Long, & possibly stupid, thread. Ok, maybe even retarded.- Mtbr.com
    George Dickel
    Sep 2005

Long, & possibly stupid, thread. Ok, maybe even retarded.

Alrighty then... so for the unfortunate few of you who have followed my meanderings into Turner land, here's the deal - My '04 Spot now has an '06 Zoke All Mountain 1 on the front, and an '05 Fox rp3 on the back. Yes, both are superior to the Swinger and Minute fork I previously had on my technologically inferior Horst link model. So yesterday I do a 3 hour tour, then another 1.5-2 hours this evening. I realize from my extensive study that the Marzocchi will get better with time, after an oil change, fine tuning the settings, etc. (Although I understand why these forks get high marks - ok, it's heavy, but otherwise it's like butter). I also note that the rp3 is easier to tune and much more supple (with no loss of "efficiency") than the Swinger. However, I tend to think that having a "balanced" ride (i.e. front to back) is important and makes the ride more enjoyable. Which right now I don't feel I have. Difficult to describe, but after a rocky, technical downhill (for ME - and I have the skills of a 13 year old boy on his first date) the first thought I had was "That was fun, but the front seems alot heavier than the back. So how do I add weight to the back?" I know, those who recommended a coil (i.e. Vanilla or Romic) on the rear will say that those choices will make a difference, but so far I am much happier with the rp3 than the Swinger, so I find it hard to believe a coil will make that much of a difference. But then adding weight simply for the sake of "balancing" a bike seems completely retarded. Right now the Spot comes in about 30+ lbs. i am wondering what another 12-16 oz on the rear will do for the ride. Maybe I have come up with a new bicycling disease - "Anti-weight-weenie-itis." The heavier my bike, the happier I am. I admit my problem, and accept that it is a disease. Hopefully I will find others who have a similar problem and can guide me through a 12 step program... who knows, in 2 years, I may be bragging on my 25 lb Spot. (No offense, Davide)
    I once corrected DW about a bicycle related topic.

mtbr member
    I can relate to what you're saying about balance, but it might not be a matter of weight per se, but a reflection on the two very different characteristics of your shocks: a very progressive RP3 mated to a more linear Zoke.

I had a similar issue with my first 'Spot build: an RP3 mated with a TALAS (as in Linear Air Spring). At first I loved it because the overall ride was such an improvement over my previous POS that I didn't care. After a while I cared. I ditched the RP3 for a the more linear DHX-A. That was much better match for the TALAS, then I had issues with the TALAS so I got a Dual Air Pike. Both the DHX-A and the Pike are a tweakers dream and complement each other well, IMO. In the end I got the balance I was looking for, but it had nothing to do with weight. It was more about matching damping characteristics (curves?) or some such thing.

No, that's not phonetic
    Option A: Resist the urge to take a dump before your ride.

Option B: get a lighter fork (Pike Air).
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just wanna point out that the rear shock is pretty close to the front/rear balance point for the bike, so going to a coil shock probably wouldn't change the weight balance much.

mtbr member

Piker

OK, after much thought I've got to throw my hat in the ring for Tscheezy's option B. I recently made the switch from a 2003 Z1 FR to a Pike 454, wow, what a difference. I'm also running an RP3 in the back & didn't notice how out of balance the bike was until my first ride with the Pike. The front and rear react more consistently and predictably, particularly when the trail turns nasty. I tried everything with the Z1, even different weight oils, to no avail. A few tweeks of air pressure & rebound damping and the Pike is perfect (at least until the next great fork arrives on the scene).

George Dickel
    Sep 2005
    Well, I ate a huge salad tonight (lots of roughage) so we'll see how option A works out tomorrow...
    I once corrected DW about a bicycle related topic.

Members who have read this thread: 0