More from Utah, xcguy style- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

More from Utah, xcguy style

Me and my Turner went down to Utah about the same time as tscheezy did. My Turner shot glass, that is. I'm still not ready to be back on the bike but there's plenty of hiking to be done. Co-incidentally, hiking in areas that should be seen and bikes aren't allowed, so it was all good.

Basic itinerary was Moab south to the Needles Overlook/Anticline Overlook, midway to Montecello. Then down into the Needles District of Canyonlands. Then west of Blanding to Natural Bridges National Monument and the Grand Gulch area of Cedar Mesa.

So much to see and hike. And so many pics I brought back. Here's just a few, in no particular order.
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 10:49 AM.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I made it a point to pull over whenever I saw a scene where the light was just right. "Little puffy clouds" were everywhere casting cool shadows and light everywhere.

It was a treat seeing that pair of pronghorn next to the road. That was my third time ever. First was up in Wyoming, second was in the same area as this pic. Both other times they were racing along at about 45mph next to my truck. This time they sort of posed for me...for awhile.

I was staying at Squaw Flat campground at Needles. It rained like a sumb!tch for a few hours, then cleared. I went out for a hike up on the rock. I was out for two hours and on my return, there was still just my tracks in the dirt.

Team Blindspot
    You sir, have too much time on your hands. Nice work!

BTW: if you use a polarizing filter on the second to last shot, you won't have a problem with reflections off the glass.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    More. I drove through a snowstorm to get to Utah, I drove through a snowstorm on the way back. While I was there it was paradise. Been doing these trips for 20 years and never get tired of it.

No, that's not phonetic
    The Needles District is one of the coolest places I have ever been. If we hadn't absolutely killed ourselves with a 25-mile hike in Grand Gulch the day before, we would have knocked out a big lap to Druid Arch through Chesler Park et al. from Squaw Flats. That place is amazing. Instead we did a recovery ride on Tusher.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    The Needles District is one of the coolest places I have ever been. If we hadn't absolutely killed ourselves with a 25-mile hike in Grand Gulch the day before, we would have knocked out a big lap to Druid Arch through Chesler Park et al. from Squaw Flats. That place is amazing. Instead we did a recovery ride on Tusher.
    Yeah, Druid is probably my favorite hike there, among all my favorite hikes. And it's not an easy one. It's crazy you were in the same area as me at roughly the same time. It's tough to properly describe the Needles area, even with a ton of pics. As I drove in from Indian Creek my reaction was (as it always is) I'm driving into freakin' Disneyland. Nothing can look this fantastical, can it?

What vehicle were you driving? I might have a pic of it in the parking lot at the ranger station!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I just noticed, the pic of the big round orange lichen sure looks like a world map of Europe/England/Africa/Asia...freaky.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    It's funny that they tell you that this is a good "photo area". Makes me wonder if folks from Nedraska and Kansas drive around looking for these signs so that they can take photos.

Also, that is a super pimp shot glass. Does it perform on the small, square edged stuff? or is it more just for high speed chunk and drops?
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I've got a feeling my shot glass broke on a tough drop a while ago

illiterate or intoxicated
    Very nice images.

Have shot glass - will travel.

Was the glass well used?
    "One often finds their destiny on the road taken to avoid it" - Master Ugway

Proud bike-o-holic
    you have a lot of photo skills!
    wow!!

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    I've got a feeling my shot glass broke on a tough drop a while ago

This One?? Bummer
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Great pics - excellent execution of some killer ideas/perspectives with a camera in capable hands!

Brass Nipples!
    Very nice.

The nails in the ladder prove the Anasazi were more advanced than previously thought.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Rolling
    wow, you defined your own style.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks everybody for your comments. I really tried to do different stuff this time, using different techniques (like exposure blending and HDR). I even carried a fairly heavy tripod back to different views and set up, waiting for the right light, just like you see those guys on the side of the road focusing in down on some blooming cactus.

Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. I had two great point and shoots with me (Canon SD880 and a Panasonic TZ5) with which I've taken some nice shots in the past but I didn't use them once. If I'd been riding I would have taken them for sure. As it is I took most of my shots with my Nikon DSLRs. I worked on these pics on my "photo computer" and I have to say looking at some them on this computer/monitor some came out kinda dark. Wish I could replace them with brightened up versions, oh well.

Funny how some of the best ones came from just spur-of-the-moment turning around and snapping a pic when the shadows/light were just right, maybe a 3 second commitment. Others where I set up and took my time sucked. Go figure. I learned a lot this trip.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Wow!!!

Those just may be the sweetest photo's I've ever seen..Well done xcguy.........CF.

mtbr member
    Great part of the world and great pics xc

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

shooter!

Wow, those are some great shots XC! Stunning.

DT

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    Wow, those are some great shots XC! Stunning.

DT
    Thanks, Dave, glad you liked them.

mtbr member
    Very very nice shots, xcguy! Good on you to carry a tripod in those places. It looks like it paid off in spades. I hope your shoulder is steadily improving and that you'll be able to ride again soon.

Took a whirlwind trip to CO on Easter weekend but was there for only three days of visiting friends and playing. We ended up skiing at A-Basin for two days and riding in Pueblo for the remaining day. Always a good time. Next time I am around,hopefully we'll be able to go for a spin together!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

A few more for ya viewing pleasure

Thanks, Luca. I'm diggin' being able to put on a shirt using my left arm and occasionally sleeping on my left side. I'm about 80% in the gym. I probably could ride at this point but it's mostly mental. I like feeling uninjured. Hiking is in no way/shape/form a mountain biking substitute but it beats vegging on the couch. And, a bonus to hiking is I never would have been in the specific areas as these pics to even capture them.

Speaking of tripods: of these next four, one was on a tripod, one was handheld with a couple of Indian trinket dealers behind me hawking their wares (top of Moki Dugway looking south and southeast) the one of the backside of the bridge you've already seen I was leaning out over that pool with my D90 out even farther (nothing to hold on to) hoping I was lining up my lens properly. And the last one I shot through the side window of my vehicle heading to the road cut through Comb Ridge.

I'm an equal opportunity shooter.

My cup runneth over
    I'm kinda speechless on some of those shots. Many frameables there. Thanks for sharing. We need to get you back on a bike ASAP though - are you fully recovered?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    I'm kinda speechless on some of those shots. Many frameables there. Thanks for sharing. We need to get you back on a bike ASAP though - are you fully recovered?
    Thanks for your comments. I told myself last October I wasn't going to get back in the saddle 'till I felt 100% and that includes mentally.

I've been lifting in a gym most of my life and use what I can do there as a sort of benchmark for my progress. A few days ago I tried pushing some weight straight overhead as a test. First time trying that since last summer. I could do the complete motion overhead without anything catching in there and it hurt just a little bit. Progress!

I dream about riding, though!

mtbr member
    Wow

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    really impresive !!! what is the best season to go there ??
    Just for hikking or for bike riding ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by biker231
    really impresive !!! what is the best season to go there ??
    Just for hiking or for bike riding ?
    Is there bike riding there you ask? Dunno, ask tscheezy:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=611861

Members who have read this thread: 0