Brass Nipples!

Moab Homer Trip Tires: Dream Big

I'm going to be building up a middleweight "Garanimals" wheelset for my 6 Pack with blue CK hubs that match my headset and DT 5.1 rims (Thanks to gonzostrike for the nomenclature). I'll be using my current WTB Weirwolf 2.5 and Motoraptor 2.4 on the new set. I like those tires for most rides I do in the St. George area, but they are on the light side for their size.

I'll then have a heavyweight WTB Laserdisc DH wheelset for my febile attempts at going bigger. What tires do you all recommend for the heavy wheelset? I'll be using them on Saturday on our Hazard County ride and I'll have the other set for less harsh terrain so I won't have to drag boat anchors on climbing days.

Thanks
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

No, that's not phonetic
    Tioga Factory DH 2.3R on the back ($20 at Pricepoint)

Kenda Blue Groove 2.5 Stick-e in the front.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Team Sanchez
    That's an easy one Bob. Go with a 2.5 Nevy up front in the single ply, and a 2.5 Maxxis highroller in the rear in the two ply. I"ve been running the highroller on my Brianhead and Deer Valley trips, and it's my favorite new rear tire for the Gnar.

Hisforever
    2nd the Nevegals...
    Jesus Saves

Pipedream Moxie
    Spot Mayhem
    Orbea Rallon
    Transition Sentinel
    Evil Undead
    Yz 250

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Not to say there is anything wrong with the above recs, but with the luxury of two quickly and easily interchangable wheelsets, I'd definitely put Panaracer FR 2.4's on the beefy wheelset. Tough, gnarly looking, cheap, and not too heavy (but kinda slow in back).

For rock work, the Kendas in StickE rubber can't be beat. The rock traction they offer makes heroes out of mere mortals!
    Whining is not a strategy.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I ran the Fire FR 2.4 up front and the Tioga DH 2.3 in the back last spring in Moab, nice combo and traction, I've heard some folks say the Fire FR isn't good in rocks but I ride a lot of rocky terrain and I really like the tire, it doesn't hold up to DH abuse, pinch flatted twice at Keystone but thats the only place I've had a flat with it.

TS- thanks for the pricepoint info, I will order another Tioga DH for the homer gathering.

Members who have read this thread: 0