newborn 6pack...and a dhx-c question- Mtbr.com
    Wicketed

newborn 6pack...and a dhx-c question

so there i was, patiently saving for my first turner - a flux. this was to be the culmination of a year's dreaming and obsessing - my dream trailbike and 24hour racebike. then came along an auspicious night where three random variables came together: the 'roam' dvd, ebay, and too much beer....
    ...and the 6pack was born

6pack1.jpg

to those that know me, and may say that my riding style does not warrant 6inches of travel, i shall just smile smugly, point my bike downhill, and emit a high-pitched "wheeeeeee" sound until i reach the bottom of the hill. where i shall continue to smile smugly. this bike is amazing.

6pack2.jpg

and i haven't even got it dialled in yet. the frame came with a 550 x 2.35 spring, and i couldn't get the sag right even with the preload backed fully off. (i'm 155lb). so i went to my local bike shop and ordered a lighter spring - a 500. but it turns out the new spring is a 2.25 not a 2.35. can someone let me know if this is a problem i.e. should i exchange it for a 2.35? i've only had air shocks before so all this is new to me....

6pack3.jpg

for those that are interested:
    med 05 frame with dhx-c
    pike 454s
    5.1s on hope II hubs
    X7 and X9
    easton, thompson, sdg, xt, etc
    weight: a load more than the flux i had planned!

and cheers to all the homers on this board whose infectious enthusiasm, and loyalty to a quality product and brand, has led me down the path of true rightiousness

Bodhisattva
    Nicely done. Looks like a great all-mtn machine
    It's a 2" stroke shock so I don't see why the lighter spring wouldn't fit

Shouldn't be long before you graduate to a gravity dropper

banned
    In theory, it won't. The shock's stroke is 2.00 inches, while the new spring has .25" over that. That margin is for preloading. I would say it's ok, just keep in mind that you only have < .25" MAX to preload the spring, otherwise the coils may touch on bottom out. If you're not using much preload, then don't worry.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Your shock stroke is 2.0". A spring that is longer than that will work fine.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel

Shouldn't be long before you graduate to a gravity dropper

You wouldn't happen to have "the clapper" installed in your house would you?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Never enough time to ride
    Nice lookin ride, great pics too.

But do your self a favor, batton down the front hydro line before something bad happens

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    You wouldn't happen to have "the clapper" installed in your house would you?
    Not a bad idea.
    GD + 2-step Lyrik = plenty o' up n' down goodness

Displaying UGI Symptoms

good work!

Nice Ride - Swan Lee - Congrats.

Did you spray paint "FLUX" on the wall behind your pack and then paint a big X through it?

Enjoy the new rig

Bodhisattva
    I know 2.25" RCS springs work fine and don't see why Fox steel springs wouldn't

Wicketed
    cheers everyone - just wanted to check before i did one of my new massive 1 foot hucks.
    joking aside, this bike is already given me a load more confidence. i'm dropping off stuff i'd only ever eyed nervously before. i ran the local DH track on the bike's second ever outing and it just ate it for breakfast. can't wait to get the rear end working as plush as i reckon it can.

the 'heavy-duty upgrade-wagon' has already rolled into town, and coincidentally i've already got my eye on a gravity dropper and a lyric. oh, and some kneepads....

Lay off the Levers
    Nice intro, kewl shots. I like the narrow depth of field, and wide angle closeup shots.

You're in for some fun for sure!
    Welcome aboard. The Kool Aid is in the corner, grab a mug... heck take two...we'll watch yer bike.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by swan lee
    the 'heavy-duty upgrade-wagon' has already rolled into town, and coincidentally i've already got my eye on a gravity dropper and a lyric. oh, and some kneepads....
    Sweet ride!

We call the 'heavy-duty upgrade-wagon' the "UGI cart" around these parts. It keeps the SO a little less worried. HDUW sounds so expensive
    Nothing to see here.

Members who have read this thread: 0