Thread: New Flux!

mtbr member

Good job! New Flux!

Thought I would share a pic of my new Flux which got me through the "Shenandoah Mountain 100" in 13 hours...my first mountain bike race. The Flux rocks!

new flux.jpgling training\new flux.jpg[/IMG]

Turner Flux- medium- grey (not showing XTR pedals, different saddle and grips). 24.6 lbs.

Front Suspension Fork: Fox 32 F100 RLC Fork 2010
    Brake: Shimano XTR Disc Brakes BR-M975 (With Levers) 160mm Rear Rotor 160mm Front Rotor, Post Mount
    Cassettes: Shimano XTR Cassette CS-M970 *OEM 11/34
    Chains: Shimano XTR 9-speed CN-7701 Chain
    Cranks: Shimano XTR Hollowtech II Crankset FC-M970 175mm
    Front Derailleurs: Shimano XTR Front Derailleur - Traditional FD-M971 34.9mm
    Grips: Ergon GP1
    Handlebars: Ritchey WCS OS Carbon Low Rizer Bar
    Headset: Ritchey Scuzzy Pro Logic Headset
    Pedals: Shimano XTR Pedals PD-M970
    Rear Derailleurs: Shimano XTR Rear Derailleur - Top Normal RD-M971 Long Cage SGS
    Rear Shock: Fox Float RP23 6.5 x 1.5
    Saddles: Specialized- Phenom, Gel 143
    Seatpost: Thomson Elite Seatpost Silver 367mm 30.9mm
    Shifter: Shimano XTR Rapidfire Plus Shift Levers SL-M970
    Stems: Ritchey Pro 4-Axis "44" O/S Stem 90mm
    Water Bottle Cages: King Cage Stainless Water Bottle Cage
    Wheels: Mavic CrossMax ST Wheelset Centerlock - Tubeless
    Tires - Front: Hutchinson Python UST NG Light Tire Black
    Tires - Rear: Hutchinson Python UST NG Light Tire Black
    Last edited by Jackbflyin; 09-08-2009 at 07:17 PM.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Great build - sub 25lbs very impressive.

It ain't easy being Green
    Nice build! Over time you may change a few things (all imho, of course :
    1. 90mm stem is too short for Flux; I started with a 90 but switched to 100mm to improve technical climbing stability; I may go 110... Why not Thomson? You were wise enough to get the seatpost...

2. Ritchey bar? Meh... Monkeylite Whatever, they're the same really.

The rest of your build is pretty much exactly like mine, which means it's practically perfect!

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    [QUOTE=sdcadbiker]Nice build! Over time you may change a few things (all imho, of course :
    1. 90mm stem is too short for Flux; I started with a 90 but switched to 100mm to improve technical climbing stability; I may go 110... Why not Thomson? You were wise enough to get the seatpost...

I went the other way on the stem. I had a 100mm and switched to a 90mm. I felt a little stretched out with the 100 mm. The 90 is perfect.

It ain't easy being Green
    Diff'rent strokes, I guess...
    My (140 pound) buddy has a medium size Flux with a 110mm stem, he's a happy bunny; I went 90mm on my large frame (I'm 175 pounds, 6' 1") because that's what was on my previous bike (FSR), but it just didn't feel right; I was losing the front on steep climbs. The extra 10mm made all the difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    100 mile race for your first race huh? Nicely done! Thats a courageous move.

mtbr member
    Thx. By the way, I'm 5 ft 6 and 138 lbs- someone recommended I get a 110 but I thought it might be more of a reach than I want. On the other hand, I also was told the handling is better with a shorter stem so I stuck with the 90. I think 100 might be a good fit but I really love the handling of the setup. Comments?

Official Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackbflyin
    Thx. By the way, I'm 5 ft 6 and 138 lbs- someone recommended I get a 110 but I thought it might be more of a reach than I want. On the other hand, I also was told the handling is better with a shorter stem so I stuck with the 90. I think 100 might be a good fit but I really love the handling of the setup. Comments?
    I wouldn't worry too much about the stem length if you are happy with the bikes handling. SDCADBIKER has a valid point though ... if your stem is on the short side, XC bikes can wander a little (or require a little more body lean) on steep climbs. Doesn't sound like you are having that issue.

Otherwise, it's all about comfort, and what feels right. FWIW, I went from a 100mm 10 degree stem, to a 105mm 6 degree and surprisingly noticed an improvement on the steep climbs.

Moosehead
    Sweet build and well done on the hundo.

Personal preference on the stem length. I held out for a while with 120, went 110, and am now at 100 on Flux which is used on a ton of climbs. Went 90mm on Spot and just lean my cromagnon skull a little further out front on the climbs. You may have to make slight adjustments on climbs with shorter length, but get increased comfort on big outings, YMMV.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thought I would share a pic of my new Flux which got me through the "Shenandoah Mountain 100" in 13 hours...my first mountain bike race. The Flux rocks!

new flux.jpgling training\new flux.jpg[/IMG]

Turner Flux- medium- grey (not showing XTR pedals, different saddle and grips). 24.6 lbs.

Front Suspension Fork: Fox 32 F100 RLC Fork 2010
    Brake: Shimano XTR Disc Brakes BR-M975 (With Levers) 160mm Rear Rotor 160mm Front Rotor, Post Mount
    Cassettes: Shimano XTR Cassette CS-M970 *OEM 11/34
    Chains: Shimano XTR 9-speed CN-7701 Chain
    Cranks: Shimano XTR Hollowtech II Crankset FC-M970 175mm
    Front Derailleurs: Shimano XTR Front Derailleur - Traditional FD-M971 34.9mm
    Grips: Ergon GP1
    Handlebars: Ritchey WCS OS Carbon Low Rizer Bar
    Headset: Ritchey Scuzzy Pro Logic Headset
    Pedals: Shimano XTR Pedals PD-M970
    Rear Derailleurs: Shimano XTR Rear Derailleur - Top Normal RD-M971 Long Cage SGS
    Rear Shock: Fox Float RP23 6.5 x 1.5
    Saddles: Specialized- Phenom, Gel 143
    Seatpost: Thomson Elite Seatpost Silver 367mm 30.9mm
    Shifter: Shimano XTR Rapidfire Plus Shift Levers SL-M970
    Stems: Ritchey Pro 4-Axis "44" O/S Stem 90mm
    Water Bottle Cages: King Cage Stainless Water Bottle Cage
    Wheels: Mavic CrossMax ST Wheelset Centerlock - Tubeless
    Tires - Front: Hutchinson Python UST NG Light Tire Black
    Tires - Rear: Hutchinson Python UST NG Light Tire Black
    Hey, I think I saw you out there and commented on your bike. Heading up Hanky I think. Glad it worked out for ya.

I just wish Turner would come out w/ a 3-4" race 29er. I'd buy that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    I just wish Turner would come out w/ a 3-4" race 29er. I'd buy that.
    Ditto that. Or at least a 650B. I'm poking around the forum tonight, hoping to hear some news to this effect...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Suhwwweeettt rig! You're 5' 6" and fit a medium? I'm the same and would be better on a small, just personal choice of course. Could you do me a favor and measure your effective TT length? I know it's listed on the website, but I like to get real world measurements also.

And what scale did you use to weigh it? That weight is incredibly low and you didn't use stupid light parts either. I'm looking into getting a scale too.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Re-weighed the bike after a couple changes (added pedals- can't get far with out them, changed seat to Phenom Gel 143, and changed to Ergon grips). Weighs 25.4 using Tanita digital bathroom scale. TT is 22.75 in center of seat tube to center of front tube (top tube angled). If I level measuring tape from top tube to seat post it's 23 in. I was on the edge of the small and medium. I decided to go with the medium because the small just felt a little small (had been riding a 17 in Kona Kula hardtail). The medium feels great and I have a 90mm stem. I'm considering going to a 100 and I've had a recommendation to go to the 110. To get the bike into lower weight I think I would have to go with STR wheels, lighter seat and it would be down to maybe 24.5 lb. I'm sticking with what I have and recommend it. Works great and hope it lasts a long time. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have other questions. By the way, I worked with Competitive Cycles and they did a great job for me so I recommend them as well.

mtbr member
    Another pic. Finish line at the Shenandoah Mountain 100 last week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Another pic. Finish line at the Shenandoah Mountain 100 last week.
    Hey, are you the Naval Aviator I was talking to in line for the shower? I was chatting about my brother in law who used to be an aviator also.

mtbr member
    Yea that's me...waiting in line for that icy cold shower. I never did get my "welcome to the polar club" button after that, ha ha.

Members who have read this thread: 0