tg
    mtbr member

New wheelset time

Considering the FSA XC-300 SL or the MAVIC CROSSMAX ST. for the spot ..... Any thoughts O GREAT ONES?

mtbr member
    I think a well built custom wheelset would serve you better. Like Pro IIs laced to DT Swiss 5.2d or Stans Flows or Mavic 819s

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tg
    Considering the FSA XC-300 SL or the MAVIC CROSSMAX ST. for the spot ..... Any thoughts O GREAT ONES?

I am thinking of crossmax sx's

Bite Me.
    Get Larry or Mike Garcia to build you a custom set - it's not any more money and the quality is top notch, plus you can customize all your parts - I had Hope Pro IIs on the Spot with Velocity rims - great wheels, but the hub noise got to be too much after awhile.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

tg
    mtbr member
    I forgot to mention that I can get the FSAs for around 2 bills and the Crossmax wheels will cost me twice that. A custom set would be sweet but my wife would slap me and that hurts.

Bite Me.
    I think the FSA wheels might be a little floppy for the Spot (I'm leery of the 24 spoke count on a Spot) - Mike Garcia built my Hope Pro IIs 36 hole laced to the Velocity VXC rims with Dt Swiss Champion spokes for $385 delivered - the wheels were bomber and quite light too - don't rule out custom wheels Ted until you've priced them - the LaserDisc hubs are also pretty good for Colo (dry) riding and have been much improved over the past couple of years.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

tg
    mtbr member
    CT, give me a call at work I'd like to find out more info on the HOPES. or pm me with your # if you don't mind.

Moosehead
    +1 to the customs and to the FSA's being undergunned for the Spot. Better hubs and wheels will serve you well over the long term, both performance and cost wise. Your arse and all that other equipment is riding on 'em too.

tg
    mtbr member
    Pretty much ruled out the FSAs , I am a buck 85 and they are on the floppy side I have been told. Sooooo the guestion is Crossmax or Hope/ 819

Moosehead
    Chris2fur had good things to say about the new 09 Crossmax's in a recent thread below, and described how the rear hub bushing troubles seem to be addressed in the recent vintage. See mtbr reviews which describe 08 and older rear hub problems. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=497090

Hope and CK make bombproof hubs that can be easily serviced and rebuilt at home and easily go 10 years plus of hard riding. Customer service is killer too.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Just picked up my second set of Hope wheels for racing on. I know if I can hear the hub noise I'm not pedalling enough

Peace & Love
    buy my almost new King wheels just posted for sale....though they have 823 rims so maybe a bit much for a Spot (and me)

simple
    Quote Originally Posted by tg
    I'd go with the Crossmax ST wheelset. Almost none of the wheelsets mentioned above are even close to the weight (sub 1600 grams) and the stiffness on them are very good. You can't build X819 wheelset at that weight without going w/ puny little spokes or spending big $$ (I9)

I'm saving my pennies for the same wheelset right now.

Members who have read this thread: 0