mtbr member

Lube for DW Link ports?

Is there any substitute for the Prep M grease that Turner recommends for the Zerk ports on the DW link pivots?

I have Park Poly Lube as well as access to Phil Wood Waterproof grease...anything that could be sourced from an auto parts store?

I have my bike apart and need to lube it once I put it back together...HELP!
    Last edited by Chase1996; 11-19-2011 at 09:25 PM.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    They recommend Super Lube now.
    Turner Bikes Online Store

Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Why not Prep M? I have used it for years and it works awesome.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Are any of the products from RockīnīRoll lubrication recommended?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Thanks Guys!! Was able to source the Super Lube from Ace Hardware.

Not to hijack my own thread...but has anyone found another source for the nylon bushings attached to the frame at the pivot points? I chipped a piece off of one of mine removing the rear shock.

Turner store only seems to sell the complete rebuild kit for $50...just need a few of the bushings..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase1996 View Post
    Thanks Guys!! Was able to source the Super Lube from Ace Hardware.

Not to hijack my own thread...but has anyone found another source for the nylon bushings attached to the frame at the pivot points? I chipped a piece off of one of mine removing the rear shock.

Turner store only seems to sell the complete rebuild kit for $50...just need a few of the bushings..
    if you get the size you can order direct from igus i believe, but they have a minimum order i think so not sure you'll save much. best bet is somebody having some spares

make mine a nine

Good question

Quote Originally Posted by langen View Post
    Are any of the products from RockīnīRoll lubrication recommended?
    I asked the same one in an email to Rock n Roll tech support and got precisely no response.

I have their super coat and super web grease at home and have tried both. I think they're both too viscous to work through the zerk fittings. I use the recommended superlube for that. When I reassemble the linkages I use the RnR grease to coat the o rings and on the faces of the nylon bushings. I think it has superior staying power in that it's better at keeping contamination suspended in it rather than migrating it down to the bush.

The prepM and the superlube are both rubbish at doing that, because they're too easily displaced. I have a bunch of scored linkages to attest to it.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    What about the RnR Super Slick grease? It seems to me to be a thinner grease than both the super coat and super web grease(?).

How is the viscosity of superlube compared to super coat and -web grease? Much thinner?

MW
    mtbr member
    What about the RnR Super Slick grease?
    Was just about to post this, too: Rock n Roll Super Slick Grease.

Haven't tried it myself, but from the description it seems to hit all the talking points for a pivot lube. Nothing but good things to say about the other RnR products I've tried.

But if you dig around this board, you'll find posts from DT saying things to the effect of, "As long as it isn't super-viscous like automotive grease, it'll probably be fine." I've always used an old tube of Pedro's SynGrease (I don't think they even make the stuff any more) on my pivots and haven't noticed any ill consequence. YMMV, of course.

--Matt

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    _dw link is so efficient that it requires no lubrication!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Maybe try to find something that matches the specs of Super Lube. Here's a link to the Super Lube grease (I think this is the right lube)

Multi-Purpose Grease

make mine a nine
    What about the RnR Super Slick grease? It seems to me to be a thinner grease than both the super coat and super web grease(?).

How is the viscosity of superlube compared to super coat and -web grease? Much thinner?
    Superlube is very similar to vaseline in appearance and feel. Perhaps a little less stiff. Super web and supercoat are more grease like. the grey one (whichever one that is) is particularly stringy. The white one a little less so. Superlube (and Vaseline ) is not stringy at all.

I agree that the super slick looks to be the best bet given its description but I figured I had enough "super" greases for the time being do note the description of the supercoat grease mentions rear suspension pivots... http://http://www.rocklube.com/super_coat.htm