My new red hotness- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

My new red hotness

Here are a few pics of my new large 5 Spot. Having ordered it without seeing one in person I was very pleased with the quality of the frame when I unboxed it. The pics and posts on this board helped me with my decision and then kept me going while I waited the two-plus months for it to arrive. Thanks!

Highlights of the build include:
    Fox Vanilla R
    Pewter King hubs & headset
    Magura Freerides 180/160
    SRAM XO rd
    DT Swiss 4.1d rims

Now if it would only stop raining and dry out enough to get it on the dirt.

mtbr member

Nice

That is a killer bike. Nice work. The spec is outstanding.

Be prepared for the baseless associations of your color choice and sexual orientation.

Toby Wong?
    Quote Originally Posted by DLine
    That is a killer bike. Nice work. The spec is outstanding.

Be prepared for the baseless associations of your color choice and sexual orientation.

ehhh.....fuk them! Red's fukkin' HOT! No doot abootit.

SNAP!

No, that's not phonetic
    Is it just my imagination, or are 90% of the "New Bike!" posts on mtbr.com Turners nowadays? Nothing wrong with that!!

Stunningly beautiful bike, perfect spec.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

... I guess you won't be
    those King hubs in Pewter are really stunning!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How do you like the brakes? I'm thinking of picking up a set for my RFX.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

the brakes

Quote Originally Posted by incubus
    How do you like the brakes? I'm thinking of picking up a set for my RFX. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    So far, I really like the brakes. They are quiet and very powerful. I can't take any credit for the setup because Charles at Hammerhead dialed them in before shipping my bike. He strongly recommended these brakes for my weight and type of riding and I am glad that went witht them. I like the "stealth bomber" look of the caliber/lever combo too.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Driggs
    ...Now if it would only stop raining and dry out enough to get it on the dirt.
    Another common theme here... I've seen a LOT of people get their bikes and not ride due to weather...boy that's gotta suck!

Very nice bike! Even the horses seem to be checking it out. And don't worry about the red...just work on memorizing the lyrics to show tunes and old "Village People" songs.

Cheers! (I'm SUPER, thanks for asking!)
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So far, I really like the brakes. They are quiet and very powerful. I can't take any credit for the setup because Charles at Hammerhead dialed them in before shipping my bike. He strongly recommended these brakes for my weight and type of riding and I am glad that went witht them. I like the "stealth bomber" look of the caliber/lever combo too.
    Thanks for the input: what is your weight/style of riding if you don't mind my asking?

mtbr member
    Dave,

Great looking rig. I've been hedging between silver or pewter King bits for my wife's bike and those pics don't make it any easier. Wouldn't it be a perfect world if Thomson would offer all the same anodized colors King did? Anyway, I'll be up in your neck of the woods for a week come the end of June, but it'll be with a five weight (fly rod) not a five spot .

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Is it just my imagination, or are 90% of the "New Bike!" posts on mtbr.com Turners nowadays?
    And 90% of those are Red .

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    And don't worry about the red...just work on memorizing the lyrics to show tunes and old "Village People" songs.
    What about Barbara?!? I can't believe you left out Barbara !

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

our typical trail...

Quote Originally Posted by incubus
    Thanks for the input: what is your weight/style of riding if you don't mind my asking?
    ...here in Teton Valley, ID gains 2000 vertical feet in 10 miles of riding. Our terrain is a mixture of rocky, rooty singletrack and doubletrack trails and most have creek crossings. Good brakes are key because we do get rewarded with long technical downhill sections after the climbs. What goes up must come down right? I weigh 200 lbs so Charles recommended the 180mm rotor for the front and 160mm in the back.

Motion activated
    That's one hell of a nice bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Great looking rig. I've been hedging between silver or pewter King bits for my wife's bike and those pics don't make it any easier. Wouldn't it be a perfect world if Thomson would offer all the same anodized colors King did? Anyway, I'll be up in your neck of the woods for a week come the end of June, but it'll be with a five weight (fly rod) not a five spot .
    The pewter really changes depending on the light. Sometimes it looks silver, sometimes gray, and sometimes it has a purple tint to it. A pewter Thomson stem and post would be very sweet. I sent you a PM regarding the fishing.

Baked Alaskan

nice, nice, nice

The pewter really changes depending on the light. Sometimes it looks silver, sometimes gray, and sometimes it has a purple tint to it. A pewter Thomson stem and post would be very sweet.
    I'm thinking my next set of hubs will be King, especially since they're gonna do Maverick hubs. Sweet ride.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

mtbr member
    Nice bike. Those curious horses make me laugh. So you and Charles felt comfortable with the DT rims, your weight and riding conditions notwithstanding? I've heard good things about the DT's, but they're as light as Mavic's latest 717 XC rim so I wasn't sure if they were cut out for typical 5 Spot (or XCE in my case) riding. I'm 170 and have used Mavic 519's with success for a few years now, but would love to try something lighter if it were up to the challenge of heavy duty trail riding.

Another thing that makes me laugh- Laser Hair Removal "Never Shave Again!" advertisements on every page! You'd think they'd could at least confine it to the Racing/Training and Save Some Weight pages.