Mixing Shimano And Race Face Rings?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Mixing Shimano And Race Face Rings?

I know this probably belongs on another board, but the Homers always seem to be so doggone helpful I thought my question would get the attention it needed better here. I have a Shimano XT Hollowtech II Crankset and I've managed to mangle the middle chainring awfully bad. I've always had better luck with Race Face Chainrings as far as durability, and I'm wondering if anyone has ever replaced their Shimano middle ring with a Race Face middle ring and if it worked as well as the original setup? I am not planning on replacing the small or big ring so they will remain the original Shimano ones. If I was replacing all of them I would just get a new Race Face group of rings, but at this point the only one that needs replacement is the middle ring. I am concerned that the Race Face ring may not work so well paired with the two other Shimano rings. Thanks for any help!!!

Dan

mtbr member

Me too

I don't run a large ring, but moved up to a 34t raceface ring with a shimano granny. It works fine. I was leary of moving up to a 36 though, cause the guy at the shop said it wouldn't shift right. I'll probaby try it next time though, cause I like to experiment.

later.

mtbr member

I did it

I have a race face middle and shimano XT granny - there was absolutely no noticeable drop in performance plus race face rings are more durable in my opinion...
    Last edited by wilks; 08-07-2005 at 10:07 AM. Reason: fat fingers

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kendogg
    I don't run a large ring, but moved up to a 34t raceface ring with a shimano granny. It works fine. I was leary of moving up to a 36 though, cause the guy at the shop said it wouldn't shift right. I'll probaby try it next time though, cause I like to experiment.

later.

I went to the 36 first and am now with the 34. The 36 shifts just fine but I found that the transition from a 22 was a little too steep (harsh) and would have to make sure to really ease up (more than normal) when shifting. The 34 (raceface) works better for my strenght and terrain and therefore has less cross-chaining than the 36. I also bumped up the granny to a 24 which has taken a little to to adjust but finding it wroks better than the 22 and keeps the chain off the derailer and less chain slap.

Nate

PSI
    I want that one

did it. works fine

i have race face middle ring, the more expensive cnc'd one. works fine with xt crank and small and large rings.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    I think that the problem comes when you run a 3 ring setup. I recall an issue a while ago where someone mixed their chainrings. The problem was that the spacing was off because of the mixed rings. The middle was too close to the big one and caused shifting issues. I think it was Sh!mano with Blackburn, but I am not positive. Just a word of caution, it could work, however.

_MK

mtbr member

Ring thing

Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    I think that the problem comes when you run a 3 ring setup. I recall an issue a while ago where someone mixed their chainrings. The problem was that the spacing was off because of the mixed rings. The middle was too close to the big one and caused shifting issues. I think it was Sh!mano with Blackburn, but I am not positive. Just a word of caution, it could work, however.

_MK

Mix away. I've been inadvertently running a Shimano middle ring between a Tioga granny and a Real 7075 big - installed back to front... Still shifted fine!
    Cheers,

Robbo

Eat my shorts, build a bridge and get over it - Devil

Members who have read this thread: 0