Just roll it......

Good job! NEWS FLASH: Turner owners are A-OK!

Yo peeps,

Just got back from 10 days in HI. Did 5 days on the big island (Kona specifically) for our friends' wedding and then headed to Maui to hook up with Airwreck, Shaheeb and their crew (including whodaphuck) for riding and hanging out.

Have to give a HUGE shout out to the Maui guys for their hospitality. Anyone that goes to Maui and doesn't hook up with them for a ride is missing out. Airwreck and his better half took us surfing a couple of days (well, they surfed and we got spin cycled!), I got a couple of days of riding with them on their trails and I also did an afternoon riding moto's with Shaheeb. Not to my surprise, both Shaheeb and Airwreck have the same level of skills on the surfboard that they've got on the bikes (Rob on the moto as well).

My wife and E's better half got a few pics (of course, they're dark cause we're in the forest), but there were a few good shots of Robbie and an uber grom named Dane that surfs in the late morning and rides bikes in the afternoon.....I want this kid's life!! Anyway, we hit a bunch of the stuff including a new-ish jump line that has some pretty meaty sized gaps (10 - 35'ish feet). I didn't go for them all, but Rob and Dane (uber grom) were hitting the entire line and Airwreck was hitting all but the last one. I was aboard Shaheeb's medium highline which handled great and predictable for me. It was sprung slightly to firm for my weight, but it was a rad of Robbie to loan it to me!

On the way out, we were bombing through the forest in very low light and I was on AW's wheel hitting gaps and railing berms. AW was giving me a head's up on them, but nothing like hitting 10+ foot gaps for the first time blind on someone else's bike. Unfortunately, on a little ravine section near the end, my buddy (Joel) took a tumble when he hit a boulder (by this point it was totally dark) and went OTB and broke his collar bone. AW's gal works at the hospital, so she took him down there and snapped his xrays to confirm it was a broken collarbone. Needless to say, Joel was drinking Rum and pain killers the rest of the week.

Just to avoid a "no pic" thread, here's one of my wife taking a shot of surfers at Hanalua Bay.

Cheers,
    EB

P.S. Shaheeb's in Seattle later this week, so I'll be accommodating him with a Shore trip with the homies and a loaner bike as well.

Lay off the Levers
    Sounds like a dream vacation (Cept the injury). AW, you got it good man... real REAL good!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

"Its All Good"
    Sweet write up EB, sounds a blast............ Some more pics wouldnt go astray bro!
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Amphibious Technologies
    Sweet!!! Sounds like those guys built some fun trails. Can't wait to see the ride pics.

Where did you guys ride moto?

I'll be there next week but am afraid I can't ride as I'm booked for diving (too many dive sites, so little time...).
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    Where did you guys ride moto?
    Robbie went easy on me and we just rode north of Hanalua Bay (north of Lahaina) since I was on the west side. There's a small home-grown dirt track that we sessioned for a while and then we did some killer trail riding right along the coast. He was doubling up the jumps on the track while I was flailing around (it'd been a while since I had ridden motos). Pretty damn nice of him to loan me his CRF 250 (totally tricked out, of course) to ride!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    AW, you got it good man... real REAL good!
    Zilla, you don't even know dude. Honestly, their trails are a blast, but I'm surprised they get any riding in at all considering how close they are to the surf spots. What's crazier is that AW's better half is even more of a die-hard surfer and rips on the bike as well.

Cheers,
    EB

FM
    mtbr member
    Rad. Nothing else to say at this time.

~~~~~~~~
    glad you were able to stomach the perpetual Turner Homer Convention that we got going on here.

we were really blessed with great conditions, next time we'll take you on the really fun trails (as opposed to the send it or die ones) and show you where the tools are .

thinking I should walk across the street and go surfing now, yep, life is tough here.

oh, and thanks for not mentioning that bike Jewels was riding .

I'll see what I can do for some pics and vids but I think they're all of Dane, he sure makes us look lame .

btw, I did hit the last one, focker hit back!

Leash Law Enforcer
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    I was aboard Shaheeb's medium highline which handled great and predictable for me. It was sprung slightly to firm for my weight, but it was a rad of Robbie to loan it to me!
    Definitely cool of him. Did AW happen to set you up with a loaner fork?

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinch
    Definitely cool of him. Did AW happen to set you up with a loaner fork?
    we were able to set him up with an equivalent surfboard .

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    Sounds like I'm missing out on an inside joke, fellas! Do tell.

Anyway, Robbie's bike was operating smoothly with not even a creak. Thankfully, he had the V3 stays on his '07 Highline, so I wasn't worried about blowing it up on the 20+ footers.

Just kidding.....their gaps all had the smoothest trannies and were totally hardtail worthy. Actually, the "lester" gap was probably the only one I landed hard on and that's ~20-25'ish, but it's got a short, flat tranny that is very easy to overshoot.

As for the surfboard, I rode Rob's 9' longboard and CBX used one of AW and Jewel's longboards. Both worked fine for our VERY novice skills. They were using 6' and 6'4" play boards and tearing sh*t up. I think jewels was catching waves at least 2:1.....needless to say, she rips!

Cheers,
    EB

~~~~~~~~
    Pinch is just jealous, you did great on that water logged board, Pinch was afraid to hit the jumps because the fork internals were disconnected. excuses, excuses...

Hisforever

Alt. Title: "Homer Lurker and friend thrash 'loaner' Turners."

I think it was dried out by the time it went out there, but, It is probably water logged now sitting in your backyard with all the rain we have had.

P.S. This thread doesnt do any justice with out pics.
    Jesus Saves

Pipedream Moxie
    Spot Mayhem
    Orbea Rallon
    Transition Sentinel
    Evil Undead
    Yz 250

Toby Wong?
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB
    yeah, more girls in bikini pics please not Chingon's in bikinis (CIB)
    lets not make it a religion, it is recreation

~~~~~~~~
    they're all of Dane!

got some video of you on the diving board, just need a slow day at work to get it together.

Just roll it......
    Ok Phockers, here you go. All pics are courtesy of CBX.

The Moose is Loose! Moose railing a berm.

Robbie Styling out the left hip.

Airwreck ripping a berm on Jewel's 5 spot.

Me straight airing the left hip on the HL. I wasn't hipping this correctly (no commitment on my part), hence me skipping the next gap. Ooh well, next time!

This is how it should be hit. Robbie throwing his mad steeze on the HL and kicking up some dirt in the process.

Dane, the uber grom, hitting the hip on his specialized hard rock hardtail. Kid rips on the bike and the board. I hate him.

No bikini shots, Tap, but CBX caught a few good ones of windsurfers on Ho'okipa Point. The wind was going off that day, so there was very little surfing on the NW side of the island.

Cheers,
    EB

FM
    mtbr member
    Awesome.... love this one:

Time to get out of here and do some "urban trail work"

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Time to get out of here and do some "urban trail work"
    Give me a ring when you get there and I'll join ya.

EB

~~~~~~~~
    photos!

Jewels b&w perspective.

Joel

Likely to be the only shots you'll ever see of me fully garbed up, on the Spot (with very old 24" wide monkey lights ).

Moments later, back on the Highline, a few sailors died while readjusting.

The 4X bike that didn't survive the session.

Big bike and little kid, Dane rolling 24's.

Textbook setup into the #5/hip.

Behind the scenes....

Done dog.
    Last edited by airwreck; 11-24-2007 at 01:44 PM.

~~~~~~~~
    These were on my card, I wasn't there, my camera must have been though.

Wave of the day? CBX, in the right spot.

Tourist.

As requested, chick in bikini (?).

Joel, feeling the pain.

Last edited by airwreck; 12-04-2007 at 10:43 PM.

Dishwasher Safe
    Great stuff AW; can't wait to get out there. Are any of these jumps close to the parking?

Heh, you posted more while I was posting. Love the mystery shots too...

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by deadbolt
    Are any of these jumps close to the parking?
    no, but I know where some are.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Cool. Used to ride a lot in the summer on Kauai, the winters are way too wet, well and I lived on the N.Shore, always heard the west side had some huge FR stunts. That looked so fun! Sick trip.

Just roll it......

Tourist.
    Indeed. But, that's a guy enjoying an ice cold High Life with a newly purchased Maui Cozy keepin' his beer cold in an 80 deg. ocean. Everything is right about this situation......

I'm not kidding......this couple both had headphones on and portable cameras on their laptops. They were typing away on the the beach and web-camming with their friends. At one point, the dude pointed the computer towards the water as the gal was out there and then as she was getting out. It was all FAR too weird.

EB

Yes, that's fonetic
    These were on my card, I wasn't there, my camera must have been though.

Joel, feeling the pain.
    Looks like the pain discernment is pretty much nil there....

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by dpspac3
    Cool. Used to ride a lot in the summer on Kauai, the winters are way too wet, well and I lived on the N.Shore, always heard the west side had some huge FR stunts. That looked so fun! Sick trip.
    You ever ride with the Bike Doktor Boyz (aka Team Whodaphuck)?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    lets see...Thats john in Hanalei, right? I did ride with those guys, a solid crew, their mantra was "pain,pain, pain" because those water logged climbs, heat, and the fact you had to stop, clean out your pedals of mud every 300 feet (sometimes). Those guys were classic, super - stoked, super fit and gave me an alternate perspective on the joys of the island; it took like a year to get my bike out there, and I was really focused on surfing at the time, but a lot of those guys were over surfing, they'd been there 20 years and such...Tons of aloha from that crew, and some really fit guys (and girls.) I'd tell them how dry it was in the rockies, and how accessible the trails and long... talk about access issues there, they were losing more singletrack every season. .

Yes, that's fonetic
    That's the crew. Johnny is still one of my best friends after leaving there almost 7 years ago.
    They recently signed a lease w/Hawaiian homelands to use the land in Anahola they were afraid of losing, and put together a club with the motorcycle crew to put on some races/poker runs. I think they're calling it CORK, Combined Off Roaders of Kaui.

Sorry to hijack the thread EB....Kauai MTBers are OK too.
    Last edited by whoda*huck; 11-25-2007 at 10:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    ya know, I was just checking a board here locally about disputes between mtb'ers and Moto riders, and one mtb remarked how he puts logs thru single track to potentially harm moto'ers - its cool that over there, where there's lots of tension in the surf, two separate groups can get together like that. Sick. when I lived there, they had just lost lots of single track in Anahola, and were afraid of losing the rest, but it makes me feel good to know that they saved it. John's awesome. I can remember going in for a brake cable and staying for two hours talking story with him. When I met those guys, it was so cool to find people doing something thats basically "different" for that island. You gotta hand it to them for their stoke, over here we really get picky with parts, and upgrades and such, over there everythings more expensive, there's less available, and there's like three mechanics on the whole island. They love to ride, tho...plus there's just something about riding near the ocean, in Hawaii no less.
    To get back to the thred, tho, those Maui pics really make me long for the islands again, especially with a little freeride course. Man, there's lots of work there, too...sick pictures. Have I seen that little kid elsewhere with the hardrock 24? cool stuff. Did he just slap the 24"s on there or are those frames made for that?

Hisforever
    [QUOTE= Have I seen that little kid elsewhere with the hardrock 24? cool stuff. Did he just slap the 24"s on there or are those frames made for that?[/QUOTE]

apparently spesh makes a gremlin sized ride...

HI is overrated
    Jesus Saves

Pipedream Moxie
    Spot Mayhem
    Orbea Rallon
    Transition Sentinel
    Evil Undead
    Yz 250

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    overrated for biking, no the bikings not that great. For surfing, its like whistler X 10, year round. Otherwise, I don't think its overrated.

Amphibious Technologies
    Airwreck,

I'm in Maui now enjoying some really great diving. Visibility was freaking awesome to. Must have been 200+ with a water temp of 79*. You guys live in such a nice place!!!

OT: pics from our recent dives:
    Attached Images Attached Images

~~~~~~~~
    wow, it's beautiful down there!

mtbr member
    wow!! Geez, you guys were on the Big Island and didn't call?

Oh well. Missed out one yet more riding...............and views from 14000 foot mountain..............

Sounds like the trip was great tho!! Glad you guys had a great time.

Aloha,
    g

Amphibious Technologies
    wow, it's beautiful down there!
    It sure is. You should dive in the Westside sometime.

Dishwasher Safe
    I went scuba diving once in the Bahamas. It was pretty amazing. The conditions were just as you describe there in HI.

BTW scuba, what did you take those with? The clarity is awesome. Were you using a couple strobes? These were taken with a lowly disposable:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by deadbolt; 11-28-2007 at 01:30 PM.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by deadbolt
    I went scuba diving once in the Bahamas. It was pretty amazing. The conditions were just as you describe there in HI.

BTW scuba, what did you take those with? The clarity is awesome. Were you using a couple strobes? These were taken with a lowly disposable:
    It sure is amazing. Though I think the corals in the bahamas are more colorful. There are no soft corals in Hawaii.

The camera was a Canon EOS 1D MarkII in a Subal CD1D housing no strobes needed at the time as vis was great, we were only within 20 to 65FSW, and sun was very bright.

Dishwasher Safe
    There's an interesting article in this months Pop Photo on underwater lighting you might be interested in.

Members who have read this thread: 0