mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Looking for opinions on possibly purchasing a DW Flux

Looking at purchasing a Flux frame but hesitant due to the price. If anyone is a Flux owner reading this I would like to know if you had a chance to do it all over again would you spend your hard earn $'s to buy another Flux or go with a cheaper brand? How much did you pay for your frame? Is $1800 shipped for an '09 a good price or can I find it for less? My main reasons for wanting to purchase a Flux over other brands is that it is made in the USA and the DW Link. I dont know of any dealers in my area so I am going by what opinions others can offer. Also, I am thinking about getting the Raw frame but I was wondering if it will start to form any rust around the welds or develop oxidation when exposed to the elements. Thank you.
    Last edited by FireLikeIYA; 06-26-2010 at 04:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I think that is a very good price.... I just got an almost new 08 frame for the half of that price and even I know the DW is an excellent sistem think itīs a lot of money..... maybe it worth the money. 2 months ago I tried to get a DW and $ 1950 was the best price.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Well, it's in the mail. I cant wait to get it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Although a lot of money (and that's a good deal...would love to know where...), more and more I'm realizing that besides quality of ride etc., buying and owning a Turner has many benefits that make up for initial cost. Ease of servicing and longevity of pivots (my friends are always dealing with creaks, replacing bearings), rebuild program (many of my riding companions really envy this), Turner-for-Turner deal, customer service etc. It all adds up and, in my mind, more than makes up for the relatively steep price tag. I love my 08 TNT Flux and have no doubt that at some point I will upgrade to the DW link version.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Good job FireLike!!! I have 2 DW Flux's, one with air shock and fork, the other one with coils and a Gravity Dropper seatpost. I use the coil bike as my lightweight AM bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have an 09 Flux medium. At 5'10" I would suggest a large frame. great bike
    go for it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    So FireLike, mind PM ing me with where you got it? How do you like it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmitch2
    I have an 09 Flux medium. At 5'10" I would suggest a large frame. great bike
    go for it.
    Yeah, I ended up ordering the Medium. I thought about getting the Large but after calling a few shops and comparing the geometry with my current bike I decided to go with the medium. My current bike is a large and it feels a little big at times even with a 75mm stem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NTZeek
    So FireLike, mind PM ing me with where you got it? How do you like it?
    PM sent. The deal is dead.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the PM, see you ordered a M so I won't try to get the scratch and dent one from them, but will keep an eye out. Good luck on the new one.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA
    Looking at purchasing a Flux frame but hesitant due to the price. If anyone is a Flux owner reading this I would like to know if you had a chance to do it all over again would you spend your hard earn $'s to buy another Flux or go with a cheaper brand? How much did you pay for your frame? Is $1800 shipped for an '09 a good price or can I find it for less? My main reasons for wanting to purchase a Flux over other brands is that it is made in the USA and the DW Link. I dont know of any dealers in my area so I am going by what opinions others can offer. Also, I am thinking about getting the Raw frame but I was wondering if it will start to form any rust around the welds or develop oxidation when exposed to the elements. Thank you.
    So, I'm guessing you've had it a week or so now. I'd like to hear you answer your own question. If you had a chance to do it all over again would you spend your hard earn $'s to buy another Flux or go with a cheaper brand? What other bikes did you try?

I believe you're also required to post some pics of your sweet new ride, but you can go ahead and answer even if you don't have pics yet
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd
    So, I'm guessing you've had it a week or so now. I'd like to hear you answer your own question. If you had a chance to do it all over again would you spend your hard earn $'s to buy another Flux or go with a cheaper brand? What other bikes did you try?

I believe you're also required to post some pics of your sweet new ride, but you can go ahead and answer even if you don't have pics yet
    I can't wait to be able to answer this question but unfortunately the first frame had some minor damage that it accrued during shipment. The replacement is in the mail and I should have it built in about a month or so. All I can say for now is that the workmanship is very good if not excellent. It is definitely a form follows function frame that appears to have been well engineered. Receiving that first frame was kind of like a teaser. It doesnt mean much at this point but so far I am glad I went for it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

OK, so here it is 5 months later and I finally have the bike built and sorted out. It took me a lot longer to get this bike assembled than I anticipated. This is only my second bike and my first build. I had a few warranty problems during assembly that probably ate up 3 of those months. The first frame I received was damaged during shipment so I had to send it back overseas (Chain Reaction Cycles) and wait for its replacement. After that I ran into problems with my brakes as both the front and rear master cylinders had leaks. A couple of weeks went by and when I received my brakes back the rear brake still had a leak so back it went. The final warranty claim was with the Fox RP23 shock as the rebound knob did not work. Not really bothered by the warranty claims as all the companies I dealt with had great CS but at the same time they were not anticipated.

As far as my impression of the bike I am very pleased with the outcome. On my second ride out on a 12 mile loop that I routinely ride I beat my previous best time by a couple of minutes without even realizing it. I am not sure if the fact that I had only ridden a HT up until this point had anything to do with it but I was really impressed by this! The bike does ride great and feels as quick and as responsive as my hardtail but a whole lot smoother. I don't notice any pedal induced bobbing and the bike is very quiet when decending. I ended up going way over my budget (just over 4K for everything) so it is really hard to justify that amount on any bike but overall I think it was worth it.

I didn't really try any other bikes before buying the Flux. I did a quick test ride on an Epic and looked at the Giant Anthem but that was it. I wanted to put together my own bike and at the same time I also wanted a frame that was made in the USA. Turner seemed to make the best frame for XC riding with an excellent reputation for customer support so that is what I based my decision on.

Looking for opinions on possibly purchasing a DW Flux-picture-003-resized.jpg
    Looking for opinions on possibly purchasing a DW Flux-picture-007-resized.jpg
    Last edited by FireLikeIYA; 01-15-2011 at 02:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    sweet looking ride... congrats..

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Excellent - my dw-link flux build came out at about 4400 GBP and it has been a really nice bike, although I am off it now for a while with a broken collarbone :-(

Like you I came from a HT, but test rode a dw-link 5-spot back-toback with a Giant Trance X, and also a SC superlight before deciding on it.

The superlight geometry was nice but the suspension felt lossy and I did not want to be fiddling with propedal all the time.

The 5-spot felt so much more solid and plush than the Giant - the suspension seemed to be working a lot better and the bike was stiffer as well.

The flux feels like something I will never want to change, although I might go 120 on the front instead of my 100mm SIDS at some point.

mtbr member
    Looks great! I'll miss seeing white bikes around here.

What size chainrings are you running?
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    Looks great! I'll miss seeing white bikes around here.

What size chainrings are you running?
    Thank you! Too bad they still don't offer the white. I don't understand why they went with the blue for the new Flux. As nice as the blue does look it makes it look like a Pivot.

I am running 36/26t. It felt a little tall at first but I am getting use to it. I may go down to 32t/22t when summer comes around.

mtbr member
    Thank you! Too bad they still don't offer the white. I don't understand why they went with the blue for the new Flux. As nice as the blue does look it makes it look like a Pivot.

I am running 36/26t. It felt a little tall at first but I am getting use to it. I may go down to 32t/22t when summer comes around.
    I've never had a white Turner, but always liked the look (even before Crazy Fred immortalized it). Also like the move to ano, but don't know that it's possible to anodize a frame white (at least I don't think I've even seen it done), and with no more custom PC, white Turners will be few and far between from here out.

I thought that bashguard looked to be on the big side. I think a 36t "middle" ring makes a lot of sense on a dual ring + bash setup. In my mind, if you're going to carry around the weight/complication of a front derailleur, you may as well get some extra top end gearing while you're at it (while not going so big that you can't stay in it >90% of the time).
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Your post threw me off when you said you had to wait for the bike to come from overseas, but then I thought the pic looked like Arizona. I run a 36/24 on my bike right now, so that could always be an option if you want a little more low gearing for the summer, no need to get rid of the 36, but you can still take it a little easier on the climbs when it's 105 degrees out on your night rides

BTW, bike looks great. I'm still looking myself, seriously considering a Pivot Mach 5.7, but also considering an Anthem X (primarily due to price). Planning to race, but realistically speaking, I would likely just get a whole lot more enjoyment out of the slightly longer travel bike for most of the stuff I ride and my style of riding. Still light enough to race too with the build I would do. Light enough at least... If I start missing the podium by less than 1 minute I'll look at lighter frames. Was considering the 5-spot, but with it being another degree slacker this year it's out of the running for me. I already have a big slack bike, I'm specifically looking for something quicker steering than what I have, with more travel than xc-race, but still having snappy pedaling. Gonna arrange to try out a neighbor's Anthem X to see if the amount/quality of the travel is suitable for my riding style or if I need/want the bit more that the 5.7 would offer.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Was considering the 5-spot, but with it being another degree slacker this year it's out of the running for me.
    While the 5 Spot is nearly a degree slacker (for a given fork) this year, it would actually come pretty close to the Mach 5.7's 68.7* HTA if you put a 140mm Fox on it (which is presumably what Pivot bases the geometry on). The 67.7 Turner lists is based on a 525mm A2C fork, so using a 511mm one instead would put it at ~68.4* Obviously the bottom bracket would drop a bit at that point (1/8" or so), and it may still be more slack than you'd prefer, but it's something to think about.

PS: if you really wanted to get crazy you could use an internal headset to steepen it up another ~1/2 degree, but that would mean no tapered steerer and an even lower BB.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Your post threw me off when you said you had to wait for the bike to come from overseas, but then I thought the pic looked like Arizona.
    Yeah, sorry about that. It was late when I made my post and I wasn't very coherent. I purchased the frame online from a UK store.

seriously considering a Pivot Mach 5.7, but also considering an Anthem X (primarily due to price). Planning to race, but realistically speaking, I would likely just get a whole lot more enjoyment out of the slightly longer travel bike for most of the stuff I ride and my style of riding.
    The Pivot Mach 5.7 is a nice looking bike. I like the changes Pivot has made to their frames. In some ways I wish I would have went with a longer travel bike. I built my Flux as a replacement for my HT. The original plan was to use my HT as a donor bike for most of the parts but when I started running into the warranty issues I decided to keep it as a backup. As well as the DW link pedals I probably would have looked at getting a 5 Spot otherwise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Why my Turner is worth every penny I spent: I got a severe spinal infection (menningitis is in the spinal fluid mine in a disc, almost as bad) that came close to killing me, extreme pain for 3 weeks, couldn't even sit. When I got out of the hospital I could barely walk. Trying to walk my dog was tough but I started riding my Turner with her, she follows well. I could barely climb the small hill behind my house but the Turner is so well balanced I didn't fall, and a fall could have set me back seriously. I did fall after 2 1/2 months when looking down and when I looked up there was a car 10' away, panicked and slammed the disc brakes. By then a small fall was nothing. Within 3 1/2 months of getting out of the hospital I was meeting a goal on a riding trip to Utah.
    I've tested many bikes very few were close. Only the Trek 9.9 and a Moots Gristle beat mine in any ways and both are much pricier than my build.
    I can tell the difference on EVERY turn.
    agmtb

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Yeah, sorry about that. It was late when I made my post and I wasn't very coherent. I purchased the frame online from a UK store.

The Pivot Mach 5.7 is a nice looking bike. I like the changes Pivot has made to their frames. In some ways I wish I would have went with a longer travel bike. I built my Flux as a replacement for my HT. The original plan was to use my HT as a donor bike for most of the parts but when I started running into the warranty issues I decided to keep it as a backup. As well as the DW link pedals I probably would have looked at getting a 5 Spot otherwise.
    Yeah, all these bikes we're discussing are really high quality, there's no losers here. It all comes down to which one matches your intended riding and goals. I think the Flux probably rips around South Mountain, easily faster on DC, and going up Mormon then a 5-spot would be, and you just have to pick your line and control your speed a bit moreso on the way back down National, but I wouldn't hesitate to ride a Flux down it. I could imagine preferring a 5-spot for coming down Telegraph, but that's not everyone's cup of tea anyway. I see the 5.7 as sort of between the Flux and 5-spot, though closer to the spot. It also seems to be right near the sweet spot of what I'm looking for. It's nice to have the slacker head angle for drops and steep roll-offs, but there definitely is a tradeoff in maintaining speed in the corners and navigating tight switchbacks, if it was all upside, then all XC bikes would have slacker head angles. The flux strikes a nice balance with it's 70deg HA.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    While the 5 Spot is nearly a degree slacker (for a given fork) this year, it would actually come pretty close to the Mach 5.7's 68.7* HTA if you put a 140mm Fox on it (which is presumably what Pivot bases the geometry on). The 67.7 Turner lists is based on a 525mm A2C fork, so using a 511mm one instead would put it at ~68.4* Obviously the bottom bracket would drop a bit at that point (1/8" or so), and it may still be more slack than you'd prefer, but it's something to think about.

PS: if you really wanted to get crazy you could use an internal headset to steepen it up another ~1/2 degree, but that would mean no tapered steerer and an even lower BB.
    Very interesting. So apples to apples - a 5-Spot with a 511mm fork and internal headset would measure approx 68.9* while the same with a Mach 5.7 is 68.7*.

Or, with a 525mm for and an external headset the 5-Sport is 67.5* and the Mach 5.7 is 67.3*

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Heres mine before my christmas presents Hope pro 2 hubs laced to Stans alpines and Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 Flatbar and Seatpost

https://farm2.static.flickr.com/1058...2cd3a1e2_m.jpg

And After

https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5046...77d966db_m.jpg

Sorry dont know how to work this computer thingee

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Psunset
    Heres mine before my christmas presents Hope pro 2 hubs laced to Stans alpines and Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 Flatbar and Seatpost

https://farm2.static.flickr.com/1058...2cd3a1e2_m.jpg

And After

https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5046...77d966db_m.jpg

Sorry dont know how to work this computer thingee
    Nice bike! That is an unusual but cool looking color combo. What gears are you running? Are you running a 1x10 setup? How do you like it?

You should post your bike here-> https://forums.mtbr.com/turner/09-flux-dwl-setups-speccifications-453883.html

Don't forget to include all the specs!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Nice bike! That is an unusual but cool looking color combo. What gears are you running? Are you running a 1x10 setup? How do you like it?

You should post your bike here-> http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=453883

Don't forget to include all the specs!
    Gold Dust Orange and Candy Blue Colors, Running 1x9 with one of the Raceface Single rings in a 34t with a Pg990 11- 34 cassette, with the MRP 1x guide. I love it the Dallas area is pretty flat but couldn't ride anything else

Members who have read this thread: 0