Life span of DHR Frames?- Mtbr.com
    (was) Big in Japan

Life span of DHR Frames?

I have a 2001 DHR. I love this bike! I believe it is still a competitive DH bike, and I want to keep on loving it (not in the Biblical sense!). But it needs new needle bearings in the linkages, and the Fox shock just died. I'd love to get it fixed, but am worried about spending the cash over winter, and then having the frame/swingarm crack next season. Seems like a strong bike to me, will it hold up? It already has three hard seasons under its belt.

Here's a pic!

Any recommendo for a new shock?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TheSingleGuy; 10-18-2004 at 06:17 AM. Reason: it
    Ride.

Flyin Canine
    Not sure about the lifespan question but if the shock just has blown seals or something why not get it serviced at fox or even send it to Push? It's a lot cheaper than buying a new shock like a romic and it doesn't look like you have clearance for many of the shocks on the market like the dhx or 5th anyway.

Now with flavor!!
    Interesting read

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...ight=DHR+crack

In summary (my experience, not just what's in that thread)

01,02 frames : Ovalizing headtubes, cracked shock mounts (more so with the bolt on mount version

03: Broken swing link, goes pretty quickly, mine happened within the forst 10 rides, broken main pivot housing-high stress area too close to a weld on thin aluminum

04: Haven't heard of anything constistent yet

I still see lots of frames like yours around being ridden pretty hard.

(was) Big in Japan

thanks dude,

I will check that out for sure. There are still heaps of them here in Japan too. They seem to last here, but most Japanese riders are a lot lighter than me.

I also heard that they can crack near the main pivot if you continue to ride them when the main pivot gets sloppy. Makes sense, mine was really loose and moving side to side A LOT.
    Ride.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSingleGuy
    I will check that out for sure. There are still heaps of them here in Japan too. They seem to last here, but most Japanese riders are a lot lighter than me.

I also heard that they can crack near the main pivot if you continue to ride them when the main pivot gets sloppy. Makes sense, mine was really loose and moving side to side A LOT.
    Yeah make sure you keep that thing tight. Don't EVER ride it loose or you'll be putting a lot of stress on the swing link as well as causing impacts at the main pivot. I know the older ones needed pretty frequent checks.

(was) Big in Japan

Loctite

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Yeah make sure you keep that thing tight. Don't EVER ride it loose or you'll be putting a lot of stress on the swing link as well as causing impacts at the main pivot. I know the older ones needed pretty frequent checks.
    Loctite did me proud, It was never loose except for the bearing play. But I changed the main pivot bearings a while ago, as well as the pivot shaft, and it was great. Then the needle bearings in the linkages died! Oh well, it was WAY OVERDUE for TLC. Thanks for the link to RideMonkey, that was an interesting read, and reassuring enough to tell me to stick with the DHR.

Damn fine bike. Dunno if I could go back to a bike with a high BB now...
    Ride.