mtbr member

Mavic hate - pawl spring gone!

Vent.... I hate Mavic freehubs. Two pawls with pissy little springs. Freehub friction unless you loctite the bolt and only lube with a few drops of mineral oil. MAVIC HUBS SUCK.

In pulling apart to service my Flux's Mavic SL freehub the stupid little pawl spring sprung and after two hours of crawling around the floor I can't find it. That's what is making me angry. It is so tiny...

Of course I drive to a race tomorrow... I bet the LBS won't have the little spring and might just have a pawl kit which will be $60 no doubt.

I might have to race Frosty the Spot... Back to sleep now. CA,

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    And all these years I thought losing small parts was MY fault!

Sorry about your hub. Get a big cow magnet and roll it around on the floor for a while. It's amazing what you can find that way.

banned
    It's amazing after all these years people still get Mavic "wheelsystems" and pay such high prices for diminishing returns. Paying those prices, I'd at least want investment parts making them up.

Amphibious Technologies
    $60 will get you a pawl kit and freehub assembly. Pawls are like $15 which include 4 springs.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    $60 will get you a pawl kit and freehub assembly. Pawls are like $15 which include 4 springs.
    Not in Australia...
    That said I am confident if they have one my LBS will hook me up.
    I am about to break out my HID to scan the floor one more time.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    It's amazing after all these years people still get Mavic "wheelsystems" and pay such high prices for diminishing returns. Paying those prices, I'd at least want investment parts making them up.
    What I find amazing is that people will gladly spend thousands on high-tech components and then avoid a 10-15 minute lubrication/cleaning procedure that ensures years of good performance. Disliking a hub for needing service is like avoiding a car that needs oil changes.

I have owned dozens and dozens of wheelsets over the past 20 years and consistently find Mavic wheels and rims to be at the top of the durability heap. Am I doing something wrong?

JMH

mtbr member
    News break.... SPRING FOUND!!!

Ok a nights sleep and resignation to trip around shops for a part forced me to the sledge approach. I brought out the big guns. The vaccum cleaner. Now my shed is dirty at the best of times but after a few weeks of rain it is down right a pig-sty right now.

First after 15mins of searching the shed floor with my HID - no luck - again. So that was that. I fired up the hoover thinking at least it will stop me crawling around in my pyjamas. After a VERY detailed sweep I emptied the bag contents into a big clear plastic container. After removing fluff and big bits I started shaking goldpan style. Low and behold there was the tiny little spring! Whew... Luck came my way and a clean shed to boot. Flux gets to race not Frosty the Spot!

I still hate Mavic today though. I am buying Cane Creek wheels for my new Cross bike.

CA.

No, that's not phonetic
    The next time you need a spring, get one out of a ballpoint pen. They're probably higher quality to boot.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    The next time you need a spring, get one out of a ballpoint pen. They're probably higher quality to boot.
    This little bugger is way smaler than a pen spring. Think 1.5x4mm. I found a likely donor spring in a Cateye light mount. But it was harder.

CA.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    What I find amazing is that people will gladly spend thousands on high-tech components and then avoid a 10-15 minute lubrication/cleaning procedure that ensures years of good performance. Disliking a hub for needing service is like avoiding a car that needs oil changes.

I have owned dozens and dozens of wheelsets over the past 20 years and consistently find Mavic wheels and rims to be at the top of the durability heap. Am I doing something wrong?

JMH
    JMH - I like Mavic wheels and their hubs are durable (bearing and materials). But their freehub system is fickle and average. Only two pawls and two little tiny springs to make the pawls engage. Yes when all is well it is fine. But when an idiot servicing his hubs loses a spring... well hate comes into it.

I also don't like the way Mavic freehub body bolts on the far right and rely's on a ceramic to rubber inteface near the spokes to stop play. If you don't get this right you get heaps of friction and the freehub spins the chain and cranks. Make it too loose and it creates some play and the cassette rocks a little. This can make a squeek noise when pedaling (not coasting).

I am meticulous about maintenace. The Mavic freehub body doesn't rate versus DT or King. But the bearings hub strenght is excelent. as are Mavic rims.

I know heaps of people (hardcore riders and racers) that won't buy Mavic wheels due to their freehubs. I know I am not alone. Perhaps Roadies are happy?
    Last edited by Coldass; 11-09-2007 at 01:48 PM.

mtbr member
    There is no adjustment on the cass. body, just tighten down the axle. If its is clean and lubed, and the bushing is in good shape it will spin fine. Make sure the washer is in between the cass. body bearing and the hub bearing. I have used and sold mavic wheels for years and with basic general service they last years, no problems.

TNC
    noMAD man

Alright JMH...

JMH
    Two things...

I live in West Texas. I can look out my window where I live in the country and see cows. My Grandfather was a big wig in the American Hereford organization as a ranch foreman, and I spent many summers there up until I was a teenager. But I still gotta ask...what the heck is a cow magnet?

Oh...the other item...I agree with you on the Mavic hubs. Just about everyone in our shop and many, many customers in our area use Mavic wheels of various flavors. And while I think there are some darned good hubs made by many other manufacturers at the moment, the overall reliability and weight of the higher end Mavic wheelsets is pretty darned good around here. That relatively easy service issue of the pawls ain't no big deal. Heck, before I even realized this was necessary some years ago, I ended up doing my first pawl service on a rear CrossMax XL on a picnic table in front of Moab Cyclery...with mineral oil purchased from the City Market grocery store next door. The guys at Moab Cyclery didn't have any bonafide, gold label, high tech, bike shop mineral oil...LOL! I really would have hated to have one of those little pawl springs shoot out on to main street during the process. Coldass' vacuum cleaner probably wouldn't have helped.

Coldass...this was a great home shop story. I think most of us have done something similar with some other annoyingly small part that decided to go off the reservation. Just one question, Cold...cotton, polyester, or silk pajamas?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    have some deemax that the freehub stared making the worlds most annoying noise, and doesnt spin well; I've heard eventually they seize. bought some deetraks beginning last summer and they have been very abused and never needed trueing or any hub problems. And we're talking a $269 set of freeride wheels. They're strong, but apparently its a crapshoot as far as hub life. I've had good and bad experiences.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Two things...

I live in West Texas. But I still gotta ask...what the heck is a cow magnet?

Cold...cotton, polyester, or silk pajamas?
    Flannel Cotton with snow men....

I presumed a Cow Magnet was like a Chick Magnet. Attracts the fat ugly ones...

My flux is ready to race now and I have found love for my Crossmax SL's again. The freehub spins smooth and that friggin little spring is safe inside. Off to the race now. Esky packed with beer!

CA.
    Last edited by Coldass; 11-09-2007 at 07:23 PM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    $30 will get you a whole shimano freehub.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I won't, for that money it better not be super fragile, so I won't buy those manitou forks and poorly designed bikes. If I'm going to spend that kind of money it better be able to be abused to here and south mountain and back.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

TNC
    noMAD man

That noise...

Quote Originally Posted by dpspac3
    have some deemax that the freehub stared making the worlds most annoying noise, and doesnt spin well; I've heard eventually they seize. bought some deetraks beginning last summer and they have been very abused and never needed trueing or any hub problems. And we're talking a $269 set of freeride wheels. They're strong, but apparently its a crapshoot as far as hub life. I've had good and bad experiences.
    Though I don't have direct knowledge on your DeeMax, I'll guess its design is similar, with the 2 pawls and such. That noise is what I was fixing on the picnic table in front of Moab Cyclery. When the pawls get dry...2 years of non-lubrication on my oldest set of CrossMax XLs...they start to make that squawking sound. I have that same set of CrossMaxs and the original freehub to this day. I cleaned the pawls, the pocket they sit in, and the insides of the freehub. A clean, fresh dose of mineral oil fixed it, and it's still working. Sure, with enough time and wear, I'm sure the freehub will need to be replaced someday, but with just a little time and some lube, they seem to last a very long time.

George Dickel
    Sep 2005
    [QUOTE=TNC]

I live in West Texas. I can look out my window where I live in the country and see cows. My Grandfather was a big wig in the American Hereford organization as a ranch foreman, and I spent many summers there up until I was a teenager. But I still gotta ask...what the heck is a cow magnet?

You put a big magnet in a cow's rumen (first big stomach) to catch and hold all the metal bits they end up swallowing when eating - nails will puncture the stomach and cause what is affectionately known as "hardware disease" but the magnet helps decrease that risk.
    I once corrected DW about a bicycle related topic.

TNC
    noMAD man
    I just Googled "cow magnet"...damn...no kidding...LOL!

mtbr member
    Race Report on serviced Mavic Crossmax SL freehub...

60 muddy KM's and the freehub worked perfectly. Looks like Fox fork fluid can work on Mavic freehub pawls a treat. They are spinning better than ever. I hope I never have to see that spring again.

Bad news was my SRAM X.O rear derailleur lower jockey bearing failed half way through the race and made shifting a drag - so much drag my drivetrain sounded like a two-stroke with mud for lube. The chain skipped over the jockey wheel teeth and made the X.O try and change gears. After every shift I'd have to try and grab the gear with the twist shift adjuster knob and when set wait for the jockey wheel to spin a bit. Now and then it would spin kind of free - BUT never on the climbs. Kept me seated.

I didn't realize it was the pulley during the race of course. I thought it was something to do with the freehub (given all the mucking I did with it Friday). So when I stoped and looked mid race to try and work out what was wrong I couldn't - work it out that is. I suspected at the time apart from the freehub it might be the lousy Delta Aztec cables little barrels not seated right. It wasn't that.

It wasn't until tonight I did work out it was the jockey wheel (after breaking down the drivetrain to find the fault). The freehub is perfect.

I have now WD40'ed the jockey wheel after prying off the bearing covers. Somehow the bearing had enough sizable crap in them to cause all my issues. For the life of me I can't see how the crud got past the seals/covers. Perhaps the aluminum covers held enough of the right type of crud. Who knows? But I need a new bearing that's for sure.

Oh one more thing. Prolink Gold lube does not last long in a muddy track with water crossings with a chain that sometimes skips across a pulley and can't settle into gear. As soon as it dried out it just added to the noise. We'll see how the Dura Ace/XTR chain faired.... Should have used some sump oil....

I'll post some race pics and 'Flux love' comments in another thread soon.

LOVE MAVIC AGAIN.

Coldie.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    glad the spring thing worked out but....

raise yer right hand and repeat after me. "i wont use wd40, any household, auto or industrial products on my bikes ever again." 2 excellent wet weather lubes are bosheild t-9 and my fave of all time, rock and roll extreme. sump oil????? really now mr ass.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    glad the spring thing worked out but....

raise yer right hand and repeat after me. "i wont use wd40, any household, auto or industrial products on my bikes ever again." 2 excellent wet weather lubes are bosheild t-9 and my fave of all time, rock and roll extreme. sump oil????? really now mr ass.
    Catus - in Australia everyone knows 'sump oil can be used to fix anything. Even comes in handy when the KY runs out... Good for the environment as well!

Hand raised. I will try and get some Boshield T-9. Do you know if Alisyn or Dumonde works as well or better?

Then again it only rains here once a decade at the moment.

Members who have read this thread: 1