My TNT Spot, a 2011 Spot and 2011 Sultan - a comparison- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

My TNT Spot, a 2011 Spot and 2011 Sultan - a comparison

I've been riding and loving my 2007 TNT Spot on the front range of Colorado for a few years now. I have a pushed Pike up front and a pushed RP23 in back. I don't do big drops, but do ride Dakota Ridge and Apex which have quite a bit of chunk. I have my TNT set up on the plush side for some extra cush.

I had a chance to demo a 2011 5 Spot and a 2011 Sultan on Apex in Golden yesterday.

First up was the DW Spot. My first impression was that it felt lighter than my TNT. Part was the actual weight, part was the firmness of the platform when climbing. When I pedal hard to lift over a rock on my TNT, it does not have near the snap the that DW does. That snappy response and the more solid platform make it feel different climbing. You step on it, and it will take off.

Going downhill the DW Spot felt tight, controlled and the wallow that I get on my TNT is absent entirely. It inspired confidence. It had the ability to rail corners (more than I can).

Overall, I liked the ride of the DW Spot better than my TNT. It was better climbing and tighter descending. If I had to throw a number at it, I'd say it was 20% better. Not enough to cause me to immediately sell my children for science experiments, but enough to make me want to plan a future purchase.

Next was the Sultan. My preconception was that the Sultan would be good at fast smooth where the gyroscope of the 29 inch wheels would keep things going straight, but that it might be a bit of a challenge in the slow techie stuff where inertia would mire things down.

What I noticed immediately, was that when climbing, the waterbars and smaller chunk felt like they had been halved. The Sultan had the same DW feel as the Spot - no wallow, firm platform, some "squirt" when you stepped on it. The acceleration was a bit more tempered than the Spot, but it was no slouch. The sluggishness that I anticipated was not there. After 30 or 40 minutes of climbing rocky stuff, I was impressed with the difference that the Sultan was making.

Heading downhill on the Sutlan felt like cheating. The margin for error was significanlty better in rolling off drops or picking a line through chunk. And, at speed, it just devoured everything.

I went from thinking "A DW Spot would be a bit better, I should save up" to "I want a Sultan NOW!!"

mtbr member

2011 Sultan

That's pretty much what I expected. Get one ASAP!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I never warmed up to my 2007 Spot. My Burner at the time did everything I needed in a mtb (even at 4") and the Spot just seemed slow (except for the descents, where I'm slower than your grandmother).

Did you notice anything quantifiable about the slacker HTA of the Spot compared to your '07?
    Wheel flopping back and forth/not flopping/not lifting over uphill obstacles/lifting just fine/stable as a mofo coming down?

I'd only demo'd 2009 DW Spots and their HTA were fairly steep and I felt right at home on them, much more so than on my '07.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    Can anyone compare the difference in how a 2010 Sultan rides vs the 2011 Sultan? If there is another thread about this, please point me in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

2010 vs 2011 sultan

Quote Originally Posted by ccornacc
    Can anyone compare the difference in how a 2010 Sultan rides vs the 2011 Sultan? If there is another thread about this, please point me in the right direction.
    I rode a 2010 Sultan last year and just started riding the 2011 sultan with a trip to southern Utah last week. The 2011 rides almost identically to the 2010. One difference I noticed and thought to be an improvement over the 2010 is the ability to use a bigger fork. I'm running the Reba 140 and love how it feels. That's really the only discernible difference I could feel.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtoomuch
    I've been riding and loving my 2007 TNT Spot on the front range of Colorado for a few years now. I have a pushed Pike up front and a pushed RP23 in back. I don't do big drops, but do ride Dakota Ridge and Apex which have quite a bit of chunk. I have my TNT set up on the plush side for some extra cush.

I had a chance to demo a 2011 5 Spot and a 2011 Sultan on Apex in Golden yesterday.

First up was the DW Spot. My first impression was that it felt lighter than my TNT. Part was the actual weight, part was the firmness of the platform when climbing. When I pedal hard to lift over a rock on my TNT, it does not have near the snap the that DW does. That snappy response and the more solid platform make it feel different climbing. You step on it, and it will take off.

Going downhill the DW Spot felt tight, controlled and the wallow that I get on my TNT is absent entirely. It inspired confidence. It had the ability to rail corners (more than I can).

Overall, I liked the ride of the DW Spot better than my TNT. It was better climbing and tighter descending. If I had to throw a number at it, I'd say it was 20% better. Not enough to cause me to immediately sell my children for science experiments, but enough to make me want to plan a future purchase.

Next was the Sultan. My preconception was that the Sultan would be good at fast smooth where the gyroscope of the 29 inch wheels would keep things going straight, but that it might be a bit of a challenge in the slow techie stuff where inertia would mire things down.

What I noticed immediately, was that when climbing, the waterbars and smaller chunk felt like they had been halved. The Sultan had the same DW feel as the Spot - no wallow, firm platform, some "squirt" when you stepped on it. The acceleration was a bit more tempered than the Spot, but it was no slouch. The sluggishness that I anticipated was not there. After 30 or 40 minutes of climbing rocky stuff, I was impressed with the difference that the Sultan was making.

Heading downhill on the Sutlan felt like cheating. The margin for error was significanlty better in rolling off drops or picking a line through chunk. And, at speed, it just devoured everything.

I went from thinking "A DW Spot would be a bit better, I should save up" to "I want a Sultan NOW!!"

Can your elaborate on the "children and Science experiments" comment you made?
    Astigmatic Visionary

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Push rockers and RP3 shock on sale

Error wrong ad My bad

Outcast
    Last edited by Renegade; 04-10-2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: double post

Outcast
    Crash, do you recall what fork was on the Sultan?
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Crash, do you recall what fork was on the Sultan?
    Thank you.
    This one?
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:01 AM.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    This one?
    Yep. Fox 120mm.

Did you go to the demo day in Boulder, XC Guy?

As to your question about the slack HA, I didn't notice it climbing - no wandering. I've never ridden a 2010, so I don't have that slightly steeper HA to compare it to.

My TNT squats more than the DW, so the less squatty feel of the DW made more of an impression than the slacker HA - at least going up. Going downhill, I did feel a bit more comfortable rolling off something sharp on the DW. Part of that was likely the HA.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtoomuch
    I took a demo Sultan out today (ride Horst link Spot with Push MX Tune). Looking at the bike, I wasn't blown away by the parts spec, pretty middle of the road mostly, but bike felt lighter than my Spot.

I wish I could have gone yesterday (bike patrol training), as today's weather was not nearly as favorable. Grabbed the bike and headed out. I had read so much I expected that the bike would never bob even out of the saddle, which wasnt true for me, but it was noticeably quicker to jump forward than my Spot.

Part of the snap I think could be associated with the Ardent tires which are so much faster rolling than the Fat Alberts I typically run. I was worried I couldn't rail the loose over hard pack stuff, but it didn't take long to disprove that. I haven't bought the DW hype much, but I was pretty impressed at how quickly I was climbing on the Sultan today. The suspension felt really refined and even though less travel than my Spot I never missed the extra travel of the Spot. Top tube felt shorter and I actually felt really comfortable and aggressive on this bike.

Bike really ripped in the corners and was super predictable in the rough. Fox fork felt surprisingly good too. I had been wanting to audition a Sultan as an in between bike to my SS rigid and my porky Spot. After the ride I started thinking, " why would I keep the spot?"

I was impressed, will be going back to get more demo time in next time they come through town (three weeks I think). Next time I will get someone else to go with me and check out both a Spot and a Sultan to do comparison between the two DW models.
    Last edited by Jdub; 04-11-2011 at 09:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Great observations and reviews! It has taken a bit of time for the Turner DW bikes to really catch on here in Utah, but the 2011s have been selling great. We still sell more Spots than Sultans, but the Sultan is gaining ground quickly.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

Members who have read this thread: 0