mtbr member

Matalic clunk sound at full travel on 5 Spot

I have a 2006 5 spot with a DHX-air. I'm getting a metalic clunk sound when I land over small jumps, even an 8" bunny hop. I have the sag set to 1/2" and the bottom out I've set anywhere from 140-200psi and still the same clunk sound. I turned the bottom out adjustment all the way in as well. I'm 215 lbs and have the air set to about 190-200psi. I checked the full travel with no air in the shock and there is nothing hitting. The front derailleur is over 1/4" above the swingarm at full travel. I even put some putty on the swing arm below the deraileur to make sure it wasn't hitting. I tried a RP23 on the bike and get the same metalic clunk or clink like sound. The o-ring on the shock is going to full travel during a big hit. The shocks are both 7.5" I2I so there're not stuck down. The fame is a large if that makes any difference. I have a lizard skin on the swingarm, so I don't think it's chain noise. It only seems to do it at full travel. The sound is like a knock of metal to metal, I'm worried I might be damaging something. I've been riding full suspension bikes for over 10 years and have never had a bike that made a sound like this at full travel.

I need help at what could be causing this...
    Do these shocks make a clunk/clink sound when they bottom out?
    Is this normal or do I have a problem?

No, that's not phonetic
    So you (mostly) deflated the shock and pushed down on the seat (to replicate bottoming the bike) and you cannot hear the sound? You only get it while riding? If you can reproduce the sound while standing next to the bike it should be easy to isolate.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    It's easy to check.

Just unbolt the top of the shock and swing it out of the way. Then cycle the rear wheel to full travel to see if there is interference with the front derailler or something else. My guess is that the swingarm is hitting the front derailler cage at full travel.

I doubt it's the shock, but if nothing else is inteferring... then it is the shock.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Geeze, Cheeze. You beat me by like one second

Bite Me.
    Rear derailleur hitting the stay maybe? What's your chain tension like?
    Possibly the rear derailleur cable or brake cable hitting the top of the taco? That can make a tinking sound on compression, but not really like metal to metal sounding clunk.
    Tscheezy is right - can you isolate where it seems to come from?
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    Rear derailleur hitting the stay maybe? What's your chain tension like?
    Possibly the rear derailleur cable or brake cable hitting the top of the taco? That can make a tinking sound on compression, but not really like metal to metal sounding clunk.
    Tscheezy is right - can you isolate where it seems to come from?
    I said that I did put some putty on the top of the swingarm just below the derailleur and rode it til it made the noise. I then check the putty and the derailleur never touched the putty, so I'm good there.

chain tension is good, since it makes the sound in any gear combo. I did the big to big than added a link.

Cables are not making the sound since they are away from anything at full travel. I even put some rubber hose over some sections to make sure. But it doesn't sound like a cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    So you (mostly) deflated the shock and pushed down on the seat (to replicate bottoming the bike) and you cannot hear the sound? You only get it while riding? If you can reproduce the sound while standing next to the bike it should be easy to isolate.
    Yea, that's what I tried. It only does it while riding....
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    doubt it's the shock, but if nothing else is inteferring... then it is the shock.
    I have tried another shock, a RP23 and got the same noise. It's like a tink sound.

Bite Me.
    check the bolt tension on the stay linkages to make sure those are tight - for that matter check all the pivot bolts - maybe something's not torqued up to spec. - One other idea - I spent hours chasing a tink (not a clunk) sound on my bike that only happened on hard pedaling. After tearing down greasing adn reassembling the BB and cranks, I found out it was the cable housing and end cap where it entered the cable stop on the seat stay. A spray of lube and it was gone - not to sound like the Car Guys, but is it a tink, a clink a clunk , a clank, a creak or what? Seems like it goes from a clink to clunk to knock in your post.
    Last edited by cutthroat; 09-01-2006 at 01:09 PM.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

No, that's not phonetic
    Almost everyone tracks this stuff down to a bb or crank creak. There are no metal-on-metal contacts in the pivots, so nothing could really produce this sound assuming your bolts are snugged down, like CT mentioned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    check the bolt tension on the stay linkages to make sure those are tight - for that matter check all the pivot bolts - maybe something's not torqued up to spec. - One other idea - I spent hours chasing a tink (not a clunk) sound on my bike that only happened on hard pedaling. After tearing down greasing adn reassembling the BB and cranks, I found out it was the cable housing and end cap where it entered the cable stop on the seat stay. A spray of lube and it was gone - not to sound like the Car Guys, but is it a tink, a clink a clunk , a clank, a creak or what? Seems like it goes from a clink to clunk to knock in your post.
    I'd say the noise is more of a clink sound.
    I torgued all the pivots to spec. with a high quality torgue wrench
    I'll try and lube the cable stops on the seat stay to see if that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezyt
    Almost everyone tracks this stuff down to a bb or crank creak. There are no metal-on-metal contacts in the pivots, so nothing could really produce this sound assuming your bolts are snugged down, like CT mentioned.
    I took the bb out, greased it and torgued it all back down and still have the noise.
    It only does it at full or near full travel, so I don't think it's the bb, crank or pedals.

Maybe I'll try to increase the psi in the shock so it never bottoms and see if the sound is still there?

No, that's not phonetic
    Are you sure it isn't the fork crown/steerer interface? Sound gets transmitted though frames so noises can be hard to pinpoint. Just bouncing hard on the fork could eliminate this possibility.

It just seems very odd that a bushing pivot frame would make a "tick" sound if there are no linkage bits making unwanted contact.

mtbr member
    Are you sure it isn't the fork crown/steerer interface? Sound gets transmitted though frames so noises can be hard to pinpoint. Just bouncing hard on the fork could eliminate this possibility.

It just seems very odd that a bushing pivot frame would make a "tick" sound if there are no linkage bits making unwanted contact.
    I don't think it's the fork crown/steerer interface since I took the fork off another bike, which was silent. I also bounced really hard on the fork and it doesn't make a sound.

I don't think it's any of the pivot bushings since with the shock deflated, they are very smooth and quiet.

No, that's not phonetic
    Concentrated weirdness. A search of this board for "creak" will get you volumes of troubleshooting advice on this sort of subject. With out more info I don't know what to suggest at this point...

mtbr member
    Concentrated weirdness. A search of this board for "creak" will get you volumes of troubleshooting advice on this sort of subject. With out more info I don't know what to suggest at this point...
    tscheezy,

thanks for all your suggestions....I'm going to up the psi on the shock so it doesn't bottom out to see if the clink goes away. Right know there's a tropical storm outside, so maybe tomorrow when it passes by I can give that a try. I'm in Maryland.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    might be the rear hittin the s/post clamp? some q/r's are a bit on the big side.

rear hub loose?

rear brake caliper loose?

try the putty trick on the c/stay by the rear der. by the way, this is a very cool idea! nice job and thanx for sharin it. be sure ill be stealin it.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    check your waterbottle cage bolts.

when my flux arrived in the mail the frame was making a ratteling noise, sorta like a metalic clinking. Dave told me to tighten the bolts and it worked like magic!

3 "fiddy" for short
    I recently had a problem similar to this and pulled my hair out trying to find it. My issue was more of a creak/tink type sound and I couldnt, for the life of me, find the cause. I did all the usual like pulling the cranks, BB, chainrings bolts, etc. and finally found that it was the driveside Horst pivot. It was slightly dry (even after constant lubing) and a little loose. Now I know that you have an 06, but this might give you another avenue in which to look.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    try the putty trick on the c/stay by the rear der. by the way, this is a very cool idea! nice job and thanx for sharin it. be sure ill be stealin it.
    I don't understand what I'd be checking here. Am I checking that the derailleur might be hitting the c/stay?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by glader60
    I don't understand what I'd be checking here. Am I checking that the derailleur might be hitting the c/stay?
    Yes, if it is a shimano unit. The body of shimano rear der's can swing foreward and impact the chain stay. A little more b-tension can help, but it will most likely need some kind of 'bumper' to keep the noise down.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    exactly! when i ran the older 8spd xtr der on my burner i got tons of impact on the c/stay and ended up with a piece of thick, ribbed (for her pleasure) rubber spacer material cut to fit under a lizardskins protector. problem solved. on the flux with the newer 9spd xtr unit, it has its own bit of rubber on the bottom knuckle and i dont notice too much knockin in anything but the more gnarly sections. this seems to be more prevelent on rapid rise types. on the rfxc i run x9 and never a problem. all are h/l rears by the way.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member

found the clunk

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    cactuscorn called this one. It was the rear d. hitting the c/stay. I zip tied a 1/8" thick piece of rubber on the c/stay where the rear d. would swing forward and hit. Clunk sound is now gone

Thanks for all the advice everyone provided....

Members who have read this thread: 0