New 5-spot Quesiton- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New 5-spot Quesiton

Does the new DW Link 5 Spot have water bottle bosses on it? it's actually one of those things that might make or break a purchase. i don't understand why complanies are making bikes to go ride all day on without the ability to through a bottle on them. the more weight that i can take off my back, the better.

THANKS!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Yep. 1 set on the top side of the down tube (i.e. where you can reach it).

banned
    I'm the opposite. I wish frames would have a delete option for water bottle bosses. When I need more water for long rides, I put a second bladder and tube in my Dakine Nomad.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by packfill
    Does the new DW Link 5 Spot have water bottle bosses on it? it's actually one of those things that might make or break a purchase. i don't understand why complanies are making bikes to go ride all day on without the ability to through a bottle on them. the more weight that i can take off my back, the better.

THANKS!
    Im with you packfill. I love to just grab a bottle and go for a quick blast with no weight on my back. Plus, when I do a epic or long ride, I like to put some electro/cliff mix in a bottle and Its a pain to try to clean a bladder with that stuff in it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by packfill

THANKS!
    Well, I like to put the weight as close to my CG as possible, which means my back. And I ride "all day", which means a I need a helluva lot more water than 24oz, way more than 48, and when it's actually hot outside, a lot more than 100oz. Seeing as there's no advantage to waterbottles, I can see why they are falling out of favor. Some people like V-brakes, but how many high end bikes can you find with V-brake studs these days? You're not necessarily wrong, but then you have to fasten a pump to your frame and one of those little tool-bags that goes under the seat and carrys a tube and some tools, now your bike weighs 3-4lbs more, and it's weight that's fairly far away from your CG.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by m-dub
    Plus, when I do a epic or long ride, I like to put some electro/cliff mix in a bottle and Its a pain to try to clean a bladder with that stuff in it.
    If you need electrolytes, switch to something sugar free like Bigger Nuun tablets. Without sugar the bacteria growth isn't an issue plus it hydrates you faster.

mtbr member
    Light batteries.

You guys don't do much night riding, or what?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder
    Light batteries.

Modern light systems have very small lion or lipoly packs that just velcro to the frame or stem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by syadasti
    Modern light systems have very small lion or lipoly packs that just velcro to the frame or stem.
    I guess my lights, and those of the folks I ride with, just aren't modern

Is Antiques Roadshow still on TV?

I wonder if I could get something for my lights?

Bandolero

Set Phasors to Maximum Power

Quote Originally Posted by syadasti
    Not all of them. Some people like high power&long runtime light(s) for the bars. The extra photon push is good for resistance training.

My "little" Li-ion battery weighs over 8ozs. At max power I get about 3 hour runtime. I can see how some people (juan_speeder) might anticipate a longer ride than that.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    Not all of them. Some people like high power&long runtime light(s) for the bars. The extra photon push is good for resistance training.

My "little" Li-ion battery weighs over 8ozs. At max power I get about 3 hour runtime. I can see how some people (juan_speeder) might anticipate a longer ride than that.
    Not a problem - not too many people are going to have that light besides, my light is 1000 lumens (Quad R2), 5 hr high run time, 3 hour charge time, and the battery pack fits in my camelback (about the size of a pack of cigarettes) plus its a third of the cost that of that system too. Lupine is overpriced and most have smaller packs these days. Also most people prefer Lupine's P7 Tesla light which has a regular sized battery.

banned
    Sep 2005
    He might anticipate a longer ride than that...

But I am more interested in who is crazy enough to do it with him?

Lay off the Levers
    LOL how did I miss that thread!

Man I wish I had that much time to ride.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder
    Light batteries.

Bingo!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I'm with m-dub on this one. If I'm doing a ride of 1.5 hours or less, I'll usually drink a bottle of water or Gu20 before I ride and have another bottle with me to keep me hydrated during the ride. So I'm not unnecessarily carrying anything on my back. The other time I prefer bottles is when I'm racing, particularly "hamster wheel" races where I'm doing laps. Less weight hanging off my shoulders = less fatigue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    LOL how did I miss that thread!

Man I wish I had that much time to ride.

Even if I did I'm not sure I would. I used to live out in Abq; that's an epic ride, and doing it 3x in a week? Damn.

Moosehead
    so all's good cause the single bottle mount looks to satisfy all the above? camels, nitecrawlers, spinners, elixirs, and racers doing one-handed laps. sheesh, i'd hate to see a dwl close killed by the bottle mounts.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Well, I like to put the weight as close to my CG as possible, which means my back. And I ride "all day", which means a I need a helluva lot more water than 24oz, way more than 48, and when it's actually hot outside, a lot more than 100oz. Seeing as there's no advantage to waterbottles, I can see why they are falling out of favor. Some people like V-brakes, but how many high end bikes can you find with V-brake studs these days? You're not necessarily wrong, but then you have to fasten a pump to your frame and one of those little tool-bags that goes under the seat and carrys a tube and some tools, now your bike weighs 3-4lbs more, and it's weight that's fairly far away from your CG.
    3-4 pounds? what tools do you carry? a drill??
    I disagree with you about the CG. Motorcycle guys handle a 250 pound bike and they do FR, XC, whatever. Look at the weight of the "bike" but they never carry more weight with them than us.
    although I don't use water bottles, I say that the weight in bike is better, the question is how much can you put on there? you have a limit

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    3-4 pounds? what tools do you carry? a drill??:
    I'm thinking water+pump+tube+tools is easily 3-4lbs, maybe more.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    so all's good cause the single bottle mount looks to satisfy all the above? camels, nitecrawlers, spinners, elixirs, and racers doing one-handed laps. sheesh, i'd hate to see a dwl close killed by the bottle mounts.

Finally, the voice of reason!

Members who have read this thread: 0