Looking for advice on fork for DW spot- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Looking for advice on fork for DW spot

I'm currently saving pennies for a large DW 5.Spot. My LBS has a semi-gloss black one in stock and won't be getting any more for a while, so I'm very tempted to take it before someone else does. I need a new fork to put on it since my coil Pike's steerer is cut too short.

I thought of going for a 2010 Revelation (maybe U-turn) with Maxle. As the chassis is similar to the pike, I reckon I'd like it, but the LBS say they can't get me that fork. They propose a 32 Float or TALAS with 15QR, but my King 20mm hub wouldn't be compatible with that until...??? Also I've read the debates about 15QR being little stiffer than 9mm QR. I had an 07 TALAS with QR that felt extremely flexy and I hated it so much I sold it for the Pike which solved that problem. I'm 95kg (210lbs) nekkid so things tend to flex more under me.

So now I'm considering a 36 float, which is definitely beefy enough for my weight and has the right axle, but it's heavier and would probably need lowering. Is anyone running a 36 float on a large DW spot? Did you lower it?

mtbr member
    welcome to the board - use the search function on this board and find 18,000 threads on this topic - net net many love a 36 on a DW Spot - I don't understand why an LBS can not get a Rev with Maxle light - maybe get a 2010 150mm Rev? or a leftover air Pike 140mm maxle w/u-turn. I don't get 15mm - trying to be a solution to a non existent problem. My issue with a 36 is that with the talas I would prefer a 140mm setting to a 130mm setting for regular trail riding. Also, you can see a bunch of other riders set ups posted of DW Links 5 spots in the stickies at the top of the page. Good luck.

mtbr member
    I have a Talas 36 + Flooat 32 150mm 15q/r,both are great forks for my dw spot.

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm running a Float 32 TALAS at 140mm and I'm loving it. I never find a need to use the travel adjust where I ride. I'll be putting a 150mm FLOAT RLC on tomorrow to see how that goes.
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks all.

@Wilks: I think I have read all 18,000 posts on the subject but couldn't convince myself either way. From the Setups thread a 32 seems more popular, but at my weight I just can't see myself riding one, even though I'm dropping weight slowly. As for not being able to get the RS Rev, I really didn't understand either, but in this country (Singapore) people often give you an abrupt no for an answer, the importer is a rival LBS so who knows.

I think I'm swaying towards the 36 float, which I'll ride at 160 and probably end up lowering to 140. The trails here have short but steep ups and downs, square edged hits, and lots of rocks and roots. On balance, I'd prefer a slightly lower front end otherwise I won't make it up the short climbs.

@_DW: I can also live without travel adjust. I like it on my pike because I can set it for where I'm riding, but I rarely change it during the ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I was using a Fox TALAS 32 RLC with 15 t/a on my DW Spot and I recently switch to a Fox Float 140 RLC with 15 t/a. Both are great forks. I never used the 100 mm or 120 mm travel so I switched to the Float. The first couple of rides I did not like the Float, but I now have the Float "dialed" and I really like it. Between the TALAS and the Float I would lean towards a Float. The 15 mm T/A is much stiffer than the traditional quick release.

I also believe the 2010 Revelation 150 u-turn with 20 mm T/A would also be a great fork. It is only 4.06 lbs. It can be set at 140 and when you are descending you can increase the travel to 150. It has the 20mm T/A; accordingly, it should be a nice fork for the DW Spot.

mtbr member

Coil Lyrik

Boing!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Like I said earlier try finding a Pike - plenty in the classifieds or ebay but finding someone to ship to Singapore is not so easy.......

mtbr member
    I have a Float 32 RLC 150 mm FIT, I love it
    life is steeper than it looks

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Coil, coil, coil!!! I converted my 07 Float 140 into a Vanilla after assembling and riding the new DW Spot and it changed the bike completely. It rides higher in the front, a better match for the anti-squat rear, small bump compliance is great and it doesn't dive through the mid stroke like most air forks.

mtbr member
    Iíve got a 5 Spot with 36 float and absolutely love it.

For the type of riding I do; Iíve never had any problems climbing and descending is sooooooooo much fun.

I would interested to hear from DT or DW what it actually does to the Geo and BB.

Moosehead
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibbs_

Boing!
    +1 to that, got any more shots like this one? Alps, Pyrenees, Dolomites?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    +1 to that, got any more shots like this one? Alps, Pyrenees, Dolomites?
    Father and son shot

tardcore
    I'm running a Talas 32, 150 TA. It works well, the 15 is a little stiffer for sure but at your weight a 20mm TA might work better for you.

mtbr member
    I have a DW spot medium and converted my 160 36 Talas to a 140mm float for $100.
    Got both spacers to make it 150 or 140 but never changed it from the 140 when I initially changed it. Nice to have a bike that needs no fiddling while riding. No platform on the back and no adjustment on the front. The Talas 160 was too long and the 130 was too short.
    Hope this helps. 140mm is perfect for this bike IMO

mtbr member
    Very happy with my 2 step, mostly ride with it at 160, but is convenient to have the option to lower it to 115 when climbing for long stretches......

Extreme XC
    I've been running 55 ATAs on my spot, which have been really good. That said, I've found that I'm running them between 140 and 150mm of travel most of the time, and don't really use the 165mm options that much.

This week I put on a set of 2010 32 TALAS which I'm going to be doing a long-term test for a magazine here in NZ. The damping in them definitely feels nice, but I haven't had enough time to work out if/how much more flexy they are.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    has anyone run the Magura Thor fork?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I made my decision.... I'm picking up the frame and building it next week so will have some more couch shots then

mtbr member

Yes Spot with Thor

Quote Originally Posted by mtbmitch2
    has anyone run the Magura Thor fork?
    LOVE IT!!!! Quick first build some changes since just no new pics.

Extreme XC
    I've been running 55ATAs on my 5.spot since I built it up (about 3 months back), but for the past couple of weeks I've had a set of 2010 Talas 32 (150mm) forks on it (all part of a magazine long-term review here in NZ).

They feel pretty nice so far - the damping is much better than fox have had in their 32 range in the past. Slightly more noodly than the 55s (which have a 20mm axle and 35mm stanchions), but a whole bunch lighter. I'll be really interested to see what marzocchi come up with for the 2010 year - especially on the weight front which is really where they are losing out at the moment.

Members who have read this thread: 0