mtbr member
    Jun 2006

New RD on the Cheap

My old 5-spot has trickled down to my 13 y.o. nephew and he's in need of a rear derailleur upgrade. Current drivetrain is XTR 3x9 and I'd like to get him a Type 2 RD of some sort as cheaply as possible... Any thoughts on using a 10-speed RD with 9-speed chain, cassette, shifter??

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Cant use sram type 2 with that set up i dont think.

But shimano deore 10s shadow plus rear derailleur may work. Some say they work others say no. The pull ratio difference is so minimal it should be fine since its going on a 9s system

Why does it need a clutched derailluer? Why not just replace thats there?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    Cant use sram type 2 with that set up i dont think.

Why does it need a clutched derailluer? Why not just replace thats there?
    I'd like to reduce the chain-slap and slowly migrate him to a 1x10.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Why do it slowly, 1x10 is cheap these days. Derailleur, shifter and cassette is about $100. Derailluer $40, shifter 30, cassette 35.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by pdlhrd View Post
    My old 5-spot has trickled down to my 13 y.o. nephew and he's in need of a rear derailleur upgrade. Current drivetrain is XTR 3x9 and I'd like to get him a Type 2 RD of some sort as cheaply as possible... Any thoughts on using a 10-speed RD with 9-speed chain, cassette, shifter??
    As long as the chain isn't too wide to play nice with the derailleur I'd think it would be fine.
    I'm running a saint 10spd derailleur on a Sram 7spd dh shifter/chain/cassette drivetrain.
    The derailleur basically does what the shifter tells it to do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    1x11 is very cheap now too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Shimano cable pull ratios changed substantially between 9sp and 10sp/Dynasys. Using a 10sp Shimano MTB rear der with Shimano 9sp shifters DOES NOT WORK. Don't spend money trying it.

The oddball/DIY trick for getting clutch rear der on 9sp drivetrain is this: a SRAM 9sp shifter with a Shimano 10sp derailleur. This exploits a coincidental similarity in the two cable pull ratios, and it works surprisingly well.

Unfortunately, you're in the inverse situation, and there is no clean solution.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    Shimano cable pull ratios changed substantially between 9sp and 10sp/Dynasys. Using a 10sp Shimano MTB rear der with Shimano 9sp shifters DOES NOT WORK. Don't spend money trying it.

The oddball/DIY trick for getting clutch rear der on 9sp drivetrain is this: a SRAM 9sp shifter with a Shimano 10sp derailleur. This exploits a coincidental similarity in the two cable pull ratios, and it works surprisingly well.

Unfortunately, you're in the inverse situation, and there is no clean solution.
    I'm wondering why 10spd shimano rear d won't work with 9spd shifter?
    I'm not saying your wrong as I have no direct experience with this, but in my experience as long as you can set the derailleur's upper and lower limits to your cassette range the rear derailleur moves as much as the shifter dictates.
    In this case 9spd shifter, chain and cassette being the critical components.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    I'm wondering why 10spd shimano rear d won't work with 9spd shifter?
    I'm not saying your wrong as I have no direct experience with this, but in my experience as long as you can set the derailleur's upper and lower limits to your cassette range the rear derailleur moves as much as the shifter dictates.
    In this case 9spd shifter, chain and cassette being the critical components.
    Because the geometry (lengths of linkages, etc) of the 9sp and 10sp Shimano derailleurs are very different. A 10sp derailleur moves laterally approx. 30% less per millimeter of cable pull than the 9sp derailleur.

All Shimano rear der's thru 7/8/9sp, both road and mountain, had the same cable pull ratio so all was easy and good. It all changed substantially in the move to 10sp. Not out of necessity to achieve the additional shift, but due to design objectives for the lever stroke feel.

Committed
    Ok, good to know. Linkage movment ratio to cable pull length is clearly going to be a factor.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by renoirbud View Post
    1x11 is very cheap now too.
    Agreed. So are his parents (my sis & bro-in-law)...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    Ok, good to know. Linkage movment ratio to cable pull length is clearly going to be a factor.
    Thanks for the details... I recalled there was some issue with this, but wasn't sure of the specifics. Looks like I'll just move him into 1x10 with a few used parts from friends. He'll need to buy a shifter, chain and probably a chainring... not too shabby.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Heck, 10spd is far cheaper than 11spd and you can get 10spd type2/clutch derailleurs. That would be a worthwhile upgrade IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pdlhrd View Post
    Thanks for the details... I recalled there was some issue with this, but wasn't sure of the specifics. Looks like I'll just move him into 1x10 with a few used parts from friends. He'll need to buy a shifter, chain and probably a chainring... not too shabby.
    If cheap is the guiding constraint, what is so wrong with doing nothing? Sure a clutch derailleur is great, but realistically we all rode without them for 10 to 20 years, so a 13 year old learning to ride can "suffer" through it, especially if its XTR(!!). And the 3x9 will give him sufficient gearing to ride up steep hills with his young motor. Maybe pull the big ring and replace with a cheap bash guard and he'll be pretty well sorted on a 2X.

If you really want to 1X it with 10 speed, you might consider the new CS-HG500 Shimano 10sp cassettes, which are now available in 11-42 for the M6000 product line, as low as $25.