mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Mr. and Mrs. nybike1971 Hall Ranch gifs

Since I've got time to sit at my desk and feel sorry for myself I thought I'd make good use of my downtime and learn how to do animated .gifs. Thanks to Bikezilla for his tips---a guy could never just stumble across the right workflow in Photoshop Elements hit or miss, in no way is it intuitive.

I find that .gifs don't really work if you speed up the natural fps continuous shooting of the camera. So if these seem a little slow it's because my SD880 (great little camera) has a 1.1 fps burst mode and I set these at 1 per second. I have other cameras that shoot 2-3 fps but not with me that day.

The first is Jen coming down a section I'll probably never ride again. S-Works has pics of his own self cleaning this up.

Luca will be the first to say that these pics don't do the difficulty of the Rock Garden at Hall justice. But then, maybe he didn't think any of it was hard, him coming from the rocky chunk from back east.

At the very least it's steeper than it looks, so all crux moves are always done while having to maintain momentum while climbing. Here's one of the few times things didn't work out as planned. Trying to skirt the rocks just before big push...well....

But, like they say, the second time's the charm.

Last edited by xcguy; 09-02-2009 at 12:58 PM.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

While I'm on a roll

This one is an experiment. I used 18 pics which makes the file too large unless I dial down a bunch of parameters, which I did. Let's see if it looks OK. This is a section I've only cleaned twice. Luca made it look easy. Further proof that I suck! It's like any section: when someone just cruises through it it looks like a piece of cake...but this one surely isn't.

Moosehead
    cool sequencing xcg. hall rocks.

hope you heal fast.

Lay off the Levers
    Nice gifs XCG! Glad you worked it out.
    I'd love to hit those lines!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Thanks, xcguy, those gifs are great! Jen will be psyched when she sees her sequence.

For the Northeasters here, I'd say that the moves are comparable in difficulty to many of the rockgardens on My Favorite Trail and the "long" climb on Monster at Blue Mountain (after riding in Colorado I use "long" to describe a climb around here only in quotes ).

Hall is definitely a really fun trail with a big cardio factor between the climbing and the tech moves. And a whole lotta fun back on the way back down!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    And any given "problem" area has multiple lines. You could ride the same area differently every time. Of course, some lines reveal themselves to be "easier" but seeing a line and actually hitting it like you planned are two different things.

Members who have read this thread: 0