mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Low 30s, fresh snow Let's ride!

A quick moving storm dumped fresh snow on our trails and they sure needed it. I waited a day, watched some of those Goat Camp vids to get psyched up then headed to Picture Rock. Nobody in the parking lot when I got there, nobody on the trails, nobody but me in the parking lot when I got back. Tacky trail in the sun, snowy in the shade. Hard to believe I was laying down the first bike tracks in two days on this typically crowded trail. The pics, I'm sure, will be in no particular order: and I was right. The snowy mountain shot is driving west into Lyons. Hall Ranch, another great ride, is sort of directly below that mountain (and about 20 miles east of it) and Picture Rock is in the left of the pic.
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 11:00 AM.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Pivoteer
    I know how you feel...76 and sunny today. Not sure how much longer I can take it.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

My cup runneth over
    Not enough snow on Green Mountain to delay anything - it dried out by Tuesday evening - empty trails!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    Not enough snow on Green Mountain to delay anything - it dried out by Tuesday evening - empty trails!
    It was crazy here in Westminster. When the sun went down there wasn't a cloud in the sky, when I got up the next morning there wasn't a cloud in the sky but there were frozen streets and three inches of snow and 8 degrees. When I looked at the foothills it's like the snow was just sucked into the soil and had only "stuck around" in the shaded areas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm gonna have to take more some pics of the upper part of this trail. The lower part is as you see, the upper part is one rocky area after another, completely different, like two different trails. Then it joins up with Heil which is more rock fest. It's just easier to capture the essence of the wide open smooth trails in the lower part in a camera than it is to capture the rocky areas. 'Fer instance, these of two switchbacks in the upper area---looks smooth, doesn't show the chunk you will encounter coming up or the chunk below. Very easy to lose concentration and do multiple face plants up there. It's not like those riding the upper area or Heil are on long travel slack bikes, we all had to peddle to get there!
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 11:00 AM.

gravity curmudgeon
    ... that's like June riding conditions here!

Looks good. I'm envious.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdog
    ... that's like June riding conditions here!

Looks good. I'm envious.
    We'll take it but if the trails were under 12" of snow it'd be more normal.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I might try for a dirt ride this weekend, it's been a while...

ride
    That Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA was really good, thanks XCguy. Did you get into the Gordon's yet?
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    That Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA was really good, thanks XCguy. Did you get into the Gordon's yet?
    Glad you liked it. Haven't tried the Gordon's yet but will this evening. I liked the Twisted Pine.

Members who have read this thread: 0