New updates for the DW DHR?- Mtbr.com
    Working on my Drops

New updates for the DW DHR?

Anyone heard of any news for the DHR? I haven't heard anything in a while. Still slated to come out early next year?

Now with flavor!!
    What's a dhr?
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    I'm intrigued to know which direction DT plans to go with pivot hardware. I was chatting to the guys from Banshee at the last provincial cup and they were explaining that they had a ton of problems getting bushings to work on the Legend DH bike, and the latest batch of frames were running cartridge bearings.

I know DT wanted to run with bushings originally, and had the guys from Suspension Centre build up one proto with bearings for testing.

I don't really understand why it should be harder to get bushings to work on a DH bike. Both DT and Banshee have successfully used bushings on shorter travel platforms. Indeeed, the bushings on my rfx have been pretty much maintenance free for three years of hard BC riding. In contrast, my dhr gets a full rebuild every season once the linkage starts to develop some slop.

Now with flavor!!
    Because you don't log 10 runs a day pinned as fast as an 8" travel slacked out bike with large sticky tires will let you on your RFX.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Because you don't log 10 runs a day pinned as fast as an 8" travel slacked out bike with large sticky tires will let you on your RFX.
    Resulting in what?

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder
    Resulting in what?

A downhill bike with bearings.

Read the post above mine if you got lost.

mtbr member
    Woo, you're an ass. :P

Let me put it this way. My buddies Reign requires a new set of bearings at least every couple of seasons. In contrast, my 2005 rfx, with its bushings, has never needed any maintenance at all, aside from the occasional squirt of grease into the zerk. Both bikes see similar use/mileage. So, extrapolating this to a DH bike, why should a DH bike with bushings not last longer than one with bearings, all be it that neither will last as long as either trail bike mentioned above?
    Last edited by big-ted; 08-19-2009 at 10:08 AM.

Now with flavor!!
    Sounds like banshee has the answer.

And turner I guess.

Now with flavor!!
    Hey wait.....does the highline I just bought use bushings?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    nope. bearings baby, bearings!

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    stiction vs. longevity. A tough tradeoff, but bearings CAN last for a long time if given the chance through design and maintenance. On a DH bike, where suspension performance can equate to many seconds in a race run, I know what I would do.
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

Elitest thrill junkie
    DT explained before that he researched this with mechanical engineers and found that needle or tapered bearings could be the best system (although needle needs a little extra for some of the forces), the problems being that they're expensive to design and produce. The highline uses needle-beaings in all the pivots. Bearings can work well if they are designed and implimented correctly. Most manufacturers just do the "skateboard" bearing thing, even if the bearing is of "higher" quality it's usually the same style and subject to the same problems of pitting and so on.

The journal bushings were the best compramise in terms of performance, weight and so on. There wasn't much to be gained by going to the needle bearings in Flux/spot/RFX roles, but from what I've heard the DHR has always had a needle-bearing main pivot, and it's also pretty common on other designs to have this (I've had two other bikes that used needle bearings for the main pivot). That main pivot on a highline or DHR is way bigger than on those other bikes, so you'd have a lot more stiction, requirement to grease, etc.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    DW
    So how does stiction affect your DW anti squat design, surely stiction adds in a"compression damping element" or is so small as to insignificant in a trail bike.
    Thanks in advance

Yay! Bikes !
    wait ... what?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    ..., but from what I've heard the DHR has always had a needle-bearing main pivot, and it's also pretty common on other designs to have this (I've had two other bikes that used needle bearings for the main pivot). That main pivot on a highline or DHR is way bigger than on those other bikes, so you'd have a lot more stiction, requirement to grease, etc.
    }
    they use needle bearings on the linkage, not the main pivot, at least the box frame ones did.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Connor
    }
    they use needle bearings on the linkage, not the main pivot, at least the box frame ones did.
    The new ones use the same needle cartridges to take radial load, and a sort of "needle thrust bearing" to take axial load. Not sure what the proper term would be.

switchback sculptor
    my '05 dhr uses an angular contact bearing main pivot, and needle bearing linkage pivots.
    judging by the rebuild kit on turners site, the '07-'09 dhr uses all needles.

strangely... highline rebuild kit is $190 and the dhr is only $70... what's the difference?

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick.
    wait ... what?

My highline uses bearings.

Aparently.

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by erosive
    my '05 dhr uses an angular contact bearing main pivot, and needle bearing linkage pivots.
    judging by the rebuild kit on turners site, the '07-'09 dhr uses all needles.

strangely... highline rebuild kit is $190 and the dhr is only $70... what's the difference?
    More pivots?

I think the needle bearing with prep M is stupidly stiction free. My Highline has absolutely zero stiction when then shock is removed. Compare that to my Giant Reign X which was always smooth (even up to when the pivots exploded) but never durable like the needle bearings.

For the love of God though. If you're gonna use cartridge bearings, at least use the dual row ones like Ventana and Knolly use. Minimal weight gain, but retarded gains in stiffness and durability. ESPECIALLY IN SINGLE SHEAR APPLICATIONS! Single shear + single row tiny bearings = the laziest you could possibly build a frame for making things fit together when the alignment quality is garbage to begin with.

Hey KidWoo. Did you ever find anything out with the offset reducers for the Highline shock?

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPawn
    Hey KidWoo. Did you ever find anything out with the offset reducers for the Highline shock?

I'm just getting a buddy with a lathe to make me some blanks, then I'll drill them myself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Copycat!!!

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arty50
    Copycat!!!

You and I are twins.

Blue and chrome!

See?

I don't give bike recommendations that I don't stand behind.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    You and I are twins.

Blue and chrome!

See?

I don't give bike recommendations that I don't stand behind.
    Actually I'm blue and blue. Phew I dodged that stalker bullet.

And yes, thanks for all the help last summer. I heart this bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0