Turner Homer

Muddy Burnner-I mean very muddy...

Hay guys, we here in N.Y. are haveing a nice warm spell, and last night we got about a inch worth of rain, and this got rid of any snow that still remained. So i decided to go for a ride, becasue any other ride that I have done lately, the trails have been covered with snow. But there was one thing. You all know what warm temps and snow melting and rain equal. Mud!!! It was very muddy as you could see on my bike, and I did one lap on the whole trail which is about 7 to 8 miles togeather. So after doing one lap, I wanted to do another lap, so I started to do it and about 2 miles in I started to get major chain stuck, so that is when I said I better pull the plug on this ride so I don't hurt the bike so I did and i reallly wanted to do another lap, but I would rather not hurt the bike and it's components. So all in all it was a good ride, and hopefully the trails will dry out more. Sorry no ride pics, just dirty bike pics. You guys are also welcome to post pics of your muddy turners. Enjoy
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    That's it? That's what my bike looks like after a dry run in the summer.

Wanker

Turner Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    That's it? That's what my bike looks like after a dry run in the summer.

Wanker
    Damm you must have some wet or dusty trails in the summer.
    Dave

Leash Law Enforcer
    I have to agree with JC on this one. I've been on one downhill ride where the wheels just stopped moving there is so much mud built up on the fork, seat stay and chain stay. It takes a lot of mud to stop your wheels on a downhill run. Won't ever forget that ride!

banned
    This was after a sub freezing night ride, complete with lots of standing water on the trails and stream crossings. Mind you, that is not really mud, but ice with some dirt suspended in it. The derailleurs were locked solid.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    its still cool that ya got out there despite all the mudding of yer story. pun totally intended.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Fragile

Muddy Buddy

They look better when they are muddy! I just try to keep the drive train clean during the muddy winter. As for the frame, it always seems like just about the time I need to hose it off, I will ride in really heavy rain that will get it pretty clean.
    "It's easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat; but the man worth while, is the man who can smile, when his shorts are too tight in the seat.'"

-- Judge Smails

i gotta ask. who does the floors in yer house? my guess is the wife watches and simply shakes her head as you toil away hour after hour. hehe.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Fragile
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    i gotta ask. who does the floors in yer house? my guess is the wife watches and simply shakes her head as you toil away hour after hour. hehe.
    He he. . .Actually, I am usually the one to do the floors. They don't get as dirty as you might think. My girlfriend does not care, it's her blue Santa Cruz in the background. . .and it's almost as muddy as my Burner. She knows the garage is not an option since we had some of out other locked-up bikes stolen out of the garage (with video surveillance even!)

I don't wrench much because I travel for work. When I am home, I want to ride. . .so I generally take my bikes to the shop for anything beyond a brake pad job -- and I do that in the garage.
    "It's easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat; but the man worth while, is the man who can smile, when his shorts are too tight in the seat.'"

-- Judge Smails

Turner Homer
    Keep em coming. Yeah, Iknow how the ice mud is, I think you have me beat. It sucks, and I have to put the bike in the back of my jeep, because I have no bike rack, and when the ice thaws out in the back of the jeep there is usually a muddy wet mess back there. Winter is fun. In the summer at least I have my ranchero's bed to put the dirty bikes in.
    Dave

gnuH

NZ Mud

Apologies for the poor quality

please clean the dead bird out of yer der before ya post yer next pic. hehe.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Turner Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    its still cool that ya got out there despite all the mudding of yer story. pun totally intended.
    Thanks, and I am happy now my bike is all clean after a lot of messy work cleaning. It will probaby be back to the state it was in after saturday. Also thank you all for not being wet trail nazi's to all of us in this form who posted a muddy bike pic. Here is a pic of my summer's ride's ride. Only 2 more months before it comes out of storage. Sigh.
    Last edited by dtrek4500; 01-12-2006 at 09:10 PM.

i want spring!

El Camino

Quote Originally Posted by dtrek4500
    Here is a pic of my summer's ride's ride. Only 2 more months before it comes out of storage. Sigh.

El Camino... the mullet of cars.

Db
    Check out all these mountain biking t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts by Trail Hog today!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Biginners one and all

Did a race on the Flux a while back and it rained the night before. Route was 50km on sticky clay mud followed by a nice flat finish over a recently mowed grass field. I could have built an entire house with the stuff that came off the bike after the wash.

mtbr member
    And I felt I had quite a bit of seatpost exposure!

When I see Kiwirider's pic, it reminds me of the exact thick-paste mud in which I broke a rear der. in the middle of nowhere....slush mud is harmful for transmition but is not so much of a PITA.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

My cup runneth over
    This was a winter day that I stayed out 10 minutes too late on (I try to avoid bringing the trail home with me). Most of the ride was frozen and cool but a fast defrost happened in the last mile and this was the result...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidder
    Did a race on the Flux a while back and it rained the night before. Route was 50km on sticky clay mud followed by a nice flat finish over a recently mowed grass field. I could have built an entire house with the stuff that came off the bike after the wash.
    Chia Flux?
    Last edited by Jerk_Chicken; 01-13-2006 at 09:39 AM.

Freshly Fujified

Ya know...it's funny

We all know our bikes get muddy, and we think it's great that they get muddy. After all, they're mountain bikes, right? I would venture to guess that nobody with a muddy bike is going to fess up that they were probably riding their bikes in conditions that they shouldn't be riding in. I'm by no means pointing a finger, as we've all ridden in conditions that aren't ideal, so please take my comments in the spirit I offer them. We've had quite a debate in another forum regarding riding in conditions detrimental to the trails (i.e muddy trails). If some of the posters from that thread were to see these bikes, my suspicion is that they'd want people drawn and quartered. Is there a happy medium?

Not looking to hijack the thread, just offering up some food for thought.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

banned
    Well, when my bike comes back muddy, how about the thought that most of the trails are in good condition, while some small, isolated spots that can't be avoided are the ones bearing all the mud?

How about the service/fireroads while the trails actually have good drainage? Don't think one sided.

Freshly Fujified

Point taken

Well, when my bike comes back muddy, how about the thought that most of the trails are in good condition, while some small, isolated spots that can't be avoided are the ones bearing all the mud?

How about the service/fireroads while the trails actually have good drainage? Don't think one sided.
    And again, not looking to do anything but give food for thought.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

banned
    And I did just the same for you.

mtbr member

Here's my mud shot

from Snowshoe resort in WV. The rain had stopped and the runs opened back up so out we went.

Clem

rr
    I don't do PC
    No muddy pics, sorry, it hasn't snowed or rained hardly at all this winter, which is good for riding though!

Hey Mountain Smith, your swinger shock looks stuck down in that second shot of your bike, time for an RP3

Turner Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bert
    El Camino... the mullet of cars.

Db
    It is actually a 72 ranchero, but you still do think of a person with a mullet from the 80's driving one. BTW I have no mullet

mtbr member
    It is actually a 72 ranchero, but you still do think of a person with a mullet from the 80's driving one. BTW I have no mullet
    OT: Nice ride. I totally dig older Racheros. Here is a buddy of mine's:

Turner Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by grtpmkn
    OT: Nice ride. I totally dig older Racheros. Here is a buddy of mine's:
    Oh man now that is a nice ranchero, the funny thing is I used to hate the overall look of el camenos and ranchero's but now owning one I love them to death. What motor is in there, I have a 351 cleveland in mine. Is that a 71? Or am I way off?
    Dave

Gravity Rides Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    We all know our bikes get muddy, and we think it's great that they get muddy. After all, they're mountain bikes, right? I would venture to guess that nobody with a muddy bike is going to fess up that they were probably riding their bikes in conditions that they shouldn't be riding in. I'm by no means pointing a finger, as we've all ridden in conditions that aren't ideal, so please take my comments in the spirit I offer them. We've had quite a debate in another forum regarding riding in conditions detrimental to the trails (i.e muddy trails). If some of the posters from that thread were to see these bikes, my suspicion is that they'd want people drawn and quartered. Is there a happy medium?

Not looking to hijack the thread, just offering up some food for thought.

Bob

yeah riding in mud is worse than clearcutting forests.

let us enjoy this brief thaw guilt free. there's hardly any bike traffic in mud that bad.

Turner Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by endurowanker
    yeah riding in mud is worse than clearcutting forests.

let us enjoy this brief thaw guilt free. there's hardly any bike traffic in mud that bad.
    Yeah what endurowanker just said is true, becasue one the trail that I rode my bike on in this pic is a trail that is mostly privite and I know the guy who owns it and I am friends with him, and two it is the winter season here in upstate ny, and let me tell you not that many people mountain bike in the winter especially on this privite low traffic even in the summer trail. Let me mention, only a certain number of people know of this trails existance.
    Dave

mtbr member
    Oh man now that is a nice ranchero, the funny thing is I used to hate the overall look of el camenos and ranchero's but now owning one I love them to death. What motor is in there, I have a 351 cleveland in mine. Is that a 71? Or am I way off?
    Dave
    It is a '70 and has a real Torino Cobra grill and aftermarket "boss replica" front spoiler. The motor is a 302-2 barrel with an auto behind it. I think the 17" slotted mags scream "modern meets retro". It is basically a driver in his eyes. He is a Torino freak and has had many '70-'71 models over the years.

Turner Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by grtpmkn
    It is a '70 and has a real Torino Cobra grill and aftermarket "boss replica" front spoiler. The motor is a 302-2 barrel with an auto behind it. I think the 17" slotted mags scream "modern meets retro". It is basically a driver in his eyes. He is a Torino freak and has had many '70-'71 models over the years.
    Tell him that is a nice ranchero he has there. I had a feeling it was either a 70 or 71.
    Dave

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Chia Flux?
    Sorry, being dumb here. What's that ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    hey dave were in upstate are you? I am from the lake george area. Are you any were around that?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Mud? That's not proper mud at all. Let me give you some representative samples from the UK. None of them are me but I feel their pain.

That last photo is taken in August !

Leave the house a human being, return a swamp thing with a shopping list for an entire new drive train

Turner Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex-Leigh
    Mud? That's not proper mud at all. Let me give you some representative samples from the UK. None of them are me but I feel their pain.

That last photo is taken in August !

Leave the house a human being, return a swamp thing with a shopping list for an entire new drive train
    Damm, I think you all have us all beat. You uk guys seem like you get some serous mud. All props to you. That muddy water, and going for a swim couldn't be good for you or the bike.
    Dave

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Damm, I think you all have us all beat. You uk guys seem like you get some serous mud. All props to you. That muddy water, and going for a swim couldn't be good for you or the bike.
    Dave
    That's my friend Jay. After he fell off the first time, I made him go and lie down in that puddle so I could get a picture! Actually that's pretty unrepresenative of the peak district (north ish of england, quite rocky), it's was just a very wet week and they are also 4x4 tracks. Where I live tho in the South, we are on clay and in the winter it is just horrid for months on end.

Your choice is to

a. Buy a share in a bike shop
    b. Buy a singlespeed
    c. Hibernate
    d. Do something else instead

I choose option (d)! And it means I get to buy a new bike for messing about. Not taking the turner out in the gloop. It takes AGES to clean

mtbr member
    I always wash my bike while the mud is still fresh and wet. It is soooo hard on a bike to let it dry and wash it later.

what a joke
    I see your mud and raise you.

Thats a 2.35 Nevegal on the rear.

blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder
    I see your mud and raise you.

Thats a 2.35 Nevegal on the rear.

Yeah, now we're talking!

That's exactly the king of pasty derailleur-breaking mud I was talking about.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004

Mud, mud glorious mud...

Here's a gloopy pic from this Saturdays muddy ride around the Bedfordshire(UK) country side. Mud is hard work.

Thank goodness we were on Turners

Clicky here for more info. The more eagle eyed amongst you will id this as clogged up Flux but I didn't do any better on a 5Spot.
    Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields

Now with 3 more inches!
    I'm originally from the UK, and can't honestly remember a ride there that wasn't muddy.

Here's one of me after sampling some Oaxacan chocolate fudge last summer (sorry, it's my old frame, not my burner). Those are 2.1 blue grooves under there somewhere.

banned

New question here.

Is that a Turner built Specialized badged hardtail?

Now with 3 more inches!
    I'll refer you to the parentheses in my previous post. I wish I'd had the Burner for that trip.

Turner Homer
    It's all good, I will let this one pass. About the uk type mud, last week when the temps hit in the 60's, I encountered mud like you posted in the pic. Let me tell you, that type of mud is kind of worse than riding in deep snow.
    Dave

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdog
    I'm originally from the UK, and can't honestly remember a ride there that wasn't muddy.

Here's one of me after sampling some Oaxacan chocolate fudge last summer (sorry, it's my old frame, not my burner). Those are 2.1 blue grooves under there somewhere.

I lived in the UK for 4 years and remember the same thing. I was showing a person a picture of my wife and I on our bikes at the Henley boat races. We were covered in mud in our winter bike gear. The funny thing was the Henley boat races are in July...

Nothing here
    My wheels stopped spinning on this ride. It was ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Some mud shots...

Notice the motion blur on the rear wheel

Hm, I seem to have taken the really muddy stuff off the Internet and don't have 'em on my laptop. Oh well.
    Regards,
    /Tobbe - In Mud We Thrust / Carpe Diem

Members who have read this thread: 0