Registered Dietitian

New Magura rear shock looks promising.

http://www.bikemagic.com/news/articl...N/4564/v/1/sp/

Any E-speculation? Comes in a 7.5" X 2.0" size...

TR
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, Ascend Nutrition and Coaching

www.ascendthepeak.com

www.facebook.com/ascendthepeak

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    but that name has got to go. It may be something cool in German, but "hugin" doesn't exaclty roll off the tounge.
    Online translator says hugin in german translates to hugin in english?
    Nothing to see here.

Baked Alaskan
    High and low speed compression and platform in a light air shock - cool - but that name has got to go. It may be something cool in German, but "hugin" doesn't exaclty roll off the tounge.

That being said, this may be *THE* poseur shock of 2006!!!!!
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

not so super...
    Looks like it could be a nice 5 spot and Flux shock.

Magura's rather good but largely unsung suspension range is getting some new products, some tweaks and some lower prices for 2006. The new thing is the Hugin rear shock, an air-sprung unit with dial-adjustable platform damping and separate high and low-speed compression damping circuits. The Hugin also has spherical bearings to isolate it from any twisting forces that may find their way to the shock mounts. It'll be available in four stroke/length combinations (38/165, 50/190, 50/200, 65/222) and weighs from 255g.

Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Hugin is probably another one of the kids' name.

Outcast
    I believe that the word Hugin literally translated means "it looks like a butt-plug with little colored knobs", but I could be wrong.

Baked Alaskan
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    I believe that the word Hugin literally translated means "it looks like a butt-plug with little colored knobs", but I could be wrong.
    DING!!!!!! We have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!

Still, a sorta air version of the CCDB looks interesting. Wonder what it'll cost.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

not so super...

Still, a sorta air version of the CCDB looks interesting. Wonder what it'll cost.
    Now if they would add the high and low speed rebound it would be the true Poseur snob choice for air shocks.
    Nothing to see here.

not so super...
    I found it - Hugin roughly translates to MARP.
    Nothing to see here.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

questionable knowlage base

and you know it looks like a butt plug because.....................? hehe.
    No, I'm NOT back!

"El Whatever"
    I wish I could have more feedback about Magura suspension parts (I own a Phaon fork) but I just can't as I only made a quick spin around the block.

So far all I have to give as feedback is that suspension parts from Magura share the same stellar Customer Service than their brakes.

My fork had a problem out of the box... some clunking sound in the very, very early travel both compression and top-out. I sent an e-mail to Magura and they made me send the fork back and they sent me a new one. All at their cost... that's Int'l shipping back and forth.

Unfortunately the Mexican Postal Service is not the USPS and I'm still waiting for my new fork to show up... I should have offered to pay the difference for a better shipping. Not Magura's fault anyway.

So far, build quality is top notch. Damping feels good but I have nothing to compare it to as I was (I'm STILL) riding a Suntour XC-POS fork.... rigidity is nice and it likes rather big bumps than small ones. Brake dive is ok.

The Phaon (for whom may not know) is a 125-90 on the fly adjustable fork, open bath, coil sprung, adjustable compression and rebound damping. Think of it like a Marathon S with U-Turn and adjustable compression. A tad heavy at 4.4 pounds. 30mm stanchions. Detachable (bolted) crown-stanchions.

Magura forks have the reputation of not being plush and requiring an eternity (25-30hrs) of riding to brea seals in. So I don't know how will they fit to american riders who generally prefer an hyperplush fork.
    Check my Site

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    and you know it looks like a butt plug because.....................? hehe.
    My wife's cabana-boy showed me the collection they have for recreational purposes.

"El Whatever"
    DING!!!!!! We have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it'll be more expensive than a Fox DHX A, but cheaper than a CCDB.

They have problems bringing the prices down as they make all their line in Germany, even the cheapo Julie brake. That was one of the reasons they didn't released the Thor fork. It would cost above a Fox 36 without offering more... so they decided not to go for it.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Was there a Magura Air shock supplied with some Turners around 2-3 years ago? Anyone know about it?

mtbr member
    im riding the Phaon on my sasquatch since almost 4000 km. compared to a Marzzochi the Phaon is not plush at all. this travel adjustment thing actualy works even when riding. you have to have realy strong left thumb & pointer fingers to turn the knob lots of rotations for a down and up again. in the past I used this feature very infrequently. Standing besides the bike and pressing the fork with my weight (~95kg & careful jumps) results in a maximum of 11cm fork travel without bottoming.

Recently I changed the forks oil (with supervision by my LBS) but have not ridden the spot since then. Besides a table showing oil types & quantities for all forks I did not find specific instructions on Magura's homepage about the Phaon. I spoild the first hex screw with a old 5mm hex tool (the hexagonal opening in the screws are shallow). Later I trenched the spoiled screw's head with a dremel & opened it with a big screw driver. the remaining 5 where succesfully openend by a new hex tool. Further I had to produce some oil spill during the operation but finally the fork works again. The fork is robust and not difficult to maintain but the Phaon is not my next new fork for the Spot.
    Last edited by ritzelflitzer; 01-27-2006 at 03:46 PM.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by ritzelflitzer
    im riding the Phaon on my sasquatch since almost 4000 km. compared to a Marzzochi the Phaon is not plush at all. this travel adjustment thing actualy works even when riding. you have to have realy strong left thumb & pointer fingers to turn the knob lots of rotations for a down and up again. in the past I used this feature very infrequently. Standing besides the bike and pressing the fork with my weight (~95kg & careful jumps) results in a maximum of 11cm fork travel without bottoming.

Recently I changed the forks oil (with supervision by my LBS) but have not ridden the spot since then. Besides a table showing oil types & quantities for all forks I did not find specific instructions on Magura's homepage about the Phaon. I spoild the first hex screw with a old 5mm hex tool (the hexagonal opening in the screws are shallow). Later I trenched the spoiled screw's head with a dremel & opened it with a big screw driver. the remaining 5 where succesfully openend by a new hex tool. Further I had to produce some oil spill during the operation but finally the fork works again. The fork is robust and not difficult to maintain but the Phaon is not my next new fork for the Spot.
    Did you give it a go to softer/heavier springs?? Magura has them available. I have a set coming my way.

Also, these forks can be adjusted to prevent bottoming like Zokes by oil height. At least the Ronin... worth giving it a try.

I guess you refer to the bolts on the crown, when you refer to the one you damaged. Mine came out easily.

I find myself lusting for some service instructions from Magura, too. They have been very tight about it. Despite that, the explosion drawings on the spartan manual leave little to imagination.

Maybe because my fork was new, but when riding the bike, the Flight Control (travel adjuster) was easy to wind up and down. Off the bike, I agree with you and it's a chore to turn the last three of the 8 turns.

I'm not saying "I'm right, you're wrong" just sharing a different experience. Actually, I'm glad to hear some feedback on the long-term fork's performance.
    Check my Site

Time flies...
    Does "hugin" rhyme with "huge one"????
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member

Wink

hugin is a raven and figure belonging to germanic mythology

some info in german here
    https://www.sungaya.de/schwarz/germanen/huginn.htm

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by ritzelflitzer
    hugin is a raven and figure belonging to germanic mythology
    some info in german here
    http://www.sungaya.de/schwarz/germanen/huginn.htm
    Nobody asked... but here I go anyway....

Phaon - A grumpy, old and fugly boatman who crossed goddess Aphrodite over the Mithylene for no payment. Aphrodite gave him an ointment that made him most popular kind on the block. Later got laid with poet Sappho and dump her... she commited suicide.

Ronin - A Samurai without a master.

Vidar - Is a son of Odin and god of silence and revenge.

Asgard, Odin, Thor and all the chick's names are pretty much straightforwards.....

More on Hugin....

"Huginn and Muninn, sometimes Anglicized Hugin and Munin, are a pair of ravens associated with the Norse god Odin. Hugin and Munin travel the world bearing news and information to Odin. Hugin is "thought" and Munin is "memory". They are sent out at dawn to gather information and return in the evening. They perch on the god's shoulders and whisper the news into his ears. It is from these ravens that the kenning 'raven-god' for Odin is derived."
    Check my Site

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Nobody asked... but here I go anyway....

Phaon - A grumpy, old and fugly boatman who crossed goddess Aphrodite over the Mithylene for no payment. Aphrodite gave him an ointment that made him most popular kind on the block. Later got laid with poet Sappho and dump her... she commited suicide.

Ronin - A Samurai without a master.

Vidar - Is a son of Odin and god of silence and revenge.

Asgard, Odin, Thor and all the chick's names are pretty much straightforwards.....

More on Hugin....

"Huginn and Muninn, sometimes Anglicized Hugin and Munin, are a pair of ravens associated with the Norse god Odin. Hugin and Munin travel the world bearing news and information to Odin. Hugin is "thought" and Munin is "memory". They are sent out at dawn to gather information and return in the evening. They perch on the god's shoulders and whisper the news into his ears. It is from these ravens that the kenning 'raven-god' for Odin is derived."
    I still wouldn't buy a fork called the ass guard.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Members who have read this thread: 0