• RF 8sp 22-32-44 chainrings
    I then swapped out to the following:
    • '08 X9 shifters
    • M770 11-34 cassette
    • CN-7701 chain
    • '08 X9 rear derailleur
    • same old front derailleur
    • RF 9sp 22-32-44 chainrings
    My rear drivetrain is noticeably louder when in the largest two or three cogs of the cassette, whether I'm in the inner or middle chainring. The first few miles of a ride are nice and quiet, as my chain is nice and slick from the night before's lubing. After 10 miles though, and I'm flat out annoyed. Why is this so much louder? Where can I place the blame? Is it because of the X9 jockey pullies, the M770 11-34 cassette, the CN-7701 chain? Everything seems to shift better when running more than the 1/4" space between cog and upper jocky pulley. I'm kind of frustrated and starting to wish I would have just gone with the '08 M770 shifters and a Shadow rear derailleur. My chainline doesn't seem out of wack. I measure 50mm from center of BB shell to center of middle ring.

By the way, anybody who tells me I could have saved money by going with the '07 X9 combo from PricePoint needs to learn to shop from Larry.

ETA - 11-34 not 12-34
    Last edited by royta; 07-30-2008 at 04:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I just recently built up a Flux, and stepped off a 10 yer old hardtail.. The hardtail had:
    M373 8spd 11-30 cassette (1yr old - lots of miles)
    HG93 Chain (replaced with the cassette - .70 stretched according to my Park Chain checker.
    Raceface Team rings. (1yr old)
    M952 Rapidrise XTR rear Der. (Original issue on the bike - Jockey pulleys all had pointed teeth)
    M737 XT 8s Shifters

The Hardtail still shifted and ran as smooth as can be.

The flux got
    XTR M975 Shifters
    XTR M971 Rapidrise RD
    XT M770 Cranks/Rings
    SRAM 990 Cassette - 11-34
    SRAM 991 Hollowpin chain

Fir the first 5 rides or so, I really felt like the entire setup wasn't shifting as crisp as my older gear used to, I was second guessing mixing the SRAM chain/cassette with the Shimano Cranks and other parts. It wasn't bad, just didn't feel quite as "sorted" - and it was a little noiser.

After finally deciding to degrease everything, get the factory lube off the chain, and then relube. That made a good difference for me, and then I put about a hundred more miles on it, and it has settled in to a really good feeling drivetrain. I seriously believe that relying on the factory chain lube at first was a mistake on my part. I should have swapped to my Rock N Roll lube as soon as I built the bike.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    thats not chain lube, thats anti rust spooge otherwise known as cosmolene. always soak a new chain in simple green or somethin similar then hang dry for 12 hours if not a full day and re-lube with yer fave. i dig rock n roll or t-9 boshield but still hang onto a bottle of krytech.

it takes time to break in a new drivetrain. theres burrs and sharp edges that need to wear smooth out before things go quiet. cable stretch can also play a part as can a "almost" good tune.
    No, I'm NOT back!

banned
    As a note- SRAM chains actually have a lube on them. Shimano chains have only an anti-rust coating. Don't know about KMC and other brands.

yeah, but what lube? if yer like me id rather trust what i know works. ive not found the sram stuff to work well in the past.
    No, I'm NOT back!

banned
    Gleitmo.

banned
    Gleitmo.

banned
    GLEITMO. Googling that, plus "SRAM" will yield more info.

whats it called again?
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Irrelevant he switched to a XTR chain and XT crankset

I agree with CC though things take bit to wear in stretch etc! if its all shifting sweet wich it should do then just ride it till it gets smooth RnR is good stuff just wipe it all off then its on don't use like regular lube! Ya prob know that already!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

banned
    slow internet sucks. I can't believe such an advanced, industrial nation has slower internet than developing countries.

a total side bar here: hows life over there man? hope you 2 are diggin it.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    slow internet sucks. I can't believe such an advanced, industrial nation has slower internet than developing countries.
    Tell me about it I can get out and run faster than my BB we suck straws not pipes
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    a total side bar here: hows life over there man? hope you 2 are diggin it.
    Life is great. Riding is good, whether we're up in the trails at the top of the hill in the city, or whether we're riding around the city on dedicated bike lanes and a dedicated "highway" for bikes along the Elbe River.

I've derailed a bunch of threads with my thoughts about things here.

Plus side:

High speeds on the Autobahn (but mostly is restricted to 130kmh)
    Bike lanes making going to the store or anywhere in the city free and easy.
    Car hasn't been used in weeks.
    Home build quality is much better- concrete and steel, stays cool in the summer, warm in winter.
    Bratwurst with Hela Curry Ketchup and Lowensenf Sharf Mustard
    Cheap food
    Willingen
    Turkish Doners are great.

Negatives:

High fuel prices, though they are offset by many times over by not needing the car for daily life.
    Jams on the Autobahn
    One must shop around the entire EU for bike parts. Somewhat expensive here.
    All the men have mullets, like in 1989. Spiked up top, rattails on the back. If not, then they dress like the New Kids on the Block in 1988, along with the hairstyles, then act hardcore like Donny.
    People aren't as friendly and you can't strike up a conversation easily with other mountain bikers or get friendly help.
    Pizza is garbage here.

There's way more, but that detracts from the OP's point. I do

Basically, in summation, where you see a sign like below entering a FR trail you know things are good. Keeps the government involved in maintaining recreation, and limits the power of the local bike clubs (who inevitably become self-serving when they become too powerful and it benefits no one).

Ultimate Poseur
    Ketchup on Bratwurst? Blasphemy!!!

TLL
    mtbr member

lass die Wurst nicht draußen herumliegen

I have similar (tho not as severe) noise issues whenever I add a new chain. Goes away after a while.

Hy CC, ever oven-dry your chains? 15 min @ 300 does the trick for me. Use mitts.

no... delicious! but then again, my middle name is danger.

sounds like the pros far outweigh the cons. glad to hear yer happy in the new digs pal. as i pulled outta town, i saw a younger couple ridin a full on off road tourin honda flyin the circular stars on my way to the race last weekend. there seemed to be a mutual respect thing goin on as we scoped out eachothers machines. lots of pointing and thumbs up from both lanes. anyway, it made me wonder how things were and now ive asked.
    No, I'm NOT back!

never tried that trick. normally im not that pressed for time but i can see how it could work if i was. mitts? a real man would use his butt cheeks.
    No, I'm NOT back!

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    I have similar (tho not as severe) noise issues whenever I add a new chain. Goes away after a while.
    The sound is only in the largest two or three cogs though. It is also a sound I can not recall experiencing since I started riding in 1993. It's like the sound of a noisy, not creaky, dry chain. It's almost like the chain and jockey pulleys and/or cogs aren't meshing together like they should. Very frustrating. Hopefully the sound will go away in the next 100 miles. I'm off to subtract 20 from that 100 right now.

some well chosen pics might help. nuthin SOUNDS outta wack.
    No, I'm NOT back!

over researcher
    In preparation for Saturday morning's ride, I spent some more time on the problem Friday night. I noticed the chain is ultra close to to the next largest cog when in the upper cogs, but there is noticeable space between the chain and the next largest cog when down in the lower cogs. I also noticed while on Saturday's ride that when the cable is dialed to perfection in the lower cogs that the shifting was ever so slightly sloppy in the upper cogs. Saturday night I pulled the derailleur hanger off and layed it flat on the counter top comparing it to a new hanger. I ended up bolting on the new hanger and now there is no difference in chain to next upper cog clearance along the entire cassette. I'll report on the larger cog noise after my next decent sized ride. Probably shouldn't be any later than Tuesday evening. There's a chance that could be the problem, but there is serious cross chain between the middle chainring and the upper two cogs. Though, the cross chain can't be fully blamed since the noise is still there when in the inner chainring, only quieter.

what...?
    It sounds like your RF cranks are at fault....please send them to me
    Without love in a dream it will never come true

over researcher
    Sure, why not. I have a brand new set too. I moved as much useable existing components over from my hardtail when I built my Flux, including my silver RF Turbine LP 110/74 cranks. I could have moved my silver King HS and Ti Syncros Pro seatpost, but my goal was to go black on everything. I found a used set and brand new set of black RF Turbine LP 94/58 cranks on eBay. I'm having a hard time convincing myself that there's anything wrong with square taper.

Update - All I've done since my 17.5 mile dusty ride on Saturday was to brush off the chain, chage the derailleur hanger, and dial in the barrel adjuster. The shifting is fine throughout the entire cassette, though I'm looking forward a rough trail ride, as I would sometimes get ghost shifts when the rear suspension cycled. While riding around the neighborhood with my kids, I've noticed the drivetrain noise is quite diminished in the upper two to three cogs. I was also mistaken about my chainline. There is no serious cross chain when in the upper two cogs while in the middle ring. Sure, it's there, but nothing more than bike with proper chainline.

its beginnin to sound like a bent hanger and maybe some badly spaced cranks-b/bkt are at fault. have ya put a tool on the hanger to check it? whats yer spacer arrangement on the b/bkt cups?

and fer gawds sake, take some pics! its like callin a doc and askin, "i cant come into the office but it hurts when i press here. whats wrong?"
    No, I'm NOT back!

Dishwasher Safe
    Since the sound is only in the three upper cogs of the cassette, I can't help but wonder if it has to do with the difference between the Ti cogs from the cassette you removed, and the steel cogs of the new cassette. Just a thought...

M950:

Members who have read this thread: 0