while you are pedaling, so it is actually a bit of an advantage !! in that it ofset's the torque from the chain.
    The side load of a few lbs is not much compared to the 100's of pounds the rear triangle has to deal with.
    I have heard that this situation has been posted before and a new rear triangle was the result but for a small deflection ??

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Bigger than I've seen on either my XCE or Spot. Might be worth a call to Turner on Monday.

No, that's not phonetic
    My Spot is off by a little bit too. Can't remember exactly how much, but similar to yours. It does not cause any additional wear whatsoever (no difference in the Horst link wear between the two sides or between those Horsts and the others on my other Turners). Not pretty, but a total non-issue. I'm surprised this happens as the rear ends must sit in a rigid jig when welded up.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Same thing on my XCE...off by just a bit, but necer a ride quality issue. Pretty normal.

mtbr member

I've seen this before...

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoBiker
    Same thing on my XCE...off by just a bit, but necer a ride quality issue. Pretty normal.
    When I lived in the south, they race cars on oval tracks & only make left turns. I bet therein lies your problem-you have ony been turning left w/ your spot

JDub
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    and there ya go. end of thread! hehe
    No, I'm NOT back!

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

No worry

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    My Spot is off by a little bit too. Can't remember exactly how much, but similar to yours. It does not cause any additional wear whatsoever (no difference in the Horst link wear between the two sides or between those Horsts and the others on my other Turners). Not pretty, but a total non-issue. I'm surprised this happens as the rear ends must sit in a rigid jig when welded up.
    When the welds cool, things can get a little ouf of alignment. And also during heat treat and even powder coating. Compare the force it takes to force it into position with the forces you put on the frame - it's nothing. It's so small that I would'n worry about it.

Ole.

banned
    Mine is aligned symmetrically, but even things can happen with the riding, as well as the temperature the frame was pulled apart at.

Wouldn't worry.

Members who have read this thread: 0