banned

Measuring travel on the DHXc

Does anyone have an ingenious method of monitoring travel on the DHXc without zip-tying the shaft? I would like to be more accurate in setting my bottom out based on the drops I'm doing.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Does anyone have an ingenious method of monitoring travel on the DHXc without zip-tying the shaft?
    ouch! and hows about ya keep yer wierdo personal habits outta here. sicko!

I would like to be more accurate in setting my bottom out based on the drops I'm doing.
    mount a tiny troll, video cam in hand, in a clear waterbottle? yeah, yer right. it would never work. hed sufficate in there. but i jest. if it bottoms yer bound to know it right away. mess with spring and b/o settings till that happens and then tune back up the scale till it goes away. a zippy is a real bad idea as it will get trapped between the bottom out bumper and the seal causin gawd knows what kinda hell on earth.
    No, I'm NOT back!

banned
    I wish Fox would factory install an o-ring on these things. I'd hate to go PUSH just to get an o-ring.

might not be worth it anyway. as i understand it, the bottom out bumper will compress to some degree even before full bottom out is reached thusly givin ya a false reading if a o ring was installed. it would be close but not entirely accurate. probobly close enough though. someone correct me if im wrong.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jerk,

Unfortunately, the only way to measure coil-over stoke is either with Data Aquisiton, or some kind of external contraption. Problem with putting something on the shaft is that it can either score the aluminum shaft, or damage the shaft seal/wiper. Unlike front froks which have SOME headroom at complete bottom out, rear coil-over shocks actually go metal to metal.

Sorry.

banned
    I was hoping to clay the coil, in a Plastiguage manner, but I doubt it will stay, and coils don't compress evenly.

I just got a great idea to measure and it will work. Will post back when I actually make this contraption.

thanx darren. just cuz were talkin bout this, wouldnt a o ring or anything else mounted over the bumper interfier with the stroke of the shaft causin limited travel to some degree?
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    thanx darren. just cuz were talkin bout this, wouldnt a o ring or anything else mounted over the bumper interfier with the stroke of the shaft causin limited travel to some degree?
    yeah, for sure....most likely upon the first few hits the o-ring would become impacted into the bumper anyway.

that sounds uncomfortable. thanx pal.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    hint: use tin foil.

Outcast
    What I've done in the past to set up either front or rear suspension limits as you are trying to do is to set up a jump or drop [ I use a wooden ramp type of jump] that would be either typical of the height and landing you are doing, or would be near the max height you would do. Set up your shock or fork at a starting point. Hit the drop/jump a few times. If you haven't bottomed out, back off on the set-up pressure a bit, try again. Once you get to where it bottoms out on about half of your attempts, you are about there. Add just a couple PSI as a cushion. Beer is helpfull during these data aquisition runs. Don't forget the body armor.

Outcast
    here's another option:
    Send your DHX-coil to push. Pay $245.00. Never have to worry about setting up your shock again. Worth every penny it costs

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    here's another option:
    Send your DHX-coil to push. Pay $245.00. Never have to worry about setting up your shock again. Worth every penny it costs
    Clearly, angling for a discount on your next PUSH product or service!
    Whining is not a strategy.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Clearly, angling for a discount on your next PUSH product or service!
    I try extra hard to sell the products, but I'm afraid I can never be the Master Push-whore that the Squeaky wheel is!

Bodhisattva
    Hey! PUSH-whoring is my job

I try extra hard to sell the products, but I'm afraid I can never be the Master Push-whore that the Squeaky wheel is!
    OK. That's better. Carry on.

Outcast
    Squeak, you are my Idol! Consider me the salesman with the southern territory. I will try but never attain the level of Whorisity that you exude!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I think that shocks need a bottom out beeper.

Forks let you know if they bottom via clunk (marz) or just the impact due to the proximity/direct pathway to your hands.

Shocks on the other hand have the mechanical ratios and such an indirect pathway to sensory organs, that is difficult to sense b/o well.

Maybe higher end shocks would come with custom alarms. Do a big drop and your bike yells 'ouch'!
    The answer is obviously a b/o beeper!!

I have garnered a litle info by sliding the b/o bumper up the shaft and seenig how much it gets moved. Problem is that some bumpers will slide down by themselves, and they obviously take up a fair bit of travel themselves, depending on the stroke of the shock. It can tell you if you are compressing the bumper (getting that far into the travel) FWIW

Members who have read this thread: 0