ROBOTIC RESERVE

Bonking ... not feelin' well My dream just CRACKED!

About six months ago I was looking for a FR bike to replace my Santa Cruz VP-Free. Did a lot of research and found that the Turner Highline was everything I was looking for in a bike. Big and heavy duty and the ability to pedal when needed. So I called up Jerrit in customer service and ordered one directly. Could not have been happier, he spent a lot of time with me and made sure I was really getting what I wanted. After I got my frame I quickly ordered up some parts and began building my dream bike. This included a CCDB and new saint cranks among many other parts.

I was so happy with my bike I even created a log book for all my rides to document my setups and how the bike was feeling on a given trail. So far I only have 12 rides on this bike. Lots of smiles!

This is where things get a little disappointing; I was cleaning my bike today and getting ready for a ride this afternoon and noticed a crack forming near the BB and swing link. See attached photos.

So to make a long story short is there anything that can be done to fix this? Do they have any sort of upgrade program? Or am I up Sh!t creek without a paddle? Iím running low on bike budget and hope I donít need to dish out any more money to fix something like this.

I really hope Turner Bikes can help me on this!

Thanks for any advice
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Captain's Rides
    2008 Turner 5.Spot Raw - Pushed RP23 / Pike 454 U-Turn
    2008 Turner Highline GDO - CCDB / Fox 40

Moosehead
    Call Turner, they'll definitely take care of you.

mtbr member
    Why do people insist on posting all over the boards and whining before they have even communicated with the guys at Turner. I understand people doing it after they speak to a company and feel that they haven't been taken care of but not before. I am yet to hear about anyone getting the short end of the stick from Turner - OP instead of posting here you could have picked up the phone and got an answer before telling us about your lovely log book......

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Yur focked

dude, you no dam well Turner is nown for pore suport. i am shur u hav contakd G and he told u 2 pownd sand. bumr, if u wood tel the sweing cirkl yur siz they mite hav looked on the rak at Turner Bikes to cee if ther was a front tri hangn 2 send out kwik

ROBOTIC RESERVE
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks
    Why do people insist on posting all over the boards and whining before they have even communicated with the guys at Turner. I understand people doing it after they speak to a company and feel that they haven't been taken care of but not before. I am yet to hear about anyone getting the short end of the stick from Turner - OP instead of posting here you could have picked up the phone and got an answer before telling us about your lovely log book......
    Left a message with their warranty department earlier today. Currently waiting for a call back; figured posting this might help settle my mind while I wait.
    Captain's Rides

Outcast
    Yup, yer focked. Turner only warranties a frame IF you call them first. Oh well.
    DT, it hurt my head to try and read you post!

Moosehead
    bada bing! service with a smile.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Snakebite
    Left a message with their warranty department earlier today. Currently waiting for a call back; figured posting this might help settle my mind while I wait.
    Some people are so fragile and impatient.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

hurts me too

I have no idea how the Billy De Beck, the Old Coot and Corn Nuts can write bettrn dat and not get a headache.

Greg is running around SoCal getting last minute stuff for the show. He has not been at his desk much this week with all the stuff going on.

Ride the bike, have fun, sweat lots, if it gets worse stop riding the bike, by all means do not do a huge drop and finish it off, that makes it harder to fix. I cannot remember ever seeing a Highline BB come loose like that, but it's totally fixable.

DT

mtbr member
    send him an ellsworth!! haha
    life is steeper than it looks

Team Sanchez
    Hey Snake, so give us the low down. Post some pics of you hitting it big. 12 rides and a crack like that would indicate a manf. defect, unless you are doing bender sized drops to flat over and over. The Highline can take a serious beating. Mine has been beat like a disobedient polygamous wife for 2 years now with only a couple of broken pivot bolts to show for it. And that is at 220 lbs!
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

No, that's not phonetic
    Ben, are you really riding Crash's old Spot? I cannot believe that thing is still alive.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

ROBOTIC RESERVE
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    I have no idea how the Billy De Beck, the Old Coot and Corn Nuts can write bettrn dat and not get a headache.

Greg is running around SoCal getting last minute stuff for the show. He has not been at his desk much this week with all the stuff going on.

Ride the bike, have fun, sweat lots, if it gets worse stop riding the bike, by all means do not do a huge drop and finish it off, that makes it harder to fix. I cannot remember ever seeing a Highline BB come loose like that, but it's totally fixable.

DT
    Thanks DT for the update. Yeah to be honest I am a little shocked to see this as well. I only use this bike for Noble Canyon, Anderson TT (not hitting any drops there) and La Costa. I am a rather large guy @ 220lbs but very rareley leave the ground. it will help me sleep at night knowing this is fixable

Side note - Sence this is a rare area to get a crack, do you think it can be the powercoat cracking?
    Captain's Rides

ROBOTIC RESERVE
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Hey Snake, so give us the low down. Post some pics of you hitting it big. 12 rides and a crack like that would indicate a manf. defect, unless you are doing bender sized drops to flat over and over. The Highline can take a serious beating. Mine has been beat like a disobedient polygamous wife for 2 years now with only a couple of broken pivot bolts to show for it. And that is at 220 lbs!
    This is about as big as it gets... 15 foot step up's and some rock gardens.
    Captain's Rides

Elitest thrill junkie
    dude, you no dam well Turner is nown for pore suport. i am shur u hav contakd G and he told u 2 pownd sand. bumr, if u wood tel the sweing cirkl yur siz they mite hav looked on the rak at Turner Bikes to cee if ther was a front tri hangn 2 send out kwik
    Best post ever.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Team Sanchez
    You know it Tscheez! It's a 2003! Takes a lickin for sure.

Team Sanchez
    This is about as big as it gets... 15 foot step up's and some rock gardens.
    Interesting. It must have just been a bad weld. Turner will take good care of you. I've seen Highlines taking a serious beating month after month, with little or no consequence. Here's a couple of Highlights from the past....Couple of Naked1 and a couple of me.
    Last edited by El Chingon; 09-17-2009 at 07:33 PM.

Team Sanchez
    Naked1 " There is a crack on my seat stay"
    Greg " Is it polished?"
    Naked1 "Yes." ........
    Greg "I have one being shipped out to you today"

That was my last call in to Turner. CS at its best. Thanks again.

Good times on the Highline!

mtbr member

:-(

I miss the Highline... Had so much fun on those, they really were great with a long fork, ready for the lift park. Never had any interest in climbing with it, but damn, hats off to those who do.

Bandolero

Puff the Magic Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by .Sigurd.
    Some people are so fragile and impatient.
    Checks profile...

Did you recently move from SF to ABQ?
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    Checks profile...

Did you recently move from SF to ABQ?
    No, that's just another smoke screen.

mtbr member

My dream cracked too!

unfortunately, There is nothing DT can do.

Labor Day moto ride get off resulted in a separated shoulder, broken collarbone, slightly bruised hip and about $4K in damage to gear and bike. I'm pretty sure my CTi knee brace kept me from a broken femur as well. My 2-rides-old helmet is now a wall hanger, and my shoulder "pad" on my roost guard split in half. Sorry for the sexy shots, but this is the biggest bruise of my life.
    xray-1.jpg
    Bruise, day 3
    day 3.jpg
    Bruise, day 4
    bruise day 4-1.jpg

6-12 weeks.

Bandolero

Like a Surgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Orangerider
    unfortunately, There is nothing DT can do.

Labor Day moto ride get off resulted in a separated shoulder, broken collarbone, slightly bruised hip and about $4K in damage to gear and bike. I'm pretty sure my CTi knee brace kept me from a broken femur as well. My 2-rides-old helmet is now a wall hanger, and my shoulder "pad" on my roost guard split in half. Sorry for the sexy shots, but this is the biggest bruise of my life.
    6-12 weeks.
    Eye bleach, Turner forum - STAT!

Moosehead
    Staying OT

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    whew. better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    what started as a pretty lame thread has picked up in the last little bit. On posting complaints and other stuff,i have an internal censor, i write ,i read , i then ask if i really want to share this,and does anybody want me to share this, over half the time i hit the "back" button and move on. I vote for trail rash girl whew that's hot.

Team Sanchez
    [QUOTE=notaknob]Eye bleach, Turner forum - STAT!

LMAO!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by herbn
    I vote for trail rash girl whew that's hot.
    Agreed. If I were her, I would have provided the same amount of clothing as in my sexypics.

Percocet eliminates most internal filters. Just ask TA about pain med ramblings.

banned
    Mar 2009
    dude drops what must have been over grand on a bike frame and is clowned (even a lil by DT) for being bummed when it brakes.... NICE!!

This is good enough motivation to never post about an issue and to just sort it out "off line"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks to notaknob and moose!!!

Rolling
    First....

Did you see if you can buff it out?

Bandolero

Just a little bit

Quote Originally Posted by idrivefun
    dude drops what must have been over grand on a bike frame and is clowned (even a lil by DT) for being bummed when it brakes.... NICE!!

This is good enough motivation to never post about an issue and to just sort it out "off line"
    The OP:
    • has a post count of > 500
    • has posted in the Turner Forum before
    • has a Spot and a Highline
    • is a big boy and can hold his own

tardcore
    Thanks for the eyewash, I needed that.

Lay off the Levers
    The OP:
    • What's your excuse?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

ROBOTIC RESERVE
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    • What's your excuse?
    Wow this post got way out of hand.

I never would have thought this would have turned into a bash fest or just a lame thread for what i thought was a reasonable question..

Knowing this is a good forum to post, I was only looking for a little reassurance while I wait... We all know waiting sucks when you don't know what the outcome is going to be.

Just a follow up...Greg got back to me today and said the frame is totally fixable and will be welded up after they get back from Las Vegas.

I'm more then happy with the service Turner provided and am excited to see the results.

One of the main factors of buying a Turner frame was the customer service and quality of product.

So thanks to the guys at Turner for the help so far, and no hard feelings for poking a little fun at my original post.

As for the guys posting "Biker Chicks"....Thanks for making this post NS4W.
    Captain's Rides

banned
    The OP:
    • IS A FOCKING IMPATIENT DRAMA QUEEN ATTENTION WHORE WHINER
    Fixed.

ROBOTIC RESERVE
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Rearden.
    Fixed.
    Thanks dude!
    Captain's Rides

Lay off the Levers
    Awww that was a joke hence the smiley. (and wasn't directed at you but the rather the guy who came (late) to your defense.
    Yeah, waiting sucks. I actually started to post exactly that a day or two ago and then used the herbn method, (which I actually use frequently) and let it go.

I totally understand your anxiety finding a break in your fairly new frame. The dealyo is give the mfgr first cut then post your experience. It's considerate to the mfgr and cuts down on the snappy replies in the forum. But that's been pointed out ad-nasuem so ignore me.

Y're alright in my book dude. Sorry you had to deal with a failure. Hope you get it sorted quickly. I dig my Highline most intensely so I feel ya.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    can we get back to girly pics now?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    on a more serious technical side ,i noticed that, closer to the bottom bracket ,where the frame didn't crack, the weld appears to be further over on the cnc'd billet part ,in the area of the crack it swerves to the left/more onto the tubing,percocet inspired weldingor friday frame, not an obvious screwup but apparently a bit of a flaw, a case in point for wuarentee coverage.Shouldn't really have gone straight online with it, but oh well, as long as the thread eventually gets around to "turner hooked me up,great cs" turners reputation shouldn't be tarnished, any further.

I think I need to Upgrade

I never would have thought this would have turned into a bash fest or just a lame thread for what i thought was a reasonable question..

Knowing this is a good forum to post, I was only looking for a little reassurance while I wait... We all know waiting sucks when you don't know what the outcome is going to be.

Just a follow up...Greg got back to me today and said the frame is totally fixable and will be welded up after they get back from Las Vegas.

We poke fun and laugh at each other round these parts. It just so happens that Dave got here early (he is usualy late) and was able to get in the first couple of pokes ! Now don't worry your perty little mouth, you will be well taken care of !

mtbr member
    I ride my Flux harder than that you Pu##ies.

Just kidding Greg.

ROBOTIC RESERVE
    Update...Its been a long month, but I think my frame should be back from the Re-weld and new powder coat tomorrow. Im looking forward to seeing it again, I miss my baby!

I will post photos once she is back together...I got some new parts too!
    Captain's Rides

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Yep

Turners have a long history of cracking and breaking. Luckily, they tend to warranty them no questions asked and their customer services is freaking awesome.

Moosehead
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Homers have a long history of riding the living sheit outta their horses. I have a long history of whining and trolling. Turner aggressively warrantys their bikes no questions asked and their customer services is freaking awesome.

It's beyond me why anyone would buy a cheaper, more fragile, under performing bike with crappy customer service. Oh wait.....
    fixed

Mt Wilson Motoboy

Hey! DT got an iPhone!

Either that or he's had a stroke.
    "My people are the people of the dessert!"
    said T.E. Lawrence picking up his fork...

Members who have read this thread: 0