Lyrik + 6-Pack = Happy Homer- Mtbr.com
    Feeding your addiction

Lyrik + 6-Pack = Happy Homer

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=2186677

Squeaky had the Lyric on his Pack within 1/2hr of the UPS guy showing up, just in time for tonight's ride. Stay tuned for more detailed ride reports coming soon. Darren was on a coil version (but has already had it for a while) and seems to be very impressed so far.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    mtnhighcyclery@comcast.net
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Xtremely Moderate
    Meh..........
    I want a Totem for my RFX, but I'm not willing to sell my kid for medical experiments to get it.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

No, that's not phonetic
    Please, God, let those stickers be easy to peel.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Bodhisattva
    What's that shock on the 6-Pack?

HIKE!

My Lyrik Air oughta be in the shop Friday!

I'm stoked about the Lyrik and Totem forks, don't know why the pricing thing is such a burr with folks willing to buy $250 seatposts, $130 headsets, and $2k frames! The Fox 36 Talas is in the same price league! Just wait until the dust settles a bit, and 2007 forks are released from all the competitors, the SRAM offerings have set a bar (pricing wise) that I think may migrate a bit as 2007 competitors hit the supply channel. I've got a 2007 36 Float RC2 and a Lyrik Air on the way. Can't wait to figure out which one lives on my RFX and which one goes on the Ventana ECdM tandem!

Just gotta ride the Lyrik, see how it stacks up to my old 66SL, 36 Float RC2.

on a routine expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    What's that shock on the 6-Pack?
    07 Fox Vanilla?
    Attached Images Attached Images

No, that's not phonetic
    Better glue some more knobs on that thing. It's frighteningly gizmo-free.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Please, God, let those stickers be easy to peel.
    You got gas! you got a lighter?

Burn it !

The stickers are so ugly

trail fairy
    Sweet looking fork seems to suit the RFX geom from that angle agree with T not sure on graphics, but a bit of isoproly gone burger

Nice either way do you have a build spec and photo on the Pack data base?

Enjoy be good to here a full blown test report, later time to get some night riding in and then go enjoy some worlds partying in Roto Vegas this place is going off
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Bodhisattva
    The stickers are so ugly
    Agreed
    I'm stoked about the Lyrik and Totem forks, don't know why the pricing thing is such a burr with folks willing to buy $250 seatposts, $130 headsets, and $2k frame
    Agreed. Just wait til you see the MSRP on the new Shimano XTR stuff.
    $650 for a crankset and $250 for a cassette
    07 Fox Vanilla?
    We have a winner ! Some folks aren't gonna like hearing this, but the stock 07 rear Vanilla feels significantly better on the Pack than a stock DHX. It doesn't have the DHX's ramp-up on deep fast compression due to the lack of boost. This shock should deserve serious consideration by anyone getting a new frame if Turner offers it or by anyone looking to replace an older shock.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    at least its not as fugly as the totem, so theres that.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Living the Dream

Squeaky what's the AC height of your fork?

Wondering what kind of HA it will give a Pack. BTW, Nice Ride!
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    Didn't have time to do any measurements. Will try to get to that this weekend & will post back. It "feels" taller than my 150 mm (really 142) 36T but it should since it has a legitimate 160mm of travel.
    I've had the chance to ride both the air & coil Lyriks over the past few months but this is the first time I had one on my bike. It's a bit sticky out of the box like a Zoke. I prefer that to the 36T which was buttery out of the box but went to hell in a hand basket. I've ridden fully broken in air & coil Lyriks before so I know what the future holds and its sweet. Damping is simply incredible. Firm detents and each click results in a palpable change. The 2-step is super sweet. Flip the knob & push and you're at 115mm travel. Flip it again, lift wheel and you're at 160. And the knob only has to go a few degrees. Right leg on top has hi & low speed compression, floodgate and 4th knob which switches the fork from fully active to platform (regulated via floodgate). Rebound is under the right leg. Air goes on the left. I was under the impression that mission control was is an evoltion of motion control but was reedumacated last night. Mission control is completely different to motion control. Similarities end with the names.

Will definitely post more as I get more time on it.

CURB HUCK!!!!!!
    May 2006
    freakin nice, rockshox's quality gets better and better
    Kona Coiler

Feeding your addiction
    I have an angle-finder at the shop, we'll measure Squeak's this weekend and post it.

Larry
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member

Lyrik Setup

Note to new Lyrik owners....It appears that RS is shipping the forks with the floodgate (3mm screw inside low speed dial) in the full closed position. This can have some effect on the fork when it's in the "open" position. IF you feel like the fork is a little stiff in the chop, pull out your rebound adjuster from the bottom of the fork, and turn the floodgate screw counter-clockwise. Probably not a bad idea to start with it in the open position form the get go. Even with the floodgate in full open, the efficiency mode of the mission control is very firm.

Darren

George Dickel
    Sep 2005

'07 Vanilla stats?

Ok, so where can we get an '07 Vanilla shock and whats the damage $-wise??? Waddya think about it for a Spot?
    I once corrected DW about a bicycle related topic.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by ORVH
    Ok, so where can we get an '07 Vanilla shock and whats the damage $-wise??? Waddya think about it for a Spot?
    07 Vanilla can be purchased through any dealer. I don't know how it will work on a Spot as I've only ridden it on a Pack.
    Keep in mind that it has propedal but the damping is factory set and non-adjustable. It was a bit stiff for my tastes but not bad by any means. The biggest advantage over the DHX is on the deeper high speed hits where the Vanilla moves the its travel more effortlessly. At no point did I feel it bottom out. I think the rear Vanilla is going to be a superb option for those considering a new RFX and don't need/want some of the features of the stock DHX-C or for those considering getting the Spot PUSH rockers and want a shock to match.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    .... The 2-step is super sweet. Flip the knob & push and you're at 115mm travel. Flip it again, lift wheel and you're at 160.... .
    This is actually my real issue with this fork. Current, travel adjustable air forks, from R.S. have infinite adjustability. While I am not sure that I/we need infinite, I think that just having the two extremes is very limiting. 160mm sounds super fun on a pack but I cant imagine trying to ride it at 115mm, even for climbing. Anyone ever ride a 6 pack with a 115mm fork?? Unless the rear on your bike locks down as well, i seems like this is just too big of a jump to be of much use.

I was thinking that i could possibly get over the $$ issue if this fork had all the features that I wanted (a big pike), but noooo.....

Looks like the 07 66sl will have a uesable travel adjuster.

Bodhisattva
    Works fine. The fork is tall enough that at low travel it does not feel twitchy whatsoever when climbing.
    And I have no need to keep the fork at an in-between setting for descending.
    I'll do some measurements, but Lyrik at 115 with standard CK race felt similar to my Pike at near full extension (140mm) with the 7mm Ventana race.

Want infinte travel? Get the u-turn coil.

trail fairy
    Sorry Squeaky didn't recognise yr bike.

Great info cheers

Are they 661 tomcats yr wearing how are they for AM riding, Im keen to get a pair of those to wear while riding my RFX.

Cheers

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Time is not a road.
    And so begins the slow obsolecense of the Pike within the Homer nation...

Lemme guess, one for Jamie, one for Ron, one for Larry and one for a player to be named later?

Bodhisattva
    Not Tomcats.
    Veggie pads. Very comfortable for AM riding. I have a set of Fox Launch pads which I wear for DH stuff but they're too rigid for prolonged riding.

Bodhisattva
    Ron has a Spot and is very happy with his Pike. IMO, Lyrik does not belong on a Spot.
    One is for Aqua.
    And as far as I know, there are one or two still unspoken for......

PS. Anyone want to buy a PUSH'd coil Pike Team fork?
    Last edited by The Squeaky Wheel; 08-26-2006 at 01:12 PM.

Amphibious Technologies
    Veggie pads. Very comfortable for AM riding.
    The Kyle Straight version of those are pretty good too. Provides more padding, has vents, and just as comfortable.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    And so begins the slow obsolecense of the Pike within the Homer nation...
    Not yet obsolete: Pike is still good on Spots specially coupled with PUSH rockers....

Just another FOC'er
    I've seen the Lyrik A-C posted as being 545 a couple times. That would make it the same as the 36VAN and I'd think that you'd probably end up with about a 67.7 deg HA.

trail fairy
    Not Tomcats.
    Veggie pads. Very comfortable for AM riding. I have a set of Fox Launch pads which I wear for DH stuff but they're too rigid for prolonged riding.
    Cheers SW, Scubapro, I will have to check em out.

SW is spot on no pun lol, the PIKE is still the fork for the Spot can't see the Homer nation giving up on the PIKE, as many Homers have already showed you just buy another Turner then get a bigger fork

Later

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

right is right

On the subject of RS...

Spot, Pike.

RFX, Lyric.

Highline, Totem.

Do not criss cross and all is well enough within a mile of the first ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    On the subject of RS...

Spot, Pike.

RFX, Lyric.

Highline, Totem.

Please cross post this info on the "170mm trail riding" thread immedietely. Thank you.

Amphibious Technologies
    On the subject of RS...
    RFX, Lyric.
    Highline, Totem.
    You mean I can't do this: RFX-Totem?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Ron has a Spot and is very happy with his Pike. IMO, Lyrik does not belong on a Spot.
    One is for Aqua.
    And as far as I know, there are one or two still unspoken for......

PS. Anyone want to buy a PUSH'd coil Pike Team fork?
    I played around with one in MHC on Friday. I like the 2 step air thing a lot since I tend to use 110 & 140 exclusively on my Pike UTurn. I also like the high & low speed compression, but no way would I consider putting that on a 5Spot (or my 575).

And can you actually sell a PUSH'd Pike before they are available (i.e. Darren my 575/Pike are needing some attention)? Let me guess "a sweet one owner only ridden to church on Sundays."?

long standing member
    On the subject of RS...

Spot, Pike.

RFX, Lyric.

Highline, Totem.

Does this mean that that '07 Marzocchi 66 series is a no go on the RFX as well? Because unless I'm mistaken, the Totem and '07 66 have the same travel and a2c (and have the same intended use).

Or is the above recommendation/limitation applicable only to the new '07 version RFX, and the '06 and older RFX/Pack can handle the bigger fork? I'm just curious (and maybe other people are too) as quite a few posters are talking about putting a Totem or '07 66 on their RFX.

Patrick

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    Does this mean that that '07 Marzocchi 66 series is a no go on the RFX as well? Because unless I'm mistaken, the Totem and '07 66 have the same travel and a2c (and have the same intended use).

Or is the above recommendation/limitation applicable only to the new '07 version RFX, and the '06 and older RFX/Pack can handle the bigger fork? I'm just curious (and maybe other people are too) as quite a few posters are talking about putting a Totem or '07 66 on their RFX.

Patrick
    The 2step Totem A-C is adjustable to 530mm or 565mm (145mm-180mm travel). The way I see it, you keep it at 530mm for trail and set it at 565mm for steep stuff. Win-win

My Van 36 comes with 555mm A-C already and I can climb fine with it; what's another 10mm...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    The 2step Totem A-C is adjustable to 530mm or 565mm (145mm-180mm travel). The way I see it, you keep it at 530mm for trail and set it at 565mm for steep stuff. Win-win

My Van 36 comes with 555mm A-C already and I can climb fine with it; what's another 10mm...

Man, I hope your right about that, if so its a win win for me! I have the same fork now, one of my complaints really the only one is the headtube angle on real steep stuff, raising it a little and getting more travel for the steep stuff would be major cool!

trail fairy
    565mm = RC2X is 20mm more ok

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix
    Man, I hope your right about that, if so its a win win for me! I have the same fork now, one of my complaints really the only one is the headtube angle on real steep stuff, raising it a little and getting more travel for the steep stuff would be major cool!
    I hope the true AC comes out at its 565+/- 5mm spec. As you know, Fox says the AC on the Van 36 is 545mm but mine is at 555mm. Makes sense as there is 168mm stanchions showing.

Yes, a 68 degree HA is fine most of the time except for really steep rocky stuff; doable but would be nice to have around 67 degrees HA.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    I played around with one in MHC on Friday. I like the 2 step air thing a lot since I tend to use 110 & 140 exclusively on my Pike UTurn. I also like the high & low speed compression, but no way would I consider putting that on a 5Spot (or my 575).
    Mind me asking why you would not put one on the 575 or 5Spot?

Just another FOCer
    With an a2c of 545mm, you might as well have your 5 Spot made by these guys:

Quote Originally Posted by westin
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos

mtbr member
    You mean I can't do this: RFX-Totem?
    No, I think he just means it would be silly to do so. Silly I tell you. The Totem is wayyyy to much fork for a RFX.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by westin
    Just way too long A/C length. The Pike A/C is just about perfect for my 575 (and feels great on a Spot too) in the steep stuff, but I wouldn't want to go any longer as the handling would just be goofy.

Bodhisattva
    Just way too long A/C length. The Pike A/C is just about perfect for my 575 (and feels great on a Spot too) in the steep stuff, but I wouldn't want to go any longer as the handling would just be goofy.
    Dubs,
    FWIW, Darren from Greeley has a 575 and just bought Larry's last Lyrik. No feedback from him yet. I guess it's the same as running a 36. Looks like too much fork for that frame but what do I know?

~~~~~~~~
    I hope the true AC comes out at its 565+/- 5mm spec. As you know, Fox says the AC on the Van 36 is 545mm but mine is at 555mm. Makes sense as there is 168mm stanchions showing.
    my van36 has 164mm stanchion showing measured to the top of the dust seal and 168 to the top of the legs. Axle to crown is 545 and maybe a bit under. Are you sure you are measuring to the axle center?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Dubs,
    FWIW, Darren from Greeley has a 575 and just bought Larry's last Lyrik. No feedback from him yet. I guess it's the same as running a 36. Looks like too much fork for that frame but what do I know?
    Maybe its not too much fork for some, but it is for me and my skills. Looks like a killer fork, but I'll just have to wait for high & low speed compression adjustment to trickle into the Pikes.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy
    No, I think he just means it would be silly to do so. Silly I tell you. The Totem is wayyyy to much fork for a RFX.
    Says who? Mabey it's too much fork for your rfx. Not mine.

Edit: Don't quote me this:
    Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    On the subject of RS...

Spot, Pike.

RFX, Lyric.

Highline, Totem.

For current RFX's and sixpacks it might be a good guideline, but not for '02 RFX's.
    Last edited by Renegade; 09-01-2006 at 11:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Maybe its not too much fork for some, but it is for me and my skills. Looks like a killer fork, but I'll just have to wait for high & low speed compression adjustment to trickle into the Pikes.
    And a pike with 2-step!

mtbr member
    I ran a Pike on a 575 for almost a year, great fork for that frame. I also just for grins used a 150mm 05 Z1FR and Ive ridden several 575's at IB with Fox 36 forks. The longer forks still rode fine on the frame and the frame did take some decent sized hits. I Lyric wouldnt be over kill esp the wind-down model, run around on 140mm for most all trail rides then the big shuttle run days bump it up to 160mm and hang on!

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    my van36 has 164mm stanchion showing measured to the top of the dust seal and 168 to the top of the legs. Axle to crown is 545 and maybe a bit under. Are you sure you are measuring to the axle center?
    Should have posted 555+/-5mm to allow for measurement error; from top of legs stanchion is 173+/-1mm.

I also run a 2.35" rear & 2.7" tire up front to slacken HA a bit. I figure with the Totem, I can run a 2.5 up front instead. It's all preference but I like slacker HAs; at least on my Pack.

If Totem messes up the Pack too much; I'm considering a Socom to match it. Don't really need that much travel but I'm after the slacker HA. Thought about a Highline but at 10.5lbs its just too heavy.
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 09-01-2006 at 09:23 PM.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix
    Correction: I just read through the RS Parts Catalog: Totem 2-step 135-180mm travel (530-565mm A-C)

err, 27.5+
    Correction: I just read through the RS Parts Catalog: Totem 2-step 135-180mm travel (530-565mm A-C)

shouldn't that be 520-565 A-C?

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by dscot420

same proof reader marzocchi uses

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by dscot420

I know but that's what on the parts list.

mtbr member
    07 Vanilla can be purchased through any dealer. I don't know how it will work on a Spot as I've only ridden it on a Pack.
    Keep in mind that it has propedal but the damping is factory set and non-adjustable. It was a bit stiff for my tastes but not bad by any means. The biggest advantage over the DHX is on the deeper high speed hits where the Vanilla moves the its travel more effortlessly. At no point did I feel it bottom out. I think the rear Vanilla is going to be a superb option for those considering a new RFX and don't need/want some of the features of the stock DHX-C or for those considering getting the Spot PUSH rockers and want a shock to match.
    Are you still happy with the Vanilla shock on the Pack Squeaky? I have an Azonic Saber, and am trying to determine whether the Van may actually be better than the DHX coil, after reading you review.

Anyone else riding the Vanilla?
    Thanks
    Dave

Bodhisattva
    Dave,
    I only used the Vanilla as a temp while PUSH was working over my DHX and to try something different.
    At my weight, the stock Vanilla felt better on my Pack than did the DHX. Less spikey.

I'm not at all ready to say that the Vanilla is a better shock than the DHX-C for different bikes of varying weights.

g'luck

Members who have read this thread: 0