New shock for '07 Spot?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

New shock for '07 Spot?

My RP23 is away for maintenance and that will still take a while unfortunately, so I want to buy a new shock THIS WEEK to also work as a spare once the original one is back.

However the new RP23 that I can get this week has the boost valve things, of which I remember reading that DT was not very enthousiastic. Furthermore in the Alps I tend to get more and more often to the end of the stroke as I'm doing more rough stuf.

Is there another shock that is easily available in the Netherlands that would be suitable for my '07 TNT spot?

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I believe the new boost valve RP23 shocks are not being used on the new DW Link Spots. For the TNT Spot, I'm sure it will work fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I was never disappointed with a DT Swiss XM 180 on my Flux. Great 95% lockout for those long climbs as well. Served my purpose better than the light compression pro-pedal on the RP23 up here in Vail, Colorado.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for these reactions, but have some additional thoughts/options.

Would the DT swiss EX200 also be OK? I am worried about their platform thing, can it be completely switched off? Usually I have my RP23 open, as I don't like the propedal and I tend to forget to switch.
    A DHX air would make the build (already at 15kg/32lbs) slightly more versatile, but isn't worth the trouble according to previous threads. Is it different for '09/'10 versions?
    Would these alternatives handle a rather high air pressure as my RP23 needs 12bar/170psi.
    Last edited by XXLspot; 08-16-2009 at 02:26 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It seems that you enjoy a fairly plush shock without too much compression/platform/propedal - have you thought about the RockShox Monarch? I've been riding the 4.2 (B tune) with a high volume air can on my HL 5 Spot. Hardly ever use the Motion Control, but its nice to have on the longer, smoother climbs.

mtbr member
    another spot user in the benelux! Cool.

Some thoughts:
    * you can make any bike s*ck if you put on a dtswiss rear shock! Just awfull!
    * The dhx air has been tried by the homer-gods and been labeled not good (Tim Flooks at TFTuned stated the same)
    * I've got a romic, a dhx5, a Pushed RP23 and just bought another float R of a belgian forum... I love my bike the best with the push in the back.

I think there is an 190mm RP23 for sale on that forum aswell... Or just get a pushed float R from TFTuned! Or a pushed VanR to make it really versatile! Not much $ and lots of boing!

Greetz
    bettes

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks again. I made a call to Rob Akkermans, the distributor for the Benelux, and based on all information I gave he suggested a VanR, which corresponds with Bettes his last remark. That is mainly for versatility reasons.
    Following Bettes advice I could have it pushed. I prefer to do this later when I have some more experience with the thing and better know how I want it. The point is that due to my exceptional length (2.04m) nothing works standard, so I expect to need to supply TFTuned with some additional input to get it right.

Members who have read this thread: 0