Living the Dream

Marzocchi Users: How do like your rebound?

Slow, fast or middle. In the past I've run mine fast, but I am going to try it midrange (7-8 clicks on my AM1). I am trying to get my fork as good feeling as my reba. Thanks
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Living the Dream

I Know it's sad

but my Reba feels really good. You didn't even bring up the 4 Vs 6 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    LOL, you are trying to get your coil fork feeling as nice as your elastomer (albeit with holes cut in it) fork?

Sorry, couldnt resist.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    Slow, fast or middle. In the past I've run mine fast, but I am going to try it midrange (7-8 clicks on my AM1). I am trying to get my fork as good feeling as my reba. Thanks

LOL, you are trying to get your coil fork feeling as nice as your elastomer (albeit with holes cut in it) fork?

Sorry, couldnt resist.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    but my Reba feels really good. You didn't even bring up the 4 Vs 6 inches.
    Sorry, I should not mock the Reba or RS bringing back elastomer as I have yet to ride one of the "modern" elastomer shocks and have heard they are very good. Have you had the opportunity to ride it in colder weather conditions? If so have you noticed if it stiffens up noticably (the original elastomer design almost became rigid in the cold).

As for the Marzocchi rebound, I have always found it tunable to a huge extent (from fast to slow). The only time I have experienced problems was before I knew that Marzocchi ships without enough oil inside.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Fast.

I find that setting the rebound in the parking lot or off a curb does not represent how the suspension works at 30mph, which is how I like to set my equipment.

My stuff usually feels "bouncy" at slow speeds, but at higher speeds it keeps up and doesn't spike. That's how I tune it, so usually a minimum of rebound damping, front and rear.

I honestly don't understand how people can be riding the DHX shock with like 2 clicks out from full rebound. It feels like riding a hardtail down a staircase at high speed, because the shock can't rebound.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Never enough time to ride

Elasta what???

Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Sorry, I should not mock the Reba or RS bringing back elastomer as I have yet to ride one of the "modern" elastomer shocks and have heard they are very good. Have you had the opportunity to ride it in colder weather conditions? If so have you noticed if it stiffens up noticably (the original elastomer design almost became rigid in the cold).

As for the Marzocchi rebound, I have always found it tunable to a huge extent (from fast to slow). The only time I have experienced problems was before I knew that Marzocchi ships without enough oil inside.
    Sorry to burst yer bubble dude, but there aren't any elastomers in a Reba. They're all dual air for 2006, with the motion control dampers and for last year they had the dual air and the air u-turn that I know of, all again using the motion control dampers.

And to answer the original question, I find that my Marzocchi works the best with the dampers set on the quicker side of things. Like Jayem's set up, mine feels a little bouncy at lower speeds, but is absolutely perfect at higher speeds. Running in the lower rebound speeds will cause the fork to pack up and feel harsh, definatley not what you want.

happy trails...

squish
    Last edited by squish; 12-11-2005 at 12:18 AM.
    Get out and ride!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    gotta agree here. fast is good. out of my 5 zokes they all run faster if set to faster. you know what i mean. and elastomers???? arent you thinkin of a indy? i know it sounds alot like "reba" and all but a slightly diff technology is involved just the same. its easy to get confused isnt it?

now someone turn off my smart ass switch before he thinks im bein a schmuck.
    No, I'm NOT back!

banned
    Changed the oil to 10wt. and run the rebound a bit closer to the fast end of the mid range of adjustment.

Living the Dream

Good Idea

Thanks I'd forgotten about that. I used to run my old 01 Z1 with like 15 weight oil. i'll give 10 a try. I have 7.5wt in there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Changed the oil to 10wt. and run the rebound a bit closer to the fast end of the mid range of adjustment.

banned
    In my experience, the 10 wt makes it feel like the adjuster is actually doing something, rather than being full fast all the time. I felt there was an unusably fast area in the adjustment, so the 10wt minimizes this area and leaves more for actual usable adjustment range.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    another thought on this. alot of reports commin ashore of overfilled zokes, mine included. i just removed 20mm from each leg in my 66 rc the other day and boy what a diff that made! kinda feels like it moves now.

nuthin wrong with mixin oil weights for a custom viscosity. works great for midgets like me and would be a fine idea for really big guys too. 10w too much? no prob brah! mix in 50% 7w and wala! you gots yerself a 8.5w. any mixture can be had but i suspect its a fine idea to match the type of oil bein used and watch those seal expanding types out there as they do nasty things to yer bits.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    In my experience, the 10 wt makes it feel like the adjuster is actually doing something, rather than being full fast all the time. I felt there was an unusably fast area in the adjustment, so the 10wt minimizes this area and leaves more for actual usable adjustment range.
    With 7 weight oil, on the full slow setting, it takes like 10 seconds to rebound.

Is that not slow enough?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Members who have read this thread: 0