New light FR tubeless wheel build- Mtbr.com
    Pivoteer

New light FR tubeless wheel build

Today I received my rebuilt wheelset from Dave Thomas (a local here in Phoenix and could be considered one of the better wheel builders). He built up my Kings to Stans FR rims with Wheelsmith 2.0/1.7 and 2.0/1.8 spokes with aluminum nipples. They weigh in at 928 grams for the front and 1030 grams for the rear (including tape and strips) So the weight is reasonable.

The rims are manufactured by Sun rims and each rim was marked with it's weight. Claimed weight is 545 grams. My front came in at 536 grams and rear at 539 grams. Rims are 32 mm wide. The seam was welded (as you can see in the picture) with a weld like I have never seen before on a rim. Very burly it seems. I am not sure if the rim is pinned as well. Dave taped the rims and put on the strips for me. The strips are shrader valves.

My previous wheels were Mavic 819 with Wheelsmith 2.0/1.8 spokes. I run Maxxis DH 2 ply 2.7 ST Minion DHF in the front and 2.5 Minion DHF in the rear. Mounting the rear tire was as simple as it was on the Mavic. Soap the bead, hit it with the compressor, a few snaps from the bead and the tire was ready to go. The front tire was a bit more of a challenge. I could not get the front tire to seal. I was getting a huge amount of air rushing out around the valve. I removed the strip and checked and all seemed good. I tried again with the same result. Now I was getting nervous. So I decided to rotate the tire 180 degrees (I always place the yellow Maxxis.com logo at the valve stem). Hit it again and that was it. I was reusing tires, so maybe there was some latex build up or something on the bead.

Now that the tires are mounted and holding air very well over the past few hours, here is what I noticed different. One, the 32mm wide rim really spreads the tire out, so the tread has more contact with the ground. The sidewalls support the outside knobs so cornering on the pavement felt much better. I cannot feel a difference in weight, but we will see what happens when I hit the trails tomorrow.

I will give a further review of the rim and their durability after I hit a few SOMO runs.

Here are some quick pics

Last edited by tiSS'er; 10-24-2006 at 08:49 PM.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

banned
    Cornering on pavement is the true test of a FR wheelset and tire.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Cornering on pavement is the true test of a FR wheelset and tire.
    Aren't you the smarty-pants lately?

Actually, I have what would kind of be considered DH wheels (well, DH/FR rims anyway) on my Kona. And, while they are admittedly not high quality wheels, I can easily make them bend likely a flexi-straw just carving around on the street. I'm curious to see when a I get a decent set of wheels on my RFX how they react.

I'm curious to hear how the Stans/Kings wheels feel and hold up out on the trail.

Patrick

No, that's not phonetic
    Is that 32mm inside or outside?

Nice lookin' hoops!
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Outside.

Those rims are quite different in shape than anything else out there.

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by davep
    Outside.

Those rims are quite different in shape than anything else out there.
    Correct. They are very different than anything I have seen. The bead hook is so different that I was concerned that the DH beads would even slide in there. Once pumping them up, they made the nice loud snapping sound so I know the bead was set well. Over night, the tires lost 0psi. I will be hitting the trail a ton in the next few months so I will report back on durability.

They better work well, they are stupid expensive. $95 per rim with strip.

Living the Dream

Nice Wheels

I am contemplating replacing my rear Hadley/819 wheel with a Hadley/ Stans FR or Hadley/XM 321 combo. Either will be run Tubeless. I have a 5.1D rim in the front which I like, but I hear mixed durability reviews for using it in the rear. Do you need stans strips for the Stans FR Rims?
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

banned
    I thought the durability issues were with the 6.1, while the 5.1 works well for its intended usage.

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    I am contemplating replacing my rear Hadley/819 wheel with a Hadley/ Stans FR or Hadley/XM 321 combo. Either will be run Tubeless. I have a 5.1D rim in the front which I like, but I hear mixed durability reviews for using it in the rear. Do you need stans strips for the Stans FR Rims?

I have been told that you do have to run the strips, but they are included. They appear to be different than the standard stans rim strips. I have had durability issues with my 819's, but likely because the build not the best. I will be curious to see how these stand up to the punishment, being so light and all.

As noted earlier, the strips/rim combo and installation went very well. The issues I had were likely due to re-using a tire rather than mounting up a new one.

Members who have read this thread: 0