New toys for the Highline...- Mtbr.com
    It's carbon dontcha know.

New toys for the Highline...

...hopefully I'll never need them.

Helmet strap on my old helmet was fraying, the Rockgardn helmet ticks lots of boxes for the safety level it offers and I'd been thinking about the Leatt for a while. Decided to forgo a fork change on my Sultan for these instead.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Good call!

~~~~~~~~
    not something I like to think about, but I am.
    How's you and BZ getting along with your moto helmets?
    Wondering how my short neck is going to get along with the leatt, they are saying the new TLD D3 helmet has been designed for improved compatibility.
    Keep us posted with your experience of the fit and comfort.

Only testing I've done so far are the Leatt adjustments at home, first test on the bike will be this Saturday at Diablo.

banned
    Sep 2005
    I just picked up that RockGarden helmet. Greart Buy!...and it looks pretty good too.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    Wondering how my short neck is going to get along with the leatt, they are saying the new TLD D3 helmet has been designed for improved compatibility.
    Take your helmet in and try one they come in 2 sizes, the Adults are adjustable to fit all sizes!

http://www.leatt-brace.com/index.php..._id=35&id=3#35

Leatt FAQs
    http://www.leatt-brace.com/index.php..._id=60&id=3#60

What size Leatt-Brace<SUP>(R)</SUP> MOTO GPX is correct for me?
    The small size Leatt-Brace™ MOTO GPX covers males from the age of 4 – 16 years old with a thin build. It is also suitable for women. The medium size Leatt-Brace™ MOTO GPX covers males from the age of 16 years old with an average to large build.

Good call 6th, nice pair!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Good stuff 6th, I'm in the market for a new full face as well as you can see from the evidence below. Leatt is very, very high on my list too even though I hardly ever do liftserve. I'm just a hack rider. What steered you towards the RockGardn lid?

~2 wks off the bike, still sore but I rode my Sultan for the first time last night. I need to get back, have a century in 3 wks.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

Quote Originally Posted by skunkty14
    Good stuff 6th, I'm in the market for a new full face as well as you can see from the evidence below. Leatt is very, very high on my list too even though I hardly ever do liftserve. I'm just a hack rider. What steered you towards the RockGardn lid?
    ~2 wks off the bike, still sore but I rode my Sultan for the first time last night. I need to get back, have a century in 3 wks.
    Ouch, definitely looks like you got your money out of that helmet.

I've turned into a bit of a Rockgardn gear whore, flak jacket, knee shin guards, goggles, padded under shorts and outers The helmet seems to meet lots of safety levels, it's well made too. Definitely a lot nicer than the Azonic that I have been wearing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    Ouch, definitely looks like you got your money out of that helmet.

I've turned into a bit of a Rockgardn gear whore, flak jacket, knee shin guards, goggles, padded under shorts and outers The helmet seems to meet lots of safety levels, it's well made too. Definitely a lot nicer than the Azonic that I have been wearing.
    I have been using their chest protector for a couple of years and definitely like the fit and finish.

It would be very useful if you can comment on the sizing of the RG helmet and fit. It's always hard to find a helmet that doesn't move too much but is not constricting.

banned
    Sep 2005
    It's very comfy. The sizing isn't perfect for me, but that may vary with others. I just cinch down the chinstrap xtra tight. I've only owned one other FF helmet. 661 something or other, and it was nice too. Very similar to the 661 as far as padding if that tells ya anything. The finish is nicer, though...IMO. It seems to be holding up much better after a few weeks of shuttles. Most of the damage to my equip comes from the actual driving vs. riding....go figure.

Wore them both yesterday for about 5 hours of runs at Diablo, once I'd got the brace on I didn't notice it while riding at all. Helmet was nice and comfortable too.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    Funny you should ask I just posted some of the following comments in the Knolly forum.

The goggle area is just big enough. Not much room for play. I removed the roost guard which helps.

Since it's a Moto helmet it's heavier than the D2 and shaped differently (Rounder for the larger DOT certified EPS shell inside.) I quickly got used to the extra weight and don't really notice it. It might be a concern for folks recovering from neck injuries but I can't really say.

The SE2 does not have the venting the D2s & D3s have, BUT I've found it vents extremely well while in motion.
    The trick is to remove all the black foam screens in the face, visor and top scoops.
    Then the wind flows through like an air conditioner. It actually roars a little at higher speeds.

I would think it might be too hot for an all-day, deepwoods w/lots of climbing freeridy helmet, but it's fine for shuttling, lifts and strap-it-to-your-pack-and-pedal-up riding. You can climb and ride with it on but don't expect sustained best effort xc breathability.

The face guard gets a little close to my mouth but I found that problem with all the DOT helmets I've tried and most of the FFHs in general. (I've tried many while shopping) I guess I have a big face. With the foam screen removed I can huff open mouth pretty well though.

The helmet stays where you set it on your head...amazingly well. Great field of view. Very comfortable lining. ALL the lining is removeable for easy washing, and the cheek pads pop right out for emergency removal. It comes with (2) visors and a kickarse velvet lined carry bag which Mtb123 might appreciate But who bags their helmet other than to travel with it.

Thoughts on DOT EPS Liners:
    I've had a couple of bell ringers with this helmet. I think most FR falls are relatively low speed (mostly vertical). I've read that bicycle style EPS liners are softer and thus are better for slower falling off chit style impacts whereas DOT helmets have to withstand and protect you from higher speed hits. There may be some truth to this. I've hit my head with my bicycle FF & STD helmet and I think it hurts a fair bit more to take a hard banger in the DOT helmet. It might be safer if you're cooking along and go down like Steve Austin, or cannonball a tree, but lighter casual hits may hurt more. OTOH those hits tend to destroy the bike helmets or at least compress their EPS liners and reduce their effectiveness.

All in all it feels safer and more secure, but if you lightly knock your head fairly often, you might want to go non-DOT and replace it more often. These are just thoughts, take it as such.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 08-09-2009 at 01:17 PM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Hisforever
    been looking into a leatt also.

i was told to go for the club model over the adventure. the club is more adjustable and allows a custom 'comfort' fit. the 'adventure' ie: cheaper model is one size fits all, so it can be a little uncomfortable.

That Giro helmet looks weak, cant believe they sell those for mtbr's.
    Jesus Saves

Pipedream Moxie
    Spot Mayhem
    Orbea Rallon
    Transition Sentinel
    Evil Undead
    Yz 250

There's definitely plenty of adjustment in this model, once I'd got it set up I didn't even notice it when riding. I'll try and get some photos next time I'm geared up.

I'm more of a dog person
    i bought the Leatt a while back and didn't like how it restricted my upward visibility when jumping. it scared me and made me feel more likely to crash than without it.
    maybe i have a short neck and couldn't get the mobility i needed. maybe my Giro helmet - Leatt combo wasn't working. i dunno but i had to sell it. i like the idea and would probably buy another brand when others become available to try it again. but the Leatt made me feel almost overprotected and stormtrooper-like. don't get me wrong, i'm not knocking the product, i think its an important step forward in body protection. i'm sure TA can attest to its importance as well. what i'm trying to say is that it may not be for everyone, especially us people that are more "compact". i suggest trying one on fully geared up and taking a spin in the parking lot before dropping $400 sight unseen like i did. that being said, 6th i wish you luck with yours and like you said, i hope you never have to use it.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by unclekittykiller
    i bought the Leatt a while back and didn't like how it restricted my upward visibility when jumping. it scared me and made me feel more likely to crash than without it.
    maybe i have a short neck and couldn't get the mobility i needed. maybe my Giro helmet - Leatt combo wasn't working. i dunno but i had to sell it. i like the idea and would probably buy another brand when others become available to try it again. but the Leatt made me feel almost overprotected and stormtrooper-like. don't get me wrong, i'm not knocking the product, i think its an important step forward in body protection. i'm sure TA can attest to its importance as well. what i'm trying to say is that it may not be for everyone, especially us people that are more "compact". i suggest trying one on fully geared up and taking a spin in the parking lot before dropping $400 sight unseen like i did. that being said, 6th i wish you luck with yours and like you said, i hope you never have to use it.
    Did you stick with the Leatt for long, understand what ya saying fit of helmet and each individual size of person may vary did ya get the right size they are very adjustable, moto requires every bit of if not more looking up and back especially in Enduro's, Ive not tried it with the Giro.

I know some Helmet manufactures are now designing there helmets to be compatible, the new Troy Lee design is supposedly designed to work like this with neck braces and that's a good thing!

Looking like a stormtrooper would be the least of my worries I would think, still its ya own decision! and I like ya thinking re trying that should be number one hard when most seem to buy online though, even here Ive not sen any in a shop, the odd one in a Moto shop and they too order in, mostly, though 90 + in moto enduro are now wearing neck braces!

This last point I find interesting re the comfort again movement and visibility, after Jeremy Lusk died rip, nearly all FMX riders free style MX riders, not racers! these guys are nearly all wearing a neck brace and it dosnen't seem to be holding them back from all sorts of manouvers and tricks if anything has raised the bar, Go Levi Sherwood, hes a kiwi grom

<!-- / message --> <!-- sig -->

This is a Moto helemt but the lightest onthe market and very highly regarded also! Expensive though which seems some waht interesting here and often pops up, which considering the investment in bikes here components I always find an Oxymoron when it comes to protection, something Ive never skimped on, but stil bit me in th end so nothing is guareented!

<!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> https://www.airoh.com/en/prodotti/Of...Avenger17.html

That Giro above while smashed and has probably done its job on a serious impact it should fracture ! and not your head and ideally not your neck, but that alone shows what an impact can do, a Helmet is not supposed to be all shiny and new after a good crash its supposed to save your head, its done its job, get a new one, and lucky ya can still ride, so just be aware of that, buying another Helmet for example could end up with a different result that may not be so good!

I'm not saying stick with Giro even though when I got mine I went through as many tests in mags and online as I coud to find out protction quality as well as other usual features which is why I choose the Remedy, its noted for its impact saftey.

Look at mine it took a battering but I retired it, before mine fractured like that! Ive had many crahses on retired Helemts manily Bell Motos back in my moto days, so got a good feeling for when it time to change!

Dam that pisspot, 88 must be an unlucky number for me

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

I'm more of a dog person
    yeah TA i had the medium size which ironically is fitted for adults. i didn't have it long, it scared me enough that i didn't want to keep riding with it. i tried all different adjustments and still couldn't get the manuverability i wanted. maybe i should have given it a little more time i dunno. like i said before i think it was more a matter of body type ie: short neck but i think i'm probably in the minority. i would be great if Leatt or another future brand would have more increments in their sizing ie: s,m,l,xl. the adjustments are fine for some but the size of the equipment can get quite bulky for others that aren't large. hence my stormtrooper comment which was more based on how it felt on me and gave me a "closed in" feeling, rather than how it looked (i could care less). you're right though about the motox guys tearing it up while wearing the Leatt and not seeming to have any problems. i still think its a great product and an important step, although i think we'll see some improvements in the future that will help with fit, sizing, etc. sure sucks about Jeremy Lusk, i saw that video and was horrified, his poor family. although as i understood it he died of brain trauma and not a neck injury. at least thats what i read on the site.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by unclekittykiller
    yeah TA i had the medium size which ironically is fitted for adults. i didn't have it long, it scared me enough that i didn't want to keep riding with it. i tried all different adjustments and still couldn't get the manuverability i wanted. maybe i should have given it a little more time i dunno. like i said before i think it was more a matter of body type ie: short neck but i think i'm probably in the minority. i would be great if Leatt or another future brand would have more increments in their sizing ie: s,m,l,xl. the adjustments are fine for some but the size of the equipment can get quite bulky for others that aren't large. hence my stormtrooper comment which was more based on how it felt on me and gave me a "closed in" feeling, rather than how it looked (i could care less). you're right though about the motox guys tearing it up while wearing the Leatt and not seeming to have any problems. i still think its a great product and an important step, although i think we'll see some improvements in the future that will help with fit, sizing, etc. sure sucks about Jeremy Lusk, i saw that video and was horrified, his poor family. although as i understood it he died of brain trauma and not a neck injury. at least thats what i read on the site.
    I hear ya on fit its got to be right for ya, and more improvements hopefully like ya say will come, just all I'd say to others is give it few runs or times many moto and other DH riders Ive talked to have said similar things, I check out the moto forums and mags allot too so done allot of research here, and common come back is glad we stuck with it now wouldn;t ride with out, still youmust be an odd fit

Alpine Stars have the Bionic neck brace system but Ive read varying reports on this being more restrictive while others say exact oppostie , so Helmets setup body fit etc etc ya right play a big part!

Maybe you should have tried the sml ver lol.....

Yeah Jeremy Lusk situtaion is bad and also fel for family friends etc , riders!

Just in that though and I'm no expert here either but Ive again spent allot of time here!

Ya have to be very carful comparing or understanding this type or any type of accident like this, even though head trama was the result of death it may or may not have been the cause, a neck brace does not only protect the neck from say an injury like mine [and where talking degress of protection here]

It also helps disperse the load the Helmet forces onto the head and other body parts, especially if landing how I did, so just bear that in mind, I also suffered sever head tramua and my head even now is still vry sensitive too touch on one side and effects many of my functions though way better than they were, any impact has way more causes than than the end result that people either can see or think they understand!

Even the experts don;t tend to agree or imo ones Ive dealt with don;t ask the right questions diagnose and X-rays alone do not tell the story, CTs can be mis leading, hence why I'm now getting an MRI I should have had 18months ago!

However my Chiro is helping it seems

So just wanted to clarify that point!, Doctors treat parts, in an injury like this ya need to identify the cause and what it affects, to survive or recover from!

Chur

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

I'm more of a dog person
    i acutally bought my Leatt in a local moto shop. i asked the guy about the sizing and he looked at me and said i absolutely need the medium. the small is for little kids apparently. i'm 5'8" about 175 so i'm not super small but i'm not big either, the medium should have fit without much adjustment. that's why i keep going back to the short neck excuse. i know a guy who rides with the same Giro - Leatt combo i had and doesn't have any problems with fit. he's also about 6'2" and probably has a longer neck than i.
    that sux about your head sensitivity. i've had my fair share of injuries and i've noticed that depending on the severity some things just never seem to work exactly as they did before. i snapped my Achilles tendon some years ago and had surgery to repair. to this day i have flexibility issues and it has more recently started to contribute to lower back problems. i feel for ya' man..

trail fairy
    <TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 5999145" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>unclekittykiller</TD><TD class=alt2>i acutally bought my Leatt in a local moto shop. i asked the guy about the sizing and he looked at me and said i absolutely need the medium. the small is for little kids apparently. i'm 5'8" about 175 so i'm not super small but i'm not big either, the medium should have fit without much adjustment. that's why i keep going back to the short neck excuse. i know a guy who rides with the same Giro - Leatt combo i had and doesn't have any problems with fit. he's also about 6'2" and probably has a longer neck than i.
    that sux about your head sensitivity. i've had my fair share of injuries and i've noticed that depending on the severity some things just never seem to work exactly as they did before. i snapped my Achilles tendon some years ago and had surgery to repair. to this day i have flexibility issues and it has more recently started to contribute to lower back problems. i feel for ya' man..</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Ahh all good as ya say sometimes things don;t fit all, def hope they7 make more sizing, Ive thought there needs more fit approach to this than a helmet for someitme, so hopefully some more development will come out of it!

Alpine stars may have more fit options
    http://www.alpinestars.com/sizechartbns.htm

http://www.alpinestars.com/Bionic_Ne.../p/650009.html

Poc are another cool company doing some great stuff, they are reseacrhing the the neck brace options so maybe they will come out with somthing too that might raise the bar since they are nuro and chiro and promote they have expertises in this area!

http://www.pocsports.com/products/ca...sp?season=Bike

Ahh all good bro it is what it is just will take time, I will get there, part of the risk, regardless of how we protect ourselves, enjoy ,go hard!

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

trail fairy

D2 to D3 release!

Um more D3 like above!

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/troy-l...s-d3-2009.html

Interesting comments by some, like one said it would be good to see the impact testing at slow and high speeds, very hard to get good data on this stuff! something that should be std, not hiding behind a minimum std label.

Looks good though and its designed around a neck brace, another comments dosen't surprise me, bit exposed if not wearing a neck brace, HELLO, dam there's stupid people in the world and always one!

Front View

Side View 1

Side View 2

Changes from the D2 to the D3:

- Added EPS foam for more protection. Approximately 1/4 inch more all around.

- Added more vents for air flow. The D2 features 8 vents, the D3 has 20.

- Aerodynamics have been increased for less wind resistance.

- All screws, bolts, and buckles are Titanium.

- 3 years in development.

- Only 100 grams heavier than the D2.

- Is going to cost $450 American.

- Released in October 2009.

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

2nd time out with the Leatt today, don't notice it at all.

It was all about the storm trooper look today, too hot for a jersey. No action shot as no room to carry a camera

Living the Dream

You've got the Fo Shizzle approved

Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    2nd time out with the Leatt today, don't notice it at alelmetl.

It was all about the storm trooper look today, too hot for a jersey. No action shot as no room to carry a camera

Matching bike/helmet/armor/shows combo

Nice setup and nice looking highline. Wishing I wouldn't have soldmine this year, but I had to get the DW Sultan and I will be getting a DW RFX next year to replace the highline.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    I will be getting a DW RFX next year to replace the highline.

I don't think an RFX will "replace" a Highline.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

trail fairy
    Looking good StormTrooper!

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Living the Dream

Certainly not for your riding

Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    I don't think an RFX will "replace" a Highline.
    If I still lived in Tucson, I would have kept it for South Mtn, Goat Hill, Milagrosa Etc. However, where I live on the East Coast, there is fantastic All Mtn Style riding, but the Downhill stuff is a few hours drive away. I would probably use the highline for it's intended purpose less than 6 times a year. Anyways, it makes a lot more sense for me to own a RFX than a highline. BTW, enjoyed the hell out of your whistler posts. I plan on making a a big Canada trip in the next couple of years. However, I will probably visit whislter for the non bike park stuff and to ride the Chilcotins and some stuff in Nelson and Canmore.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    If I still lived in Tucson, I would have kept it for South Mtn, Goat Hill, Milagrosa Etc. However, where I live on the East Coast, there is fantastic All Mtn Style riding, but the Downhill stuff is a few hours drive away. I would probably use the highline for it's intended purpose less than 6 times a year. Anyways, it makes a lot more sense for me to own a RFX than a highline. BTW, enjoyed the hell out of your whistler posts. I plan on making a a big Canada trip in the next couple of years. However, I will probably visit whislter for the non bike park stuff and to ride the Chilcotins and some stuff in Nelson and Canmore.
    Thanks. Whistler is every reason why I am not selling the Highline.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Funny you should ask I just posted some of the following comments in the Knolly forum.

The goggle area is just big enough. Not much room for play. I removed the roost guard which helps.

Since it's a Moto helmet it's heavier than the D2 and shaped differently (Rounder for the larger DOT certified EPS shell inside.) I quickly got used to the extra weight and don't really notice it. It might be a concern for folks recovering from neck injuries but I can't really say.

The SE2 does not have the venting the D2s & D3s have, BUT I've found it vents extremely well while in motion.
    The trick is to remove all the black foam screens in the face, visor and top scoops.
    Then the wind flows through like an air conditioner. It actually roars a little at higher speeds.

I would think it might be too hot for an all-day, deepwoods w/lots of climbing freeridy helmet, but it's fine for shuttling, lifts and strap-it-to-your-pack-and-pedal-up riding. You can climb and ride with it on but don't expect sustained best effort xc breathability.

The face guard gets a little close to my mouth but I found that problem with all the DOT helmets I've tried and most of the FFHs in general. (I've tried many while shopping) I guess I have a big face. With the foam screen removed I can huff open mouth pretty well though.

The helmet stays where you set it on your head...amazingly well. Great field of view. Very comfortable lining. ALL the lining is removeable for easy washing, and the cheek pads pop right out for emergency removal. It comes with (2) visors and a kickarse velvet lined carry bag which Mtb123 might appreciate But who bags their helmet other than to travel with it.

Thoughts on DOT EPS Liners:
    I've had a couple of bell ringers with this helmet. I think most FR falls are relatively low speed (mostly vertical). I've read that bicycle style EPS liners are softer and thus are better for slower falling off chit style impacts whereas DOT helmets have to withstand and protect you from higher speed hits. There may be some truth to this. I've hit my head with my bicycle FF & STD helmet and I think it hurts a fair bit more to take a hard banger in the DOT helmet. It might be safer if you're cooking along and go down like Steve Austin, or cannonball a tree, but lighter casual hits may hurt more. OTOH those hits tend to destroy the bike helmets or at least compress their EPS liners and reduce their effectiveness.

All in all it feels safer and more secure, but if you lightly knock your head fairly often, you might want to go non-DOT and replace it more often. These are just thoughts, take it as such.
    Chainlove.com just had this helmet for ~$150. I got it. Hopefully it fits. I'll use it mainly for moto-ing, but also for lift assisted days.

Members who have read this thread: 0