mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Loop 140 on 2009 Sultna - MoBetta

Just swapped out a Fox Talas 29 (120mm, Kashima) for a new Loop 140 and love the change. IMO the Sultan was made for a 140mm fork - it goes from kinda dead to really fun. The Loop is very smooth and the damper is seamless and it doesn't seem to be any less stiff than the Fox (for XC anyway). So far it is an improvement in all areas. Unlike the older Fox X forks which were harsh on the first hit before they unlocked, the Loop just unlocks instantly so you go from no-bob to open travel with no "hitch" in the system. The only downside is that the Loop makes a sucking noise on rebound - which was noticeable at first but kind of fades into the back ground as you get used to it.

Delirious Tuck
    noise will probably diminish as you break it in more. I was going to go this route but ended up with an 11 frame and an F34 140mm. Agree that the 140mm make the bike mo nicer.

mtbr member
    I've been looking at the White Brothers Loop and just read the review in Dirt Rag. One of their complaints was small bump compliance, but overall they seemed to like the fork. This is also my biggest gripe about the Fluid fork too, but overall, I'm pretty happy with the Fluid, it has been very reliable and it's stiff. Have you spent any time on the Fluid to make a comparison between the two?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I've been looking at the White Brothers Loop and just read the review in Dirt Rag. One of their complaints was small bump compliance, but overall they seemed to like the fork. This is also my biggest gripe about the Fluid fork too, but overall, I'm pretty happy with the Fluid, it has been very reliable and it's stiff. Have you spent any time on the Fluid to make a comparison between the two?
    I rode a the Fluid 135 for most of 3 seasons (or was it four?) on the first version of the Sultan and then on the DW before getting the Fox. The Loop does not have any of the stiction that F135 is known for and is MUCH more compliant on small bumps and better on the bigger hits as well. Also, the F135 never seemed to give 135mm of travel - the Loop gets you the full 140mm which is really nice. The new damper is a huge leap forward - just really well designed. If you like the F135 you will love the Loop.