New Camera Advice Team Sanchez Approved- Mtbr.com
    Living the Dream

New Camera Advice Team Sanchez Approved

What do you guys think of the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2S and the Gregory AccuCase Camera Case. I have good reviews on this camera and their 2006 8.4MP version. I am also interested in a case that will protect the camera from most falls and is easily accessible. I know that a couple of Team Sanchez had nifty bags that attached to their camelbak straps. I have a pelican micro case that is bombproof. However it is heavy and not accessible enough. Thanks for any advice.

This is the 2006 version that I'm most interested in.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_Lu...-31456442.html

2007 Version
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_Lu...-31977238.html

gregory case
    http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    I don't have any experience with Panasonics. The last three compact digital camera's I've bought have all been the Canon Powershot SD/Elph series. They offer all the features I need in a surprisingly compact little body. Size matters. I'm currenlty using the IS700 which has decent video capabilities, but in hind sight I'd probably go with the IS630 because I have yet to use the video and the 630 has several nice camera features that the 700 doesn't and it's cheaper.

I'm using the smaller version of the Gregory Accucase and it works nicely. Tshceezy has a nice LowePro case that fits his Canon very nicely. I don't recall the model, but maybe he'll hop on and let you know. Hope that helps. You also ought to search "digital camera" here on the Turner, Passion & General forums. Lots of previous discussions.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    if ya can still find one, the cannon sd400 is teets! its in the elph series ctd talks of. funny you guys mention the cases. i was just lookin for one a few days ago and came up snake eyes. nuthin tough enough or one that will mount on the shoulder strap without dumpin the digi on the dirt. i was bustin my tiny little brain for the name of cheeseballs case but failed to do so. thanx crash.
    No, I'm NOT back!

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ-5 wich is a great camera.It is relative compact and has a good optical 12x zoom with Leica optics and the OIS image stabilisation works perfect!
    No real need for a tripod and good image quality.Most functions can be set and adjusted manualy but its not as complicated to use as an SLR but at the other hand more entusiastic orientated as other more simple compact cams.It is just the right size in between,perfect for mountainbiking and fits nice into my Camelback Havoc.The only drawbacks I found out is that it could be a bit more light sensitive for the action shots in the deep dark woods but as Team Sanchez usualy rides in treeless desert areas this should work out ok I guess.And a support for an aux flashlight is missing but of course there are some higher end models avaible wich cover those little issues.
    My camera is of course a now older 5mb camera (last years model) but I can really recommend looking closer into the Panasonic line-up.

Later
    RaD

mtbr member
    I second Crash's and CC's recommendation of the Canon SD series. I have the SD550 which is probably the same as Crash's IS700 (the Japanese version). Before that, I used a canon SD400. A little bulky compared to the SD550, and it had a full manual (battery sucker) mode. Both offer awesome picture quality. Zoom wasn't important to me because with zoom, you always need a tripod and either they add weight to my camelbak, or rocks are not always flat to place the tripod on.

I chose the SD550 for the following reasons:
    1. size & weight
    2. fast continuous shots (great for sequence)
    3. semi-auto mode - not full auto, not full manual, but just the important adjustments like macro, landscape, shutter, flash
    4. superior battery life. I have taken up to 200 shots at full resolution, lowest compression and have not been able to run the battery dry.
    5. i'm an idiot and never learned all about the f-stops and stuff

Downsides (I am a whiner too):
    1. big LCD at the back = 2hrs of use before you see the first scratch on it
    2. not waterproof.. hehe..

I use the Timbuk2 accesory case:
    http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/retail/ca...?categoryId=13

or the Lowe Alpine case:
    http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH

I find hard plastic cases a pain to carry around. The SD550 has a very solid metal exterior. Stuff it camera in your camelbak, or hand the camera to your friend before you do stupid things, and it will be safe from a crash.

... I guess you won't be
    I got a new camera the other day - it's soo advanced, you don't need it anymore!

mtbr member
    User Rating: Mediocre 4 out of 10
    "DMC-LX2K: What A Disappointment!!!"
    by all_about_gps (see profile) - October 6, 2006

Pros:
    Smallest 10 MP with manual for professional effects

Cons:
    Noise, Noise, Noise, No zoom/focus control in video?!

Full user opinion
    This camera is well built, with many good features as already discussed in various forums (Do a google search under DMC-LX2 review). Leica optics is definitely a plus. I tried all modes and the results were mixed. The biggest problem is the noise with ambient indoor lighting, even using ISO100 with noise reduction. Too many color grainy dots on black objects. Mega Optical Image Stabilization (either mode 1 or mode 2) works only marginally well, essentially no difference from my Canon SD500, which does not have image stabilizer. Known for its versatility, this camera come with a surprise that it has no zoom/focus control once the motion picture mode (i.e., video mode) starts. This is rather stupid from design standpoint of view. I hope this flaw can be fixed with future firmware upgrade.

Captain Underpants
    I'd start by looking here for better reviews:

http://www.dpreview.com/

Cnet does only a fairt job when it comes to camera reviews--the folks at dpreview are far more knowledgeable, and the site is dedicated to photography. Cnet, on the other hand, will review anything if it gets them additional page hits and ad revenue. Honestly, I'm suprised they haven't started writing Turner reviews . . . .

Having used Canons for a while, I like the powershot series, and the 600 or 630 in particular. They both have 6 megapixel sensors which will work well for blowups up to 8x10, have good color accuracy and are easy to use.

Another camera to look at is the Casio line--I know of a couple of pros that absolutely rave about them. Either way, you want something light and fast.

Oh, and on the DMC-lx2k (see post right before mine)--the Leica optics in this price range are no better than the optics that Canon or anyone else sells--you need to spend upward of $600 on a lense before you start to notice differences between manufacturers. Don't be fooled into thinking fancy leica or Zeiss lenses will make a difference on a $300 camera--they won't. (this coming from a former Leica owner)

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by jokermtb
    I got a new camera the other day - it's soo advanced, you don't need it anymore!
    someones a steven wright fan.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Time flies...
    [QUOTE=CrashTheDOG]I don't have any experience with Panasonics. The last three compact digital camera's I've bought have all been the Canon Powershot SD/Elph series. They offer all the features I need in a surprisingly compact little body. Size matters. I'm currenlty using the IS700 which has decent video capabilities, but in hind sight I'd probably go with the IS630 because I have yet to use the video and the 630 has several nice camera features that the 700 doesn't and it's cheaper.

QUOTE]
    I recently replaced my old SD400 w/ the new IS700. In short, I find video snippets much more rewarding than stills for motion sports (biking), although good stills are nice too. And the IS (image stabilization) reduces blurred shots greatly. For all the compromises involved for a biking camera, I'm very happy w/ this one.
    ...every day sends future to past...

... I guess you won't be
    ahahahah - you saw it too, I presume?

Baked Alaskan
    Personally I'm a big fan of Canon, to me their imaging is superior to all the others out there, the cameras are very durable and the menus are very logical and user friendly. Look at sites like DPreview and the Canon's match up well against everything similar from other manufactures, some with higher MP resolutions than the Canon's.

And this is from personal experience - but looking at the Panasonic - why isn't there an optical viewfinder of some sort? LCD's burn the batteries faster and - more importantly - if you drop it and the LCD craps out, you can still use the cam if there's a viewfinder.

I have 22 digicams in my office right now - I work for a media production training program - and 5 cameras got ordered when I was on vacation this summer. They don't have a viewfinder and two of them are now useless because the LCD died. Back to Olympus they go .. what a friggin hassle.

For the overall package - image quality, durability and user-ability - IMHO Canon can't be beat. I believe Tscheez and Zilla are some of the many Canon users that frequently post in the forum too.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Members who have read this thread: 0