new spot fork question?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

new spot fork question?

just ordered a 2011 5 spot.i know the 44mm headtube will take a tapered fork.but i have a 2011 fox float 150 that's a 1 1/8 steer tube can i still use it?any info from the homers would be great.thanks

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yeah you can use it with either a King Inset or cane creek internal headset. I'm currently running a 1 1/8 float 160 on mine. Hope that helps.

Yes, that's fonetic
    I think Cane creek also makes a conventional style headset for the 44mm ht which you may want to consider with a 150 fork. If you use the internal it'll make the bb a little lower but it'll also steepen the ha a little.
    Last edited by whoda*huck; 04-19-2011 at 12:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Cane Creek & Chris King have base plates which will allow you to use a 1 1/8" steerer with their 44-44 tapered headsets. CK's Grip Lock version should be out now, give them a call.
    This set-up will preserve the designed GEO & allow you to use a tapered set-up in the future.
    Or you can use this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    the headsets i've found all have a bottom cup height of 4mm.does any one know what the head angle would be with a fox float 150? thanks for all the info.the link to the nukeproof headset might be the ticket to keeping the geo. slack

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    44-44 Tapered headsets have an external lower cup, combined with a 1 1/2" - 1 1/8" base plate reducer the ride height & Geo will be the same as with a tapered fork as listed on the 5 Spot Geo Chart. Cane Creek Tapered headset cups are sold separately, there are several to choose from. Chris King 44-44 tapered grip lock headsets should be available, I called last month & they said Mid April. There may be others but all 44-44 tapered headsets will have an external bottom cup.

The nuke proof HS will be a similar height but does not require a reducing base plate.

As I mentioned im my previous post a tapered headset with reducing base will allow you to run a tapered fork without changing the headset.

If you like slack another option would be the Cane Creek Angle Set +_ .5 or +_ 1 deg, I have not seen a picture of the 44-44 angle set but I think it has an external bottom cup. The angle set will only work with a 1 1/8" steereer & should be available now.

Surfin' da mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by 65mtn
    just ordered a 2011 5 spot.i know the 44mm headtube will take a tapered fork.but i have a 2011 fox float 150 that's a 1 1/8 steer tube can i still use it?any info from the homers would be great.thanks
    The effect an internal lower cup will have on your head angle is negligible; unless you're a pro you won't feel a difference. Tire profile will have more of a factor. Increase the ride height on your fork by 4mm. Remember, this new 5 Spot has less sag, so reducing sag on your fork by 4mm won't hurt or may add balance. Get an internal Chris King. No big deal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new spot fork question?-029a.jpg  

Last edited by Cucucachu; 04-20-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0