Lyrik: Creaky Crown (X post from "shocks")- Mtbr.com
    3 "fiddy" for short

Lyrik: Creaky Crown (X post from "shocks")

Well, I havnt been having that good of luck with forks as of late. First, my RLC developed a creaky crown and now the Lyrik. I talked to Sram and they seem very willing to help, but it kinda sucks none the less that a new fork (20 hrs or so) has developed this. Does anyone know if this was an issue with the Pike when it came out? I know Fox has been plagued by this problem for some time, but I have heard nothing but positive feedback (for the most part) from recent RS users.

It looks like it is going back for some work, or, I may be getting a new fork from Sram. I know, I know! Its new, Im the guinea pig and I accept that. Im just wondering if this is a growing pain that may have been experienced with some of the newer RS forks?

To this point I really like the fork. Hopefully I will like it just as much when it comes back.

Amphibious Technologies
    Guess you are the firat one to have that issue on a Lyrik. You have the coil u-turn version; right? Did you contact SRAM directly?
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    Guess you are the firat one to have that issue on a Lyrik. You have the coil u-turn version; right? Did you contact SRAM directly?
    Yea, I have the coil. Up until this the fork has been great, but I am the type of guy that hates any extra noise from a bike. I will chase a creak, squeak, etc down as long as it takes. With that said, I know that this would drive me to the mad house in a hurry!

I called Sram and they said that they want the fork back. They havnt heard of this yet with the Lyrik and said that they may keep this fork and send me a new one. I will keep you guys posted.

banned
    When consumers are willing to buy a concept product that was announced a short while ago and the companies see this demand for a product that doesn't really exist, from an economic standpoint, they have a lot to gain for bringing the product that's not yet ready for market sooner.

Then those that wanted this great concept product immediately complain.

Not flaming, but you guys that buy these magic products that were only concepts a few months ago are the ones that make these companies turn them into the beta testers. Don't complain because you paid them to be their beta testers. This is bad for the industry and other consumers because products will be rushed to market because of the want of the people.

No, that's not phonetic
    Prototypes of these forks have been out for a long time, probably over a year. Stuffing a stanchion into a crown is not novel technology in any case. JC, your assertion that this creak is due to some new-fangled techno wizzbang feature is really pretty dumb. Fox and Zoke crowns have creaked since the dawn of time, and Fox shocks have been getting stuck-down for millenia. Nothing new there.

2-Step issues? Well, that's another kettle of fish...
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

banned
    New crown=new architecture

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Prototypes of these forks have been out for a long time, probably over a year. Stuffing a stanchion into a crown is not novel technology in any case. JC, your assertion that this creak is due to some new-fangled techno wizzbang feature is really pretty dumb. Fox and Zoke crowns have creaked since the dawn of time, and Fox shocks have been getting stuck-down for millenia. Nothing new there.

2-Step issues? Well, that's another kettle of fish...
    Well said Tscheezy.

C'mon JC. You know better than this.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    When consumers are willing to buy a concept product that was announced a short while ago and the companies see this demand for a product that doesn't really exist, from an economic standpoint, they have a lot to gain for bringing the product that's not yet ready for market sooner.

Not flaming, but you guys that buy these magic products that were only concepts a few months ago are the ones that make these companies turn them into the beta testers. Don't complain because you paid them to be their beta testers. This is bad for the industry and other consumers because products will be rushed to market because of the want of the people.
    I dont think that a crown issue would be considered a problem that came about from this great leap forward in technology. Especially in the coil Uturn model. This is the same general blueprint that was, and still is, used on the Pike coils. So, not a whole lot new there except maybe the 35mm stanchions. Also, this type of issue (creaky crown) is fairly common with forks. Like I said, and others have documented, Fox has had this problem for many years and came up with a new crown design to wrap it up. Well it seems that that didnt work either. Some have had the good fortune to miss a problem of this sort, while others seem to catch every piece of chit after it hit the fan.

Im not really complaining about the issue. Or maybe I am. I wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar issue with their fork. It does bite that it happens to a new product, but I knew that I was buying a NEW product. So, I have to live with the problems that may arise.

If no one ever bought the first year of a product, would there be a second year of the same thing? Who knows how long this fork was being developed? Some say that RS missed last years boom of big single crown forks like the 66, 36s, etc. because they were working on the Lyrik, Totem, Domain. Could this be marketing hype, sure. But, there also may be some validity to this claim.

Like I said, Sram seems very willing to sort this whole thing out, and for that I am grateful. I will send the fork to them just like they asked me to do and wait patiently for the LBS to tell me that it is back home. Then I will mount it up and do whats most important..... Put it on the couch and take another picture.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Well said Tscheezy.

C'mon JC. You know better than this.
    the Judy is looking better and better.......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by be350ka
    It does bite that it happens to a new product, but I knew that I was buying a NEW product. So, I have to live with the problems that may arise.
    If by problems you mean the hassle of sending the shock back for repairs or the possibility that the suspension quality sucks then yup you're SOL. I dealt with same issues with my Fox 36, before dumping it for another fork. But simply buying products soon after its released into the market place doesn’t absolves the manufacturer of warranty issues and require you to put up with faulty product.
    Last edited by CrashTheDOG; 10-18-2006 at 08:49 PM.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    heres where ill step in and whole heartedly dissagree with ya chicken. the consumer is not and never should be a 1st step product development rider. if this where to be the case then instead of payin 5, 6, 7, 8 hundred or more dollars for said product, we should be on the recievin end of that check. period. ive been sayin this for years and it bears repeating over and over till we and the companies both come to terms with it.

so as i see it we as consumers have 2 chioces: dont buy the new crap till were overly confident the product is sorted and ready for public consumption or keep doin what yer now doin: be the r & d guy for these yahoos. that said, its not like mistakes are not made and dont crop up till product release but i smell a long history here. just when i was startin to come on board the rock shox train too. if the consumer decides to go with option 1, the point will be un-ignorable and we will rarely see this rash of under developed product like weve apperently grown acustomed to. shame on rock shox and shame on us for supportin option 2.

another point before i get attacked. theres nuthin wrong with offerin feedback to facilitate refinin a product and see it improve for our own benefit but this is not the case here, as i see it anyway. what do you guys think?
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Sounds like you are agreeing with mr chicken, no?? I am with you on the 'almost on board' on the newer RS product, but if you look closely, there are still issues.
    I would go so far as to sey, mtbikers need to STOP buying whiz bang trade marked plastic foo foo. When was the last time you saw a fork with advertised features like 'seals that wont leak' or 'no plastic' or 'time proven shimmed dampers' or 'using standard parts readily available' or 'new no-creak crown'.

This is the stuff that would make a fork better, but instead, we buy ETA2stepTSTuturnmaxleECCSFApoplocturnkeyevilgenius ATAmotioncontrolVA.

BTW RS had an issue with creaking on the orig Pikes.

yeah, i suppose i am now that i look at it again. thanx dp.
    No, I'm NOT back!

3 "fiddy" for short
    ETA2stepTSTuturnmaxleECCSFApoplocturnkeyevilgenius ATAmotioncontrolVA.
    Geez!! Now I want one of those. Where do it get that prototype?

No, that's not phonetic
    Dood, check the stats. It lacks rebound. Pass.

3 "fiddy" for short
    another point before i get attacked. theres nuthin wrong with offerin feedback to facilitate refinin a product and see it improve for our own benefit but this is not the case here, as i see it anyway. what do you guys think?
    What have I done to make you think that I was not offering feedback? All I was trying to do was see if anyone else has experienced this same issue. In no way was I trying to blast Sram or the next guy for my problem. After all, it is MY problem isnt it?

3 "fiddy" for short
    Dood, check the stats. It lacks rebound. Pass.
    Say what?

No, that's not phonetic
    You want the ETA2stepTSTuturnmaxleECCSFApoplocturnkeyevilgenius ATAmotioncontrolVAR, not the ETA2stepTSTuturnmaxleECCSFApoplocturnkeyevilgenius ATAmotioncontrolVA.

mtbr member
    I am using the same fork , no creaks up to now ...

melon farmer

no issues with my Lyrik coil

..as yet, no squeaks or any untoward noises.

I did have an issue with my old (first gen - 2005) Pike Team - there was an unusual gap (1-1.5mm) between one of the fork legs and the crown assembly. It didn't make any weird noises, but the local RS distributor replaced it under warranty after some argument from my LBS (thanks Shannon). This may have never been an issue, but it was nice that SRAM sorted me out.

Re being a "beta tester" for these big companies and new technologies, I'd have to say the Lyrik doesnt strike me as being a great leap forward in technology, although of course the new damping system is a big change over previous incarnations. The crown/steerer assembly seems to be fairly similar to previous RS product but I aint no expert.

I liken the situation of testing the new products to buying a recently released drug - you can do all the Phase II and Phase III clinical trials you like and you will see the more common problems arise, but it isn't until you do a full public release that you really get to see ALL the potential benefits and drawbacks. Someone has gotta do it, and this is the price you pay for moving forward.

mtbr member
    be350ka,

I am on my third Reba Team Steerer crown assembly in 7 months pure XC riding, The first started after 3 months clicking under braking and such like. i got them checked by RS and they said yep its the crown "your the only one its happend to" and replaced the uppers.
    3 months later the new ones started the same, i did not beleive it possible and started to look elsewere for the creak,with no luck i removed them sent them away and RS said yep its the Crown "your the only one its happened to" and replaced the uppers, when i said it was my second they said "well yes there has been a few."
    I must say tho that the service from RS was top notch and both times there dealer sent a courier to pick up the forks and i had them back in four days.
    If your search the Shocks board for REBA+Creak there are more the same.
    Third time lucky.

mtbr member
    Here ya go have look at the bottom post for links

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...e+headset+cups

3 "fiddy" for short
    You want the ETA2stepTSTuturnmaxleECCSFApoplocturnkeyevilgenius ATAmotioncontrolVAR, not the ETA2stepTSTuturnmaxleECCSFApoplocturnkeyevilgenius ATAmotioncontrolVA.

Hahahaha. You are right. I should pass if it doesnt have the R.

Sorry, that went over my head in the late hours. Go figure.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by CragRat
    Here ya go have look at the bottom post for links

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...e+headset+cups

Thanks man! Glad to see that they have you all sorted out now. So far, what I have seen from Sram has left a good impression. They have been very receptive and willing to make the situation right and this is about all I can ask for.

As for the rest of you with Lyriks, this could very well be an isolated case. No worries. I will let you know what RS says when I get the fork back.

nuthin i said was directed at you pal. purely general statements.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken

On the contrary, that fork has been in development for at least a couple of years. In fact, they likely could have brought it to market last year, but chose to wait another year to test it more thoroughly (exactly the opposite of what you're accusing them of).

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

banned
    Then I stand corrected.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    nuthin i said was directed at you pal. purely general statements.
    No problem! I figured as much.

3 "fiddy" for short

Update

I took the fork to the LBS today and let them do what they needed for the warranty stuff. I hung around for a while and shot the chit then left for home. By the time I got home I had a message from the LBS saying that they just got off of the phone with Sram and that a NEW fork is on the way. WOW!!! Talk about customer service. I just love it when a company truely stands behind what they sell.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by be350ka
    By the time I got home I had a message from the LBS saying that they just got off of the phone with Sram and that a NEW fork is on the way.
    Nice! But how are ya' gonna ride with no helmet?

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    Nice! But how are ya' gonna ride with no helmet?
    Well I have two options. I can use my old one, or I will use one of yours. Also, I know how to get the Pack up and runnin' before the Lyrik gets back... I will come get that BLING 66 that you have hangin' from you neck on a gold chain and plop it on for now. What-a-ya say?

Also, after lookin at the cracks in the one I sent back it might be just as safe to wear a ball cap.
    Last edited by be350ka; 10-19-2006 at 11:55 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0