Low Maintenance Turner Alternative?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Low Maintenance Turner Alternative?

One of the reasons for buying my 05 Burner and 11 5-Spot was the low maintenance of the bushings. Both bikes are still running smooth with only a bit of grease added every 6 months.

Now that "standards" have stabilized a bit I'm looking for a new ride and hoping to get feedback from all you homers who are riding other brands, especially those of you in wetter climates. I'm looking for good and bad, brands that are holding up well (3-4 seasons before having to replace bearings) vs. those that are needing replacement after a season. Designs that make it easy to replace bearings vs. others that may be a PITA or need special tools.

Turners set themselves apart for lazy mechanics such as myself, and I'm hoping that there are other manufacturers who are putting thought into designing for durability and maintainability.

mtbr member
    the new ibis are using the similar bushing now for their lower link bearings...fyi
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steelstump93 View Post
    One of the reasons for buying my 05 Burner and 11 5-Spot was the low maintenance of the bushings. Both bikes are still running smooth with only a bit of grease added every 6 months.

Turners set themselves apart for lazy mechanics such as myself, and I'm hoping that there are other manufacturers who are putting thought into designing for durability and maintainability.
    Loving my v3 Banshee. Built tough, great suspension.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    V3 Banshee what?

mtbr member
    I have a Phantom which is their Trail bike, but Iíve ridden a Rune, and am hoping to build a Rune, or Titan for bigger days.
    They make 5 different bikes (I think itís 5), with the same basic KS2 suspension in various travel lengths and wheel sizes. My Phantom is fast, fun, and a tank. Reminds me of the old alloy Turners with Horst Link, but with updated Geo, and better energy transfer when pedaling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I bought a used Banshee Rune V2. Came with high quality F.A.G. bearings. Easy to remove the rear triangle and replace the bearings with a small press. I used all-thread, washers and nuts to press new bearings in. The 7005 series aluminum can be welded if the frame cracks.

Things to look for in bearing longevity. Stiff design to minimize axial loading on bearings and the linkages actually line up correctly. Protection from dirt and water. I imagine there wont be any real difference between brands for protection from dirt and water. Suspension bearings wear out quick because they only move back and forth a small amount crunching through the same dirt and grime.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I would imagine most of the North American made bikes are quite solid. You looking for aluminum or carbon?

Knolly comes to mind- https://www.knollybikes.com/
    Lenz Sport
    Devince
    Ventana
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Flyin Canine
    OMFG, after all the shit talking for all these years and all these other bandwagon jumping brands switched to ball bearings because they are "superior" and practically drive Turner out of business completely IBIS is using bushings that look identical to what Turner had except lacking a grease port? Are you f'ing kidding me??

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg View Post
    OMFG, after all the shit talking for all these years and all these other bandwagon jumping brands switched to ball bearings because they are "superior" and practically drive Turner out of business completely IBIS is using bushings that look identical to what Turner had except lacking a grease port? Are you f'ing kidding me??
    Letís be clear, Turner is out of business because most of the riding public believes all the bullshit they read on Pinkbike, etc, because letís face it, all of our rides are climbs up non-technical fire road followed by an hour of descending, or better yet, letís all run out and buy bikes with a mile of wheelbase, 63 degree head angles, and 110mm of travel. Thatís why Turner is toast.

Team Blindspot
    Thought the same thing: "Gee, I wonder how that happened all of a sudden" Not surprising it's on a DW bike.
    Astigmatic Visionary

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Definitely looks like a DW Turner

https://store.pivotcycles.com/en/bike-switchblade-1
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    That would be your best bet if you want have a DW link bike with more conservative geometry. Wonder if they'll make an alloy one?

Quote Originally Posted by VMaxx View Post
    Letís be clear, Turner is out of business because most of the riding public believes all the bullshit they read on Pinkbike
    LOL. I loved Turner as much as anyone but lets not get silly. The brands demise has a lot more to do with their decision to ignore/neglect an incredibly popular section (perhaps the most?) of the market by not releasing a 29" wheeled trail bike since 2012 than it does with media brainwashing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    David R is exactly right! I am convinced David Turner built some of, if not the finest full suspension bikes in the late 90's through the mid 2000's. Notwithstanding, mid 2000's forward his passion and focus fixated on short travel and long travel 27.5 wheeled bikes. He was reticent to see the underlying trend and demand for 130-160mm rear travel 29" wheeled bikes that accommodated a 2.4 to 2.5 rear tires. Rumor has it that his Sultan frame was one of his best selling frames, but he elected to place all of his carbon chips on the RFX and Czar frames? Further he was slow or never mentally adopted slack headtube and steeper seatube design philosophy, which I am one that believes provides for a better climbing and descending experience, except for tight swichtchback singletrack situations. My Turner progression was Burner, 5-Spot and Sultan. When the Sultan's frame material and geometry did not advance with the prevailing marketplace I jumped off and purchased a Spot Mayhem. To me the Spot Mayhem rides very similar to the Sultan, but is stiffer, quieter and more efficient. Rumor has it that Spot is working on updating their geometry which 3 years ago was considered aggressive.

I frequently visit this thread out respect and the great memories Turner mountain bike designs provided to me and my brother. If Dave elected to build a contemporary geometry +/-140mm 29r frame, I believe I would be one of many to get into line to place a deposit.

LOL. I loved Turner as much as anyone but lets not get silly. The brands demise has a lot more to do with their decision to ignore/neglect an incredibly popular section (perhaps the most?) of the market by not releasing a 29" wheeled trail bike since 2012 than it does with media brainwashing.[/QUOTE]

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    Definitely looks like a DW Turner

https://store.pivotcycles.com/en/bike-switchblade-1
    You got it 6E. That would have been a Turner Trail bike.
    Astigmatic Visionary

... I guess you won't be
    not my riding.....I live amongst trees

... I guess you won't be
    If you want a Turner, you kinda gotta ditch the DW linkers and go with an original style Horst link Turner style bike......it's what put them on the map. I've ridden DW bikes, and they're OK, but don't ride like a Horst link bike. I ended up on a GT Sensor, which is pretty much a pre-DW link Turner 5-spot, but with all the modern geometry numbers - it's awesome, and everything I wished my 5-spot could have been.

... I guess you won't be
    I think the Turner Highline was the 'Bridge too Far'....it all went weird after that.........

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the props where due, and hindsight can be 20/20..many of David R comments are right on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My 2008 Sultan is still in the rotation of my stable of MTBs and usually sees action at least once a week. In fact it is currently the only FS bike I own and I've lost count of the others that have come and gone over the years I've had this bike. It originally had the electric blue front triangle with a raw rear end but back around 2012 or 13 I sent it in to Tuner for an overhaul and re-powdercoat. Two years ago I replaced the stock Fox RP23 with the Manitou Mcleod. I had never been very impressed with the Fox RP23 even after having it tuned by Push but until replacing it with the Mcleod I never realized how big of a POS it actually was. That change was literally an "ah ha, where have you been all my life" moment.

To make this post relevant to this thread...I think the pivots/bushings could use another overhaul but unfortunately the kit is no longer listed on Turner's site.

Low Maintenance Turner Alternative?-img_1893.jpg

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Stahr_Nut View Post
    My 2008 Sultan is still in the rotation of my stable of MTBs and usually sees action at least once a week. In fact it is currently the only FS bike I own and I've lost count of the others that have come and gone over the years I've had this bike. It originally had the electric blue front triangle with a raw rear end but back around 2012 or 13 I sent it in to Tuner for an overhaul and re-powdercoat. Two years ago I replaced the stock Fox RP23 with the Manitou Mcleod. I had never been very impressed with the Fox RP23 even after having it tuned by Push but until replacing it with the Mcleod I never realized how big of a POS it actually was. That change was literally an "ah ha, where have you been all my life" moment.

To make this post relevant to this thread...I think the pivots/bushings could use another overhaul but unfortunately the kit is no longer listed on Turner's site.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1893.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	317.3 KB 
ID:	1348959
    I'm pretty sure you can order the IGUS bushings direct with the specs.

https://www.igus.com/iglide/plain-be...4aAtScEALw_wcB
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The Raaw Madonna is where Turner ought to be, 29 170/160 Horst link bomb proof alloy bike that is staggeringly good. A modern day RFX.
    Then produce a 130/120 29 er alloy version with similar kinematics !
    Winners all round