Thread: More Goat Camp

banned
    Sep 2005
    Oh, the memories.

5Spot Rider: So how was the overall experience on the DW at GC?

gravity curmudgeon
    I really look forward to riding GC one of these days, although I can say with certainty that I wouldn't want to ride that stuff day in and day out. That just looks like an a$$ kicker for bike and body parts. The main thing that strikes me is how sustained the chunk is. Working over iconic switchbacks and rock-a-junk is one thing; that continuous random scramble of rocks and cacti that you call a trail is another.

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdog
    I really look forward to riding GC one of these days, although I can say with certainty that I wouldn't want to ride that stuff day in and day out. That just looks like an a$$ kicker for bike and body parts. The main thing that strikes me is how sustained the chunk is. Working over iconic switchbacks and rock-a-junk is one thing; that continuous random scramble of rocks and cacti that you call a trail is another.

Sadly, the trail is getting beat in by all of the hikers. With the growth of the city westward, it has taken it's toll.

You decide to come out, look me up, I am only a dick online
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Oh, the memories.

5Spot Rider: So how was the overall experience on the DW at GC?
    It was good. I felt a little over matched on the first 1/4 mile because of the very steep looseness. Some extra slack would have been welcome. Spiral staircase is sick, dropped mans line a few times and finally cleaned it top to bottom with help from ladies line (still quite manly). Continuously bashed the crap out of my big ring coming over the very top of staircase - its big. The stretch in between staircase and jackhammer is some of the best big stuff I have ridden - was a blast and the Spot felt right at home on it. Then there's jackhammer - I tried it one too many times, got thrown and rotated my ankle (not on video). I should have been content with the one time I did make it - it just wasn't as clean as I would have liked. Jackhammer literally felt like it was breaking my bike and the rear wheel was getting jacked pretty bad (think wild bucking bronco) - we may have found a Spots limit (with 32mm fork) for low speed super chunk. As you know the video doesn't do much of this stuff justice. Overall it's a humbling place but good stuff - I'd go back tomorrow! Oh and I'd bring armor too.

Thanks tiSSer for a great weekend in Phoenix.

gravity curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    I am only a dick online
    Hey, me too! Hehe.

I have some developing collaborative projects with people at UA and should be getting down that way more regularly. I haven't been on the trails of South Mountain and related for about 20 years. Back then we did it the old fashioned way. We road our bikes to trailheads and then hiked!

striker!
    Good stuff. I got to get me some of that GC ....

S

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by superstock
    Good stuff. I got to get me some of that GC ....

S

You won't like it
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

Members who have read this thread: 0