Thread: New Ride

I HUCK WITH CHUCK

New Ride

Just got this fella built up. Gonna be seeing a nice mixture of trailriding and Slalom/4x/DJ stuff. It was between this and an RFX, and I decided to go for the smaller bike so I could do it all. It's a flux tubeset on the front with a custom rear triangle for slalom.

closeup on the wheels

Really happy with it so far, I've already taken it out for a big mountain XC ride and hit the DJs and such with it. Seems to be what I had in mind.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Define: "custom rear triangle".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Define: "custom rear triangle".
    They are shortened, you can see how close the rear wheel is to the seat tube. Great for DJ or 4X, but the chainline is whack, so you can't really use the last 3 larger cogs. Bikes wheelie like mad though

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    lookin like the rockers are not quite stock either.

solid!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    They are shortened, you can see how close the rear wheel is to the seat tube. Great for DJ or 4X, but the chainline is whack, so you can't really use the last 3 larger cogs. Bikes wheelie like mad though
    Would a road cassette work?

~~~~~~~~
    T-pirate, stoked to have you join us here in Turnerland, looking forward to seeing the bike in action!

whats the fork?

were the actual stays shortened or was it the BB pivot that was moved forward to create a shorter overall chainstay length using normal stays?

sweet bike, I want one....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check it...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=203107

Looking at the lower shock mount and swing link, I think the Pirate got one of the Maxxis / Honda 4x frames.

TP, I can't wait to see some pictures of you airing that thing out.

Edit: Hey it looks like Termie has one too. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=146225

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Would a road cassette work?
    It's not the diameter of the cog, it's how short the chainline is, it grinds & wants to jump down a gear cause the chain is stretched sideways (in towards the hub). Sweet bike, but not practical. I had one to race in 2005, thing ripped! (too bad I was too slow)

Paste eater
    Nice ride. But, for some reason something about "flux" and DJ in the same sentence just doesn't quite seem right?

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    It's not the diameter of the cog, it's how short the chainline is, it grinds & wants to jump down a gear cause the chain is stretched sideways (in towards the hub). Sweet bike, but not practical. I had one to race in 2005, thing ripped! (too bad I was too slow)
    How short is the chainstay?
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    Nice ride. But, for some reason something about "flux" and DJ in the same sentence just doesn't quite seem right?
    Does this help?

Stock flux/burner....forget which year
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

%$#$*!
    Sweet ride. I want one of those. Post up a ride report if you get the chance.

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    Yeah, it's one of the honda/turner frames.

I'm definitely going to have to be nice to it, but I don't think I'll have any problems. So far I've done a nice 20 mile XC ride on it, hit up a session at my DH spot with a little DJ action mixed in, and ridden it to class everyday. Seems right about what I was looking for when I built it up.

I've noticed a little skipping in certain cogs but it hasn't seemed that bad? I figured it was because I haven't gotten my front chainring set up yet. I'm getting an LG1 but right now I have my old DRS on it with the front mech centered over the bigger ring acting as a guide. I don't have front shifting though, so the chainline gets weird in the extremes.

I'm trying to get some action shots soon. I don't really have much in the way of dirt jumps here in the mountains, but winter is trailriding season so I'll get something.

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    Oh yeah, from what I gather, "custom rear triangle" is a shortened, stiffened triangle specifically for the team frames (I bought this one used). The lower link the shock is attached to has mounts for adjustable head angle and bb height. The frame's stiff as hell, seems pretty on point with my roommate's yeti 4x so that's good stuff.

The fork is a 1st gen 36 talas set at 100mm. This is the fourth frame the fork has been on and it's going strong. I did some trailriding in the 5 inch range and the bike felt nice; a little less quick in the corners, but confident for sure.

not so super...
    TP

The "for sale" ad in your signature needs to have a link to a current MTBR classified to be allowed. Please make the change ASAP.

Thanks!
    Nothing to see here.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    TP

The "for sale" ad in your signature needs to have a link to a current MTBR classified to be allowed. Please make the change ASAP.

Thanks!
    thanks dad

Committed
    Sweet ride TP!
    I love mine, super fun bike for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 4X.jpg (133.8 KB, 267 views)

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    TP

Thanks!

Lame...especially considering the ads on here aren't free. I did have one in the classifieds though.

Oh well, at least I sold my wheels 2 months ago and have just been too lazy to remove it. If I just leave it will someone delete it for me? That would really save me some valuable time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtfulPirate
    Lame...especially considering the ads on here aren't free.
    I think that's the point.

Nice bike btw.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

~~~~~~~~
    glad you sold the wheels, every time I saw that made me consider doing something I $houldn't .

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    glad you sold the wheels, every time I saw that made me consider doing something I $houldn't .
    Hehe yeah, they were tempting weren't they? I was sorry to let them go. Had to make some I9 action happen on both bikes though.

t66
    mtbr member
    Hey TP, nice ride. You taking that to Clemson?

Members who have read this thread: 0