mtbr member

New fork for endurance racing bike: SID or Reba? (x-post Endurance Racing)

I am looking to replace the fork on my racing bike. Have any of you ridden the 2009 SID and Reba Team forks with the new damper? Any likes or dislikes? If you have ridden both, can you compare chassis stiffness and damper characteristics?

I am trying not to fall in the weight weenie trap and make the choice based on the 0.35lbs difference (according to Rock Shox), but all else being equal I am leaning towards the SID.

A little about me and the bike: 165lbs riding primarily in the Northeastern US, I should race expert but don't race enough to justify a yearly license so I register sport (I know, I know, ...). The bike is a large Turner Flux (current weight just under 26lbs with Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 LUST tires and 3.8lbs fork).

I think I need to Upgrade
    How often do you want to rebuild your fork to maintain good performance? Thats what I thought, go with the Reba! The SID needs to be rebuilt quite often (previous models every 15 hours of riding, not sure about 09 model) to maintain peak performance. The Reba is going to be stiffer, and more plush than the SID.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    How often do you want to rebuild your fork to maintain good performance? Thats what I thought, go with the Reba! The SID needs to be rebuilt quite often (previous models every 15 hours of riding, not sure about 09 model) to maintain peak performance. The Reba is going to be stiffer, and more plush than the SID.
    That's a very good point I was not aware of. Does the SID need more frequent maintenance because oil volumes are smaller?

Edit: I just checked the service manual for 2009 Rockshox forks and indeed there are 10ml of lubrication oil in the lowers of the Reba, while only 5ml of lubrication oil in the lowers of the SID.
    Last edited by nybike1971; 02-16-2009 at 03:25 PM.

Otoh....

A bit of Devil's Advocate if you will. What is this other 3.8 fork you speak of? Is it still in good shape? If yes why not get the Sid and run it FRO? You get the advantage of a nice light weight fork when you need it most and have something more durable to run the rest of the time.

Having said that I own a reba and think it would be a great flux fork. It is very easy to do DIY service.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDtofer
    A bit of Devil's Advocate if you will. What is this other 3.8 fork you speak of? Is it still in good shape? If yes why not get the Sid and run it FRO? You get the advantage of a nice light weight fork when you need it most and have something more durable to run the rest of the time.

Having said that I own a reba and think it would be a great flux fork. It is very easy to do DIY service.
    I know what you are saying but the "reliable" part is the problem. The fork is a 2006 Marzocchi Marathon SL which I purchased in March 2007 and has gone back to Marzocchi for service three times already. The o-ring that separates the negative air chamber from the PAR chamber gets chewed up enough to let air into the PAR. This extends the fork to full travel over the course of a ride (120mm on an already longer a2c length for the travel) and makes the fork extremely progressive. I had to fight with Marzocchi multiple times as they claim this is wear and tear and not warranty service. Every time I have won the battle but in March the fork will go out of warranty and I know that in six months I would have to start paying $100 a pop to get it serviced.

Right now the fork has just been serviced and is in tip-top shape. I love how it performs when it is like this, but it won't last.

So ... the new fork will have to replace the old one. On the other hand I have a Spot built at 29lbs so that's pushing me towards the lighter fork. I just don't want to get stuck with a harsh, high-maintenance, flexy fork to save 0.3lbs. On the other hand if peple are enjoying the new SIDs and don't see too much of a performance hit compared to the Reba at 100mm, then I'll gladly take the weight loss.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    SIDs are for 3 hour max xc races. You'll love the Reba during the last 1/3 of any endurance race.
    Whining is not a strategy.

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    I just don't want to get stuck with a harsh, high-maintenance, flexy fork to save 0.3lbs.

Then why are you looking at the SID?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Please. The new SID is not anything like the old, it is plenty stiff, at least on par with the pre-08 Reba, the suspension action between the Reba with the new damper and the SID will be identical, it's the same damper and dual air in both cases. The SID has hollow lower legs and slightly less lubrication oil and weighs less. It might need more frequent oil changes, but it's nothing like the old SID, changing the lubrication oil takes virtually no time anyway, cleaning seals and oiling foam rings should be done at the same rate in both the SID and the Reba (they're the same components..).

Anyways, I've ridden the old Reba and I have the new SID Team (I have two sets, even..) and as said, I can't really tell a difference in stiffness, theoretically the new SID is a bit stiffer. Damper wise the new SID Team behaves better, most likely due to the new damper - but the new Reba Team should be the same, nice balance of LSC and HSC. In my view there is no reason to pick the Reba unless you need the maxle or it's for a 29'er.
    Last edited by rasmusj; 02-19-2009 at 09:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    Then why are you looking at the SID?
    Because from what I have heard and read the line between the Reba and SID has gotten a lot blurrier than in the past.

Comparing today the Fox and RS line up, to me it looks something like this:

SID -> F80/F100
    Reba -> F120

rasmusj: Thank you for the review, definitely interesting food for thought!

Moosehead
    OP, sounds like you may not be a Fox fan, but IME they work extremely well on Flux with 100m RLC, and on Spot with Talas. Pushed will get full travel, and durability and stiffness are fine even with QR presuming no hucking. Weight is closer to SID and less than Reba. I've run the Fox/Flux for hard trail and endurance events now and again.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FOX-FORK-32-100-...2%7C240%3A1318

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    OP, sounds like you may not be a Fox fan, but IME they work extremely well on Flux with 100m RLC, and on Spot with Talas. Pushed will get full travel, and durability and stiffness are fine even with QR presuming no hucking. Weight is closer to SID and less than Reba. I've run the Fox/Flux for hard trail and endurance events now and again.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FOX-FORK-32-100-...2%7C240%3A1318

Moosehead,

I actually do like Fox forks quite a bit, just looking to try something different and I am very curious about the Blackbox Motion Control damper with internally tunable high-speed compression damping.

I have a 36 Talas on the RFX, that I like very much and my wife has a 32 Float on the trail bike and an F100 on her race bike (which somehow found its way to my Flux until a new fork shows up ).

After munching on all the advice I got here, I found a very good deal on a SID Team and decided to go for it. At that price, it shouldn't be hard to turn it around if in the end I like the action of the F100 better.

Thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rasmusj
    Please. The new SID is not anything like the old, it is plenty stiff, at least on par with the pre-08 Reba, the suspension action between the Reba with the new damper and the SID will be identical, it's the same damper and dual air in both cases. The SID has hollow lower legs and slightly less lubrication oil and weighs less. It might need more frequent oil changes, but it's nothing like the old SID, changing the lubrication oil takes virtually no time anyway, cleaning seals and oiling foam rings should be done at the same rate in both the SID and the Reba (they're the same components..).

Anyways, I've ridden the old Reba and I have the new SID Team (I have two sets, even..) and as said, I can't really tell a difference in stiffness, theoretically the new SID is a bit stiffer. Damper wise the new SID Team behaves better, most likely due to the new damper - but the new Reba Team should be the same, nice balance of LSC and HSC. In my view there is no reason to pick the Reba unless you need the maxle or it's for a 29'er.
    That's the same conclusion I came to when picking the parts for my wife's new bike. The new SID is a completely different animal than the older ones.

Members who have read this thread: 0