More Fork???- Mtbr.com

Thread: More Fork???

mtbr member
    May 2008

More Fork???

I have a '04 5 Spot (HL), with a CCDB (ti spring) and Pace RC40XCAM (100 to 130mm travel) fork. I have just returned from my first trip to the Alps feeling that I was a bit under forked. I'm wondering whether a Fox36 TALAS would be a good choice, or if the new 150mm Fox 32 Talas might be a better bet? I'm also looking at the new Magura Thor or RS Rev. I'm interested to know if the 36 set to 130mm rides OK on singletrack (any idea on axle/crown at this setting?) and whether at 160mm it DH's significantly better.

I would appreciate your thought, particularly if you have any experience with my choices, or any better suggestions.

I like moderately agressive XC, but not too much air.

This is my first posting so apologies if this subject has been covered before.

mtbr member
    The search function is your friend! Lot's of people like 36s on Spots. I recommend a pike for perfect balance between climbing, descending and techy singletrack - and no need to mess with travel adjust. I love the maxle too. Thru axles really help when descending steep techy stuff. The 150mm 32 will require a PITA 15mm hub won't it?

mtbr member
    Pike. Sorted.

I used to run a Pike on my hardtail, then got all weight weenie and swapped it for a Pace RC41 XCAM (with the bolt through). The Pace is OK, but it ain't a Pike... I know a few people who run them on 'spots and they seem to suit the frame very well.

Xpy
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Pike. Ace.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Fox 36 Talas...I know is just so much better than any of the 32s...for me.

trail fairy
    Im getting a headache, most asked question on this board, look through the data bases there's a reason why some or one fork is tops and so popular, similar trend happens on the Ventana board but those that know have it dialled.

The Spot works best when its balanced there's not been a better package, dia alone means squat, Im a big guy, Ive owned 888s, 66s, ridden 36s, it all comes down to balance and setup on any rig! Period not how big your stauncions are....

Sleep time, Ive stirred enough today
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

not so super...
    36 Talas
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    If you already have a burly coil shock on your Spot I woud strongly consider a 36 Talas. The axle to crown length at 130mm is identical to the Pike at 140mm and at 160mm will definitely give you an edge on the steeps.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Many thanks for all you input, it's certainly helped with the decision process.

Will input my bike onto the database when I get a chance to take a couple of decent photos.

bump and grind
    Will a 160mm VAn 36 be too much fork for a spot? I'm thinking of transferring my existing fork to a new spot coming in. I noticed that almost everyone says that the spot should be run at 130 (talas 36) or 140 (pike) for balance.

not so super...
    The Talas is a better choice - that way you can run 130mm (at the recommended A2C) then jack it up to 160mm for the steep stuff.
    Nothing to see here.

Members who have read this thread: 0