Maiden DH Voyage with a Dear Friend- Mtbr.com
    Third Degree Hater-Fu

Good job! Maiden DH Voyage with a Dear Friend

First, background info. I have ridden Turner DHRs for several years since the days of the infamous white team only 2002 DHRs. I don't get paid to race. I just love to race and be at the races with friends. I have had the pleasure of riding almost every revision of it since. In '06, our shop wanted us to run a brand they carried and I've been off Turner since, but NEVER by choice.

I'm proud to say that as of Saturday morning I got an '08 DHR built up courtesy of some great deals from Greg and Dave, the guys at E13 and big D at Thomson. I had to do alot of barter, parts swapping and selling of old stuff to piece it together, but man did it come out awesome. Not only did I build it up Thursday, Friday and early Saturday...but I raced it all weekend too. It was like second nature to just hop on and go. So second nature, that I went back to clipless pedals for the first time in over 2 years and never missed a beat!!!

So very stoked :

I am not a "Role Model"

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Frankenbuild:
    08 Boxxer Team
    Sunline bar & grips came w/ the fork.
    DHX 5.0 shock w/ steel spring
    Thomson post and stem (stem not shown) X.4 31.8mm
    XT shifter
    Shimano Tiagra road derailleur
    Older model Hadley 36 hole hub laced to Mavic D321 rim...brand new
    Something called a Pivit rear hub laced to Sun Singletrack rear rim
    Old Hayes 8 inch rotor up front
    Random Hayes 8" rotor out back
    New Holzfeller cranks/BB
    new 09 E13 SRS...silly light!
    5 year old generic Fuji saddle
    only 5 rotor bolts per wheel, not for weight savings...but that's all I had.
    Shimano LX levers mated to older Saint calipers
    Michelin Comp 32 2.8" front tire/ Michelin DH tube
    Michelin Comp 16 2.5" rear/Kenda DH tube

Weight w/ Specialized Mag flats:

40.25lbs

Never had a bike that light....and I didn't try to shave weight anywhere...
    I am not a "Role Model"

mtbr member
    Nice build. I am so gonna repaint my big bike something along that color this winter.....

striker!
    Nice looking rig Biz.

Say, were you teammates with Cecil Linder? I remember showing him my DHR at the Mt. Snow nationals and he was pumped. He was riding one the next season, a white one I believe.
    "flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    That green machine looks like a rocket but you never had a bike that light at 40 lbs? Boy, Turner peeps can sure live different riding lives from each other. I've never owned a bike that weighed more than 29 lbs Of course, I don't have a DH bone in my body, but, with all respect...do you ever pedal uphill? No offense, just askin'...
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Yup Superstock...that's the same Cecil.

xcguy, I was refering to a DH bike that light, not any bike I own. Every DH bike I've ever owned was roughly 42lbs or just under, even when dumping big money on parts. Times are changing I guess when

FYI, my other bike is a Turner 5 Pack. I've had it for roughly a year and ride it every week. It's the Pisgah slayer. Granted with my riding style I always have to ride 2.2 kevlar tires with Dh tubes inside bumping it to 32lbs. I flat alot otherwise.

Imagine that...2 bikes frames made on US soil. YEh heh heh YEaHHHHHH!!!
    I am not a "Role Model"

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    nice bike butch...glad to see you back riding and racing again...I'm like you I always loved Turners and they have been my favorite bike but after 6 years I had to retire my XCE to XC duty, so til a 4X DWlink bike comes out(if it does) Greg fixed me up with this to ride...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by THACKER; 08-12-2009 at 07:07 AM.

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Quote Originally Posted by THACKER
    nice bike butch...glad to see you back riding and racing again...I'm like you I always loved Turners and they have been my favorite bike but after 6 years I had to retire my XCE to XC duty, so til a 4X DWlink bike comes out(if it does) Greg fixed me up with this to ride...

hardtail? huh...
    Good to hear of you Thacker. Come race Hawksnest next week!
    I am not a "Role Model"

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    yeah it's just a temporary fix...

I've thought about racing Hawksnest, or at least coming to hang out and ride the slalom course in Boone...don't know if I'm up to speed enough to race yet...

Members who have read this thread: 0