new chain magic... how do I get it back?- Mtbr.com
    WIRVNTANASHRSH?

new chain magic... how do I get it back?

Has anyone else experienced new chain nirvana like I do? Whenever I put on a new chain my bike transforms into this smooth, quiet, flowing machine. I know it's weird, but when my bike is so smooth/quiet I just love riding so much more.

I'm convinced that the reason for this is the thick factory lube that comes on the chain. Once this wears off and I clean the chain and relube with whatever (currently pro link but I'm gonna try Dumonde next) my bike is back to it's old self.. clangy clangy with every hit and descent.

So has anyone found a way to keep the chain as quiet as the factory lube does?

Lay off the Levers
    Pedros Syn Lube. Silent magical... attracts dirt... I don't care... I love it!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by climr
    dont ride. works wonders on cleanlyness too! ive been doin this for years and all my crap runs like new.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I use Tri Flow. It is thick and a dirt magnet but I think this concotion of heavy oil and fine dirt on the chain really quiets down the drive train. I've tried many dry lubes and hated them. Metal on metal clanging; noisy shifting, etc. I usually relube every other ride and clean the chain every few months or so. Go with some heavier oil type lube especially in the wet months. It really makes a difference.

what...?
    Change the chain before each ride
    Without love in a dream it will never come true

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    rock n roll extreme blue works killer in the wet if ya can get over the silly name. it has no equal. i promise ya.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    rock n roll extreme blue works killer in the wet if ya can get over the silly name. it has no equal. i promise ya.
    That's what I'm using now, but as frequently as I'm having to apply it, every 2-3 rides, and with as liberally as Rock'n Rol recommends I'll be through a bottle in no time. I still like Beoshield T-9 better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtbkr
    Change the chain before each ride
    But what about stops during the ride, do I need to change then too?

mtbr member

oops...

I'm convinced that the reason for this is the thick factory lube that comes on the chain.
    you should've just cleaned off that lube and applied your own before riding with the new chain. that way, you wouldn't have had to know if there was something better than pro-link.

it's like me riding one of the RFXs for a day..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    That's what I'm using now, but as frequently as I'm having to apply it, every 2-3 rides, and with as liberally as Rock'n Rol recommends I'll be through a bottle in no time. I still like Beoshield T-9 better.
    I keep going back to the T-9, this stuff just lasts a long time, lubes very well, and doesn't attract dirt. My 220 lbs is tough on the drive train and this is the only lube that lasts more than several rides.

mtbr member

regular bathing helps

Has anyone else experienced new chain nirvana like I do? Whenever I put on a new chain my bike transforms into this smooth, quiet, flowing machine. I know it's weird, but when my bike is so smooth/quiet I just love riding so much more.

I'm convinced that the reason for this is the thick factory lube that comes on the chain. Once this wears off and I clean the chain and relube with whatever (currently pro link but I'm gonna try Dumonde next) my bike is back to it's old self.. clangy clangy with every hit and descent.

Here's what I do--and I just replaced my chain after 10 months only because the guys @ the LBS looked at my like I was insane when I said my chain was 10 months old---
    anyhow,
    I actually get rid of that factory lube before I do anything--I've noticed that the stuff attracts dirt like crazy, and my Lube (Dumonde Tech) doesn't react well with it. It acts like a dirt pheremone.
    anyway, I use that Finish Line natural degreaser & soak the chain a few seconds & scrub w/ a toothbrush. Rinse in water. Dry, break to fit, install, lube.
    I clean the chain on the bike probably 1x a month, again w/ the Finish line, rinse, dry, lube...conditioner, lather, rinse repeat
    seriously, I only changed the chain b/c it was starting to drop alot and a few missed shifts even after adjusting the der's.

John
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

trail fairy
    I have to degrease my chain after every ride after riding the sandpit I use to use Rocknroll but as CD says ya go through it darn fast.

I now use White Lighting Epic and it is good for everything else too and lasts long time
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Members who have read this thread: 0