mtbr member
    May 2006

Monarch 4.2 in a HL spot?

I am thinking about replacing my DHX Air with a Monarch 4.2 in my '05 5Spot.
    Contrary to most riders I found the DHX A working not too bad, but maybe this is due to my weight (70kg geared up), that my spot still has the original 5.1 rockers and I prefer a rather plush ride.

Since I have already ordered the 5.5 rockers and my DHX A needs a full service I thougt about replacing it. I could get a monarch 4.2 HV tune C very cheap at the moment.

I have read very differnet opinions about the monarch. Some say it matches or even outperforms a RP23, others find it not as subtle.

Any experience with this shock or thoughts about this swap?

Outcast
    I have one in my stable of shocks, used it on my spot with 5.5 rockers. I liked it better than a stock RP3, but not better than my Pushed RP3, once that was properly shimmed for me. I certainly like the monarch better than the dhx-air I had years ago, if that helps.
    The pedaling platform on the monarch offers you more tuning than the rp3, IMO.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've been riding a Monarch 4.2 B tune with a High Volume air can for about a year on my Spot (with 5 inch rockers). I also like my bikes quite plush. Not a big fan of ProPedal/ SPV, so I really am enjoying the RockShox. Also quite easy to service if you are that way inclined...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks guys, sounds like I should give it a try.
    The only thing that still worries me a bit is the c tune of the monarch I have been offered.
    I am not sure if this is too much dampening for the spot frame combined with my weight.

Is it possible to re-shim the monarch, and if so, are the parts available at a normal rock shox dealer?

mtbr member

How about the RS MCS 3.3 ?

I also had an offer for a cheap Rock Shox MCS 3.3. Any experience with this rear shock for the SPOT?

Thanks!

got the dhr...
    No experience with a monarch on a spot. However, my friends little brother has a SC heckler with one on it. The shock is pretty cheap feeling to me. His lockout thing stopped working after about a week on the bike. his constantly has problems. I think he may have a dud, but all I know, is that it feels like complete crap. The dhx feels way better imo, not to mention an rp2. But, if you want to give it a shot, i say go for it. Im convinced his is a dud after reading the above comments... oh, and sram has amazing customer service. they're super lazy, so they'd rather just completely replace your part, than fix it. and that is what i have found them to do.